Which speaker for 'wet' effected sounds? V30 or MC90?

petejt

I'm assembling a stereo 2x12 oversized speaker cabinet with an 8 ohm Celestion Vintage 30 and an 8 ohm Mesa/Boogie Black Shadow MC90. The impedance will be 8 ohms per side (basically there are two inputs, hard wired to one speaker or the other).

I'll be using a Mesa/Boogie 50/50 stereo power amp to run it. [EDIT]: Think of it as a "wet/dry" cab where one speaker is fed by a completely effected ('wet') signal, and the other a completely dry signal. The preamp/s before it could be anything. But I do have an idea to run it as an extension cab to my Roland JC 120 so it's like the 4x12 JC160 (like Robert Smith of The Cure).

9rir0z.jpg

2i1051c.jpg

2lw1u2h.jpg

Which speaker would sound better when used with completely 'wet', effected sounds? The V30 or Black Shadow?

Is this supposed to be a wet cab only or a wet in one speaker and dry in the other?
If it's just a wet cab I'd say go with all v30's or go with the same speaker as in your dry cab.

Oblivion DC":3bbwin6j said:
Is this supposed to be a wet cab only or a wet in one speaker and dry in the other?
If it's just a wet cab I'd say go with all v30's or go with the same speaker as in your dry cab.

It's a stereo cab, or lets call it a "wet/dry" cab. One channel is the V30, the other is the MC90. They each have their own socket and run by a stereo power amp.

That's why I posted a photo of it, so you can see the cab and the speakers in it.

So which speaker should be the 'wet' speaker? The V30 or the MC90?

You should ask yourself which should be the dry speaker. That's the more important sound as it'll be on all the time. If it was my setup I'd use two of the same type of speaker that way I wouldn't have to worry about eq differences between speakers.
With what you have currently I'd go with the v30 for my dry sound.

Personally I would use the one with the lowest watts as the "wet" speaker because you will need far less volume with that one....

Thanks for your responses.

I guess I should say that I was turned off the V30 a while ago. I got sick of its sound in a 4x12 and have since really like the Black Shadows (I have two in a 4x12 with EV speakers). But somehow I found an old V30 in my possession (you can see the rust marks) and as I have a new cabinet I may as well make use of it. I swapped the Black Shadow from a 4x12 with the original speaker from the 2x12 cab which I bought (I didn't build it, just re-assembled it now).

The effects running through this are likely to be chorus and/or flanger, from clean to distorted sounds. I want to use the cab with my JC 120 so it sorta becomes a JC 160 as well.

I guess it all depends on whether I want the V30 to be 'coated' so to speak, or use the Shadow as the wet speaker since it has a higher headroom?

I would go with the more neutral speaker, which is the mc90 for the wet speaker. Try it both ways though, should be a quick check.

Back