Where to set input and output gain on WOS III?

heythere

I have a question about using WOS III plugin. When using the 2 mics together, my input and output gain naturally goes into the red.

I hear no signs of clipping. When I bring the sound just into the greens, the volume is too low. So bring up the volume in the track but it doesn't seem to get loud enough.

I want to achieve the best possible natural sound, so wondering how important it is to keep things in the green on the plugin itself. This is all done in post of recording, so not sure how big of a difference this is supposed to make.

How do you guys generally use WOS in conjunction w/ your Daw?

Well, on most DAW, it won't make any difference, as long as you don't clip the output of your sound interface. Going into the red means you are going above the 0dB FS, but most DAW allow this without actualy clipping. If you just lower the sound later (typically, at the master output, or at the track output), it's ok.

But a good practice would be to just set the levels so you get approximately into the orange both at the input and output. You have Input and Output settings for that.

Please note that the input level will also play on the saturation of the Power Amp and Overload parameter. Depending on what you want to achieve, you may want to get more (or less) level at the inpout.
The output is less critical, as long as your DAW doesn't clip it. You may also want to check that plug-ins put after the WoS don't clip.

I understand this...but I'm talking about getting ultimate sweet spot tones without clipping. In people's experience, do they have general rules of keeping WOS III in the green or orange, or does it really not matter as long as it's not clipping?

Back