Why isn't Splawn more popular?

tlp1234

Probably stupid question....rag on me I probably deserve it ;)

The clips I've heard sound as good to my ears as anything I have.

I'll be passing thru Atlanta next week, and planning to stop at Atlanta Discount Music to give one a try.

I think as much as people will deny it, part of it is that they aren't crazy expensive. I had a Quick Rod that I would say was at least as good tone wise as any other "modded Marshall" style amp I've ever heard sound wise, and was way more user friendly than most of them, too.

The Loop master, footswitchable solo boost, footswitchable gain boost. All great features.

If I am to go back to a Splawn it would be a Competition, just because I don't use a clean channel anyways, but I wouldn't hesitate to do that should I find myself in that market again.

I think part of it too, is that Scott never chased down a big name endorsement... Or, ever secured a big name endorsement. I've got three of them, and around these parts when I say "Splawn" everyone is like.. "huh??". They've never heard of the brand. I think that if there ever was a big name that had visibility using them on stage and the brand got more exposure, then you'd see the popularity go up. Although, these days I think Scott is looking more toward retirement than he would be trying to ramp up production. At least that's what it sounded like the last time I talked to him when I ordered my 22w Quickrod, which was probably middle of last year.

I agree War_in_D

I remember reading a long time ago on the splawn proboards that Scott likes his world/pace just the way it is. I don't think he could handle higher volumes. So outside of occasional posts on the Splawn Facebook page, he doesn't advertise or pull in big names.

Hell, I have 4 or 5 pics of Killswitch Engage using Splawns on stage and I seriously doubt those were free or an endorsement or anything like that.

Plus some people don't like where the mids sit in Splawns so there's that.

I'm a big fan of Splawn amps. Owned a few Nitros and QRs. My last QR with KT88s was pretty awesome. I only sold it because I preferred the Wizard MC2 for those tones.

This list I made is over 10 years old:

Stuck Mojo - I'm American (I think both guitarists are using Nitros or Quick Rods.

Killswitch Engage used Splawn Nitros on the 2010 tour as well as their last album.

Godsmack are also using Splawn

Recent Filter show (you can see a Splawn toward the end)

Stuff from Blackoz (fortress66) Quickrod - Guns n Roses cover band

Fireflight

Carl Roa - Satch tones on a Nitro

Protest the Hero - using a Nitro on latest album
http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=news&action=display&thread=8421
Stryper was seen on stage with a Splawn

Adding:

Al Estrada - David Lee Roth's band and Al's cover band

I agree War_in_D

I remember reading a long time ago on the splawn proboards that Scott likes his world/pace just the way it is. I don't think he could handle higher volumes. So outside of occasional posts on the Splawn Facebook page, he doesn't advertise or pull in big names.

Hell, I have 4 or 5 pics of Killswitch Engage using Splawns on stage and I seriously doubt those were free or an endorsement or anything like that.

Plus some people don't like where the mids sit in Splawns so there's that.
He should have used killswitch to help his line

I think part of it too, is that Scott never chased down a big name endorsement... Or, ever secured a big name endorsement. I've got three of them, and around these parts when I say "Splawn" everyone is like.. "huh??". They've never heard of the brand. I think that if there ever was a big name that had visibility using them on stage and the brand got more exposure, then you'd see the popularity go up. Although, these days I think Scott is looking more toward retirement than he would be trying to ramp up production. At least that's what it sounded like the last time I talked to him when I ordered my 22w Quickrod, which was probably middle of last year.
My trip through ATL DSCNT Music....all they had in the store was a 6V6 Quickrod.

I really liked it. Almost bought it on he spot. Decided to wait a while. Got so much stuff here at home in Texas, need to take some time decide if I really want it. I usually keep most everything I buy. Also, not inherently fond of 6V6 power sections. The Carr Mercury V being the worst one I've heard/owned. Had a Wizard MC25.....that one didn't do it for me either. Obviously I'm in the minority on this though. Plenty of others slobberingly gush over these.

But after trying many 6V6'ers post vintage Fender Deluxe Reverb, I do get the 6V6 thing now. So far I dig the Matchless Laurel Canyon....but yeah I know, different animal. Not a fair comparison.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BUT......it sounded better than my imagination anticipated. And not a bad price. Would have been more inclined to get it then if the sales guy would have let me remove and take a look at the chassis. Not a normal request obviously......so I empathize his aversion to that.

But yes they definitely have their own sound. I definitely see a Splawn in my future.

I find it fascinating how these things set in the market. My ears put my Wizards, SLO's, Friedmans in the same camp. My ears love them all. All slightly different yet similar.

Getting old. Tell myself every year NO MORE AMPS!!.........until next time ;) (.......confessions of a fossilized luddite gear hoarder)

Thanks for all the replies so far.

You guys are badass. (y)(y)

I love my 6V6 Quickrod. In fact, I recently sold my 100 watter QR and kept the 22 watter. My 100w was a 2020 and my 22w is a 2022, so not sure if there were any design or circuit tweaks but the 22w just sounds more agressive than the big boy QR I had. I know they used different trannys, as the 100w had Classic Tone and the new one is something different. That's not to say that there was anything wrong with the 100W QR.. it was a great amp. There is something just a smidge better in the 22w.

The Nitro is an amazing amp if you know how to set it. If you start with the traditional tone settings at noon, you will never get its full potential.

Agreed.. got one of those too. LOL Although, mine has been "modded" a bit. I still need to take the Bogner logo off, and put the Splawn logo on it. Started life as an EL34 model, had it modded to KT88's by Scott when I had the "fully loaded" mods done.. and then had my local amp tech take it back to EL34's. This amp had plenty of bottom end originally, and the KT88's just enhanced it that much more.. It was too much. The resonance knob became useless.

Splogner Nitro.jpg

Agreed.. got one of those too. LOL Although, mine has been "modded" a bit. I still need to take the Bogner logo off, and put the Splawn logo on it. Started life as an EL34 model, had it modded to KT88's by Scott when I had the "fully loaded" mods done.. and then had my local amp tech take it back to EL34's. This amp had plenty of bottom end originally, and the KT88's just enhanced it that much more.. It was too much. The resonance knob became useless.

View attachment 137233Assuming you like the EL34’s better than the KT88’s?

Yes, in the Nitro. I'm not sure if a Nitro that was ordered with KT88's from the factory would sound any differently, but I didn't care for the amp as it was with the conversion.

Probably stupid question....rag on me I probably deserve it ;)

The clips I've heard sound as good to my ears as anything I have.

I'll be passing thru Atlanta next week, and planning to stop at Atlanta Discount Music to give one a try.
I loved the clips.. Got my Street Rod and it sounded great but it has this certain sound about it that starts to grate on my ears after a while. It does one thing great but for me I got tired of it... it was almost to muffled unless you have it way to loud.

Back