Why do my YouTube uploads not sound right?

marshallmel

Is there done way to optimize the upload so it sounds the way it does prior? Everyone else’s clips sound great on there. Mine sound nothing like what I record.

I’ve not tried YouTube but every site I upload to does a little something to my mixes, I usually back off my master bus compression just a tad to compensate when I render, if there’s a site that dosent mess things up I’d like to know too

I’ve not tried YouTube but every site I upload to does a little something to my mixes, I usually back off my master bus compression just a tad to compensate when I render, if there’s a site that dosent mess things up I’d like to know too
I just spent a good portion of my morning doing a vid and it sounded huge and full prior to the upload. All my YouTube stuff sounds like it’s 100 feet down a hall.

Is there done way to optimize the upload so it sounds the way it does prior? Everyone else’s clips sound great on there. Mine sound nothing like what I record.
The audio shouldn't change that drastically, in fact it's usually imperceptible to most listeners. Something's gone wrong somewhere.

Post some examples of before and after, maybe we can help you troubleshoot. Also include what the file type was, how it was created etc.

Uploading WAVs to a file sharing site like Dropbox or Google Drive is the only sure-fire way man. Many 'music' sharing sites transcode the audio to a (data) compressed format. Often it's fine, sometimes artefacts are introduced.

But Youtube isn't horrible like is often made out. I'll see if I can find the post, I'm sure it was here - I uploaded a video (with audio) to Youtube, then redownloaded it and ripped the audio. This was then put up against the source WAV - no audible change although as expected they didn't quite phase-cancel. Close enough for rock n' roll though.

Also worth noting - I often read comments about Youtube 'compressing' audio. Seems like many believe this to be audio compression, i.e. a change in dynamics. This is not the case, it's data compression - meaning a high-resolution audio file (usually a WAV) is transcoded into something resembling an mp3. It's typically no worse than Spotify.

Last edited:
And this is why your amps in your basement at 10 sound nothing like the clips! See it's a conspiracy from the manufacturers to have you continually buy shit you think sounds great and then sell it when the honeymoon is over and buy more shit !!! OH YEAH !!!

The audio shouldn't change that drastically, in fact it's usually imperceptible to most listeners. Something's gone wrong somewhere.

Post some examples of before and after, maybe we can help you troubleshoot. Also include what the file type was, how it was created etc.

Uploading WAVs to a file sharing site like Dropbox or Google Drive is the only sure-fire way man. Many 'music' sharing sites transcode the audio to a (data) compressed format. Often it's fine, sometimes you artefacts are introduced.

But Youtube isn't horrible like is often made out. I'll see if I can find the post, I'm sure it was here - I uploaded a video (with audio) to Youtube, then redownloaded it and ripped the audio. This was then put up against the source WAV - no audible change although as expected they didn't quite phase-cancel. Close enough for rock n' roll though.

While I'm ranting, I often read comments about Youtube 'compressing' audio. Seems like many believe this to be audio compression, i.e. a change in dynamics. This is not the case, it's data compression - meaning a high-resolution audio file (usually a WAV) is transcoded into something resembling an mp3. It's typically no worse than Spotify.

yeah for me its no where near as bad as the OP, i do notice a subtle little difference though, and sometimes its not even a bad thing

I delete the files from my computer after uploading so a before and after at this point isn’t possible.

For more info I usually go into a Captor X, then a UA Volt2, and into Ableton 11. The videos on my YouTube account are a mix of iPhone clips and the captor x route.

I delete the files from my computer after uploading so a before and after at this point isn’t possible.

For more info I usually go into a Captor X, then a UA Volt2, and into Ableton 11. The videos on my YouTube account are a mix of iPhone clips and the captor x route.
Ok next time keep the original file and post it and the Youtube link here - there must be something fishy going on.

Here's that old thread - before and after are virtually identical: https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/youtube-audio-quality-test-with-wizard-clips.237238/

The stuff I’m doing with the captor x and interface into computer…they sound “far away” for lack of a better term. The stuff that’s recorded with a regular iPhone sounds better than the stuff that’s made for recording.

The stuff I’m doing with the captor x and interface into computer…they sound “far away” for lack of a better term. The stuff that’s recorded with a regular iPhone sounds better than the stuff that’s made for recording.
Ok so it's not a Youtube problem at all then. Post a clip - far away means reverbant/distant to some, muffled/undefined to others.

Could be a hardware issue, or the IR, or a combination. If you're using the Two Notes WOS plugin it could be one of a dozen settings - not a fan at all of that software.

Ok so it's not a Youtube problem at all then. Post a clip - far away means reverbant/distant to some, muffled/undefined to others.

Could be a hardware issue, or the IR, or a combination. If you're using the Two Notes WOS plugin it could be one of a dozen settings - not a fan at all of that software.
Far away and small sounding would be my description. I’m using the iPhone app that comes with the captor x. I don’t have the full wall of sound plug in. Here’s my last upload.

https://youtu.be/_t4juZoilAA?si=wdH02w-HZMq20hmU

I just want to make decent sounding clips and demos. I’m not trying to grow a channel or get a million views or be an influencer or some day shill gear like a stooge or have sweetwater hand out Marshallmel bit o honey.

Ok there's a severe lack of low mids and bass. I'll rule out the possibility that the amp is dialled in to be that thin, so it could be:

- the load box has a serious issue
- the interface has a HPF enabled
- a thin sounding IR
- some other software issue, be it in Two Notes or Ableton
- a cable fault

It's going to take some trouble shooting man.

Thanks for giving me a few starting points. I doubt it’s the IR and it’s definitely not the amp. I’m listening back through headphones on the Captor X while I’m playing and it sounds pretty darn good.

I’ll futz with it tomorrow and see what I can get figured out.

I think I may have figured it out by watching a video. I had the audio input device as the volt2, which is correct. However, I had the audio output device incorrect. Got that configured correctly and I’ll try to get a video up tomorrow to see if it’s any better.

I recently got an SD-1 and was pretty happy with it in front of my Quick Rod. Not so much on the Rectos. Looks like you got it sorted hopefully. ZEN is the man :yes:

Back