Why didn't Vernon Reid get the same respect as a guitarist as his peers?

Why wasn't he/the band as respected and popular?

• Total voters
I loved Living Colour back in the day 88-90s…. They got the same radio play as like White Lion, Cinderella, etc. That album had one good hit, though. A later album had a good song, Leave It Alone. I don’t care what color they are, those songs still rock.

I think he got his due back when they were kings for the one song they had. If they had more longevit and hits, he’d be more up there. But he was all up in the guitar mags in the late 80s-90s

When I first heard the song cult of personality, I thought it was pretty good until I got to the lead and my brain malfunctioned. A friend of mine a couple of days later asked if I had heard the song, and he also commented on the schizophrenic lead how it was possibly the most disjointed lead he had ever heard in his life. Perhaps Vernon heard Jeff Hanneman, and said I’ll do something like that, without realizing how brilliant Jeff Hanneman was, and how his leads weren’t schizophrenic, they actually had vision, character and meaning. To this day, I still have not found any appreciation for that style of schizophrenia nonsense that some people love.

When I was a small child, I would have nightmares that I was playing a Square Guitar like Bo Diddley‘s. To this day, I hate Square guitars. After hearing that lead, I’ve vowed, I would never play a lead as bad as that, at least give it a thought of what might actually sound really good before I put something down on tape that’s just pure nonsense.

Truly a nightmare to listen to that lead!

Twice opening for the Stones in 1988 and headlining with Kings X opening in 1990
Edit-just remembered I saw them twice at Lolalpallooza in 1991 so a total of 5x
Saw them in Boston when they were touring for Time’s Up. They were awesome. They have quite a few great songs. They shine a lot more as just a good band than as a showcase for Vernon Reid. In fact they’re a showcase for Calhoun and Skillings who were a seriously badass rhythm section. I always liked Dr Know and Rocky George’s guitar playing a lot more if we’re talking black players doing rock etc from that time.

I always thought Vernon's leads sound like a rock player who woke up one day and said "I'm a jazz player now!".... without actually knowing how to be one.
(*kind of like me...actually)

I had that album and loved it. Vernon Reid played some sloppy stuff but I liked sone of his riffs.

I like "Cult of Personality" but I think "Funny Vibe" is a better song. Some great songs on that album but Vernon Reid definitely played stuff that fit the feel of the song.

He just came out at the tail end of technical playing. They got popular about the time the power ballad ruined the 80’s rock genre.
When Cult of Personality first came out I wasn’t sure what to think. We played it in a few bands. After awhile I got what he was going for on that solo. In the context of that song I think it is pretty cool.

His solo in cult of personality is very much spazmattic .
It makes no musical sense and just random notes.
I would agree the slayer doing rock.
I also agree with the song open letter to landlord is a great song.

I saw them twice. I worked security at the Stones show at Three Rivers Stadium, fall 1989, worked in the pit, saw the soundcheck and the show. Saw them again when they came back around on their own at the Syria Mosque, also worked security and got a signed setlist and photo with all of them. I really like Glamour Boys and I Want to Know more than COP. But they were a good band. The next album had three great tunes on it too - Type, Elvis is Dead and Love Rears Up Its Ugly Head.

This was so awesome.

Not enough of a music library
6 Living Colour albums and he's worked on about 33 albums in total. Not too shabby

I dunno about all this one hit talk. They had good success with 'Type', 'Cult..', 'Leave It Alone' and 'Love rears its Ugly Head' on the charts.

I'm guessing people here must hate Kim Thayil's lead work too.

Last edited:
Saw them in Boston when they were touring for Time’s Up. They were awesome. They have quite a few great songs. They shine a lot more as just a good band than as a showcase for Vernon Reid. In fact they’re a showcase for Calhoun and Skillings who were a seriously badass rhythm section. I always liked Dr Know and Rocky George’s guitar playing a lot more if we’re talking black players doing rock etc from that time.
Agree totally and Jimi Hazel from 247-Spyz.

I liked Living Color and saw them open for the Stones. That was an odd pairing for me but I liked their show. I thought their songs overall were not as good as say "King's X" or other funkier rock bands. I will admit to lusting after that ESP that Vernon played back then. I wanted one badly ha. They were a great band but did not really fit into the box like a lot of other bands of that ilk.

For me, Vernon's chords and riffs were cool. I did not mind his tone but his leads were pretty sloppy for the times we were in.

I still like playing Cult of Personality though and I think my band is going to cover it. That prechorus riff is a work out ha.

6 Living Colour albums and he's worked on about 33 albums in total. Not too shabby

I dunno about all this one hit talk. They had good success with 'Type', 'Cult..', 'Leave It Alone' and 'Love rears its Ugly Head' on the charts.

I'm guessing people here must hate Kim Thayil's lead work too.
Yes - I really do hate Kim Thayil's guitar playing a lot I must admit. It actually ruins Soundgarden for me and always did. I do like some songs and of course Black Hole Sun is killer.

Back