Which has more low end... VH4 or Hebert? Making Decision...

ajharris1215

I have an '06 VH4 and I love it. However, I've recently considered purchasing a new Hebert. I've never played on or even heard an Herbert in person, but research tells me it may fit my needs better than the VH4.

I definately don't want to sacrifice any low end(the VH4 has the best low end I've ever heard after owning Splawn, Bogner, Framus, VHT, Rivera, Engl, Marshall, Mesa, etc.). I probably can't afford to own both an Hebert and a VH4 at the same time, so this is my dilema.

I play metal, but not traditionally. I like TONE. I play Custom Shop Gibsons (mostly les pauls), and PRS guitars.

The first song on this link is from our new album, Integers, which was recorded with gibsons on VH4's. The rigs are pretty much split right and left.
https://www.myspace.com/collapsar

Please check out the link and give me any feedback you can to help me decide if I should get an Hebert... I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Adam

I'm more than sure that the Herbert will blow you up, and even fit you way better than the VH4... the herbert is completely amazing, the most versatile out there, and by far amazing for metal (and for your music as well).

Off course, the best would be check it in person, but, ...

You cant go wrog with a Herbert... ;)

BTW, nice song ;) I've added you in my band space ;) :rock:

thanks for the compliment and the info... it helps.

doesn't the vh4 produce a different low end, maybe more, than the Hebert? i hear that the vh4's low end is tighter... i just don't want to get an hebert and be dissapointed by it's low end compared to my vh4.

Being disappointed with a Herbert's low end is the last of your worries. The Herbert has a monstrous, tight low end. I found the Herbert's 2nd and 3rd channel is a bit juicier than the 3rd channel of the VH4. IMO the Herbert is bigger sounding, while the VH4 is a bit more in your face.

I guess you need to tell us what sort of tone you are looking for. You keep mentioning low end, which won't be a problem with Herbert. From what I've heard on your myspace you might want to check out the Uberschall.

nbarts":58301 said:
I guess you need to tell us what sort of tone you are looking for. You keep mentioning low end, which won't be a problem with Herbert. From what I've heard on your myspace you might want to check out the Uberschall.

yeah. i've played a few Uberschall's, and i own a modified XTC that i'll never get rid of. IMHO, Diezels brutally murder uberschalls. thanks though... btw, i've admired the lp custom in your pic since joining this forum.

i don't use a typical "shred" sound like you'll hear in most styles of metal with jacksons and esp's etc. i play with a very loud rich penatrating and clear sound that vibrates the bowels of people in the vicinity of it. almost vintage but with a "sci-fi" modern quality. in my original post, i capitalized the word TONE to get this point accross... at the same time, i use a lot of quick "stop,start" palm mutes and timings that require extremely tight low end from my amps. its a difficult combination to achieve, but my VH4 pulls it off nicely. i'm not at all dissapointed with the VH4, but if i'd be happier with the Hebert, i'd switch to that.

it seems as though my primary concern, losing low end, may not be an issue going from the vh4 to the hebert. again, i appreciate all the input...

All my guitars are LP customs, with exception of one 7 string Schecter. If there was a good 7 string LP Custom to replace it with I would do it instantly. ;)

It's probably not a big secret that Herbert is my favorite amp, but..

1st Uberschall has DA TONE, but you need to spend some time to dial it right. First time I've tried it my impression was ... well ....not a good one. Later I've learned to dial it right & it sounded awesome. Seriously, right PU & cab combination makes Uberschall sing like no other amp I've heard. I've tried Uber with many guitars,but my LP Custom with EMG81s just blew me away & I'm not that much of EMG fan, I like more vintage vibe.

As for Diezels VS Bogners - I don't think they are comparable, very different, each one has it's own definite place.

If you are thinking of adding a Herbert to your collection, by all means do it, but don't think you can replace your VH4 with Herbert, not for what I've heard in your myspace.

nbarts":acd81 said:
All my guitars are LP customs, with exception of one 7 string Schecter. If there was a good 7 string LP Custom to replace it with I would do it instantly. ;)

It's probably not a big secret that Herbert is my favorite amp, but..

1st Uberschall has DA TONE, but you need to spend some time to dial it right. First time I've tried it my impression was ... well ....not a good one. Later I've learned to dial it right & it sounded awesome. Seriously, right PU & cab combination makes Uberschall sing like no other amp I've heard. I've tried Uber with many guitars,but my LP Custom with EMG81s just blew me away & I'm not that much of EMG fan, I like more vintage vibe.

As for Diezels VS Bogners - I don't think they are comparable, very different, each one has it's own definite place.

If you are thinking of adding a Herbert to your collection, by all means do it, but don't think you can replace your VH4 with Herbert, not for what I've heard in your myspace.

cool. i've never spent extended periods of time with an uberschall turning dials and plugging a myriad of guitars into it. but i've played on many amps that required that kind of attention(i.e. mesa). i would say my Bogner XTC is like that, and possesses a vintage vibe that inspires me, especially on 2 v30 loaded bogner cabs. its a very different beast than my vh4.

i'm not an EMG fan either. i do have an older ESP Viper with 81's, but i'm about to sell that guitar. its great for people who are into it, but usually EMG's have that "shred" sound that i lean away from. i like a big dynamic and pure tone usually achieved by alninco pickups like gibson, bartollini, and rio grand.

i wish i could afford to buy a new hebert outright, but i can't. if i do buy one, replacing my vh4 is exactly what i would be doing... i may just drive to a dealer and check out an Hebert in person. thanks again!

incidentally, Gibson is now making a Baritone Les Paul Custom (i played one and it was alright), and I hear there are some 7-string Les Paul prototypes at the Custom Shop in Nashville, TN.

The low end is different and not as tight on the Herbert, most have neglected to tell you that here.
To me the Vh-4 is twice the amp the herbert is honestly.. The Feel is a bit different with the Herbert having a more spongy feel and the lowend is not as tight but they also have alot of similarities. VH4 is more versatile, hands down but the Herbert has a better clean.
The Herbert does not sound that great in the mids without the Midcut on and when it is on the highend sounds very processed unless the head is very loud. I've owned both and I would stick with what you have.. Lots of hype about the Herbert

i bought my VH4 from Brian at Elite Music Sales in Montgomery, AL. i've also bought a bogner XTC and 3 4x12 cabinets from him (2 bogners, 1 diezel). i live in louisiana, but it turns out that i'll be touring through montgomery next month. so i'll stop at Elite Music and play on an Hebert. also, i may give the Ubershall another chance while i'm there, at least a closer examination than i've given it in the past (don't worry, i'd never move from diezel to bogner; if i get an Uberschall, i would definately keep my VH4).

something tells me that the hype around the Hebert may be clouding my judgement. i've spoken with a few dealers throughout the states, and they all seem to like the VH4 better than the Hebert. and i think they're honest opinions, not biased because the VH4 cost a $100 more (us dealer prices - salwender distributed).

if i didn't have upcoming shows to play, i would just fly to Annaheim, CA for the NAMM show next week and be done with it. i could play on everything Diezel has to offer, not to mention talking to Peter himself. i think i'd be better informed to make a decision after that. i'm also about to buy a 2x15 cabinet, and i really want to cheack out the Diezel one that Salwender offers on his website... but i don't know if that would even be at the upcoming NAMM show.

thanks to everyone for your input...

- adam

Hype - I don't think so. I'd say misrepresentation. I've noticed a lot of people on the net who talk about Herbert don't have any first hand experience with it, but this applies not only to Herbert.

guitarman967":dc64b said:
The Vh-4 is twice the amp the herbert is honestly.. the Feels are a bit different with the Herbert having a more spongy feel and the lowend is not as tight. The Herbert does not sound that great in the mids without the Midcut on and when it is on the highend sounds very processed unless the head is very loud. I've owned both and I would stick with what you have.. Lots of hype about the Herbert

I totally disagree. Matter of factly I think the Herbert is twice the amp the VH4 is...so there! :bleh:

Dude, it's all opinion, but from what the thread-starter wants, the Herbert seems the better choice.

i dig my herbert too, i dont find the mids awkward or the highs processed at all! plus i dont even play much metal at all, i play alot of leads and i find the herbert as nice as my mark iv. just my 2 cents. i got alot of clips if u wanna hear some proof ;)
peace
A Wood

Horses for courses really... Personally the voicing of the VH4 didn't do it for me, and I much prefer the way that the Herbert sounds even without the whole mid-cut business - the 'size' vs 'in your face' comparison is very true. I'd love a Herb but, to be brutally honest, I'm rubbish with complicated amps and anything musical that I need to program... and I love my Einstein!

Best thing to do is sit down and A/B them. The VH4 and Herbert have very different personalities and it's really down to how each works with you. ;)

I'm going to have both in my possesion for a bit and will give you my thoughts on the comparison. I play Metal also. :rock:

I just got my VH4 yesterday. Facing it off against my Herbert... Initial thoughts are they can be dialed quite similar, both have that killer Diezel tone. I don't understand how someone could love one and hate the other...

I found I could get usable sounds and shades of gain out of all 4 channels.

So far the VH4 is in the lead over Herb. I love the tightness and it seems to have a fuller midrange voicing in some ways. The clean is not quite as nice but that's not my priority, it's definitely still good and very high headroom.

I haven't tried it with the band yet, that will be tonight so we'll see....more to come! :rock:

hmm, do i need to consider a switch? how close are the amps honestly? would it be worth my trouble? what exactly puts the vh 4 "in the lead"? how different is the clean channel? Leads are the most important thing for me, so which amp would be nicer? Is the tightness on the vh 4 gonna make it too stiff feeling for leads? i strive for the polished smooth lead tone. sorry for all the questions but, i could really suse some advice hear. Would i just be trading for a really similar amp? its been so long since i have heard the vh 4 my ears have forgotten. thanks for your help fellas

peace
Andy W

Back