Why the urge

alund

Why do I, we constantly look for “things” when maybe the set up you have is just right; grass is greener so to speak. I have what I think is the best sound for me, more guitars than finger, and other shiit that I could never use with the amount I play? Collecting? Too good of a deal to pass up? Some thing new Ie “strange”? Idk. I keep finding myself with any of my habits constantly looking.. maybe if I spent more time playing. Woah the the man with 1 gun. Food for thought and mental masturbation at bedtime.

I’m at a level now that I’d trade for something but I have no real desire to grab anymore big ticket items. Pedals, simple stuff sure, but I’m done with the big stuff.

I had plans to buy recording gear this year but I’m in a player rut. Hard to justify playing with the current tube market and covid combined, I’d rather just let it sit and put time and effort into other hobbies or fixing up our house.

Long story short I still play but not the big stuff as much as I once did. Nothing is going anywhere, but it certainly stopped every single bit of looking for the next thing - I don’t even utilize to the fullest extent what I currently own.

I’m at a level now that I’d trade for something but I have no real desire to grab anymore big ticket items. Pedals, simple stuff sure, but I’m done with the big stuff.

I had plans to buy recording gear this year but I’m in a player rut. Hard to justify playing with the current tube market and covid combined, I’d rather just let it sit and put time and effort into other hobbies or fixing up our house.

Long story short I still play but not the big stuff as much as I once did. Nothing is going anywhere, but it certainly stopped every single bit of looking for the next thing - I don’t even utilize to the fullest extent what I currently own.
Very relatable. I still look. But a lot of times it’s more out of curiosity than want. I really only have 1 more amp on my list. Before I wanted everything and then some. But I also know I’m not getting everything there is to get out of my current setup. So I want to focus on that. And my chops

I wanted to try a bunch of stuff. The last time I was into gear in the 90s I was into the big rack thing.
First it was buying import guitars,then getting custom guitars built.
Then it was the amps and cabs thing. Wanted to try out all the cool new high gain stuff from 2006 to 2018 or so.
Most of these amp brands didn't exist when I quit playing in 98 or so. I wanted to try them all.
Fucking Mailman and a couple of you other fuckers were total enablers. Made buying or swapping gear way too easy.
My ability to drive almost anywhere in the lower 48 states didn't help.
I bought/swapped so much gear while on the road it was crazy.
Definitely raised my credit rating. If I had half in cash, I would just blast the credit card and pay it off.
Now I have more gear than I know what to do with, and a great credit score. Paid everything off and lots of money in the bank.
Can't complain. I win in my book.

Very relatable. I still look. But a lot of times it’s more out of curiosity than want. I really only have 1 more amp on my list. Before I wanted everything and then some. But I also know I’m not getting everything there is to get out of my current setup. So I want to focus on that. And my chops
Yeah… that’s the thing; why look.. remember what Hannibal Lecture said: We covet ! Then we want it. I’m also a weapons collector and it’s so hard not to just take a peek “curiosity” is a good word-then all of a sudden I have a few more snipers rifles. But what would you do if someone had a fire sale as they needed money to fund Whatever…. And a 59 Les Paul is for 1500 bucks? Maybe the dude didn’t know what he had. A Dumble sitting in the corner of a swap meet for 100 bucks. Even though we don’t need it; is the thought in your mind that a deal like that would be missed? We hear stories like that chick recently who found a 2000 year old bust of some Roman emperor for 35 bucks … WTH. If I don’t look, I don’t know but I can’t help it. I think I’ve described Guitar Anonymous.

Why do I, we constantly look for “things” when maybe the set up you have is just right; grass is greener so to speak. I have what I think is the best sound for me, more guitars than finger, and other shiit that I could never use with the amount I play? Collecting? Too good of a deal to pass up? Some thing new Ie “strange”? Idk. I keep finding myself with any of my habits constantly looking.. maybe if I spent more time playing. Woah the the man with 1 gun. Food for thought and mental masturbation at bedtime.

It's the human condition. Look right back to Homo habilis 2.31 million years ago. They would collect and gather things nessesary to survive. This happened right up to Homo Spaiens who started collecting non-survival items and trading.

Combine that the techniques of late-stage-capatalisms attempt to force us to consume as much as possible with the promise of happiness.

It gets even more emotionally driven when people combine this with a hobby that has items to collect, trade and experience.

Then you have the perfect storm for the human condition to engage cognitive dissonence and believe we require more, more and more.

The average gear nut could get away with a 500$ guitar and an AxeFX 2 and they know that....

It's the human condition. Look right back to Homo habilis 2.31 million years ago. They would collect and gather things nessesary to survive. This happened right up to Homo Spaiens who started collecting non-survival items and trading.

Combine that the techniques of late-stage-capatalisms attempt to force us to consume as much as possible with the promise of happiness.

It gets even more emotionally driven when people combine this with a hobby that has items to collect, trade and experience.

Then you have the perfect storm for the human condition to engage cognitive dissonence and believe we require more, more and more.

The average gear nut could get away with a 500$ guitar and an AxeFX 2 and they know that....
Well said! Funny thing is the exact same feeling for my vintage guns gives me the same feelings for about 30 mins; then…. What have you done for me lately enters my mind. I will say from a playing music standpoint I would probably never need anything ever again… I do however think about the lochness green Jem 777 every now and then. But I’m not paying 6000 plus just to ding it up. I say that; then an original pops up for 2500; I wish.

I wanted to try a bunch of stuff. The last time I was into gear in the 90s I was into the big rack thing.
First it was buying import guitars,then getting custom guitars built.
Then it was the amps and cabs thing. Wanted to try out all the cool new high gain stuff from 2006 to 2018 or so.
Most of these amp brands didn't exist when I quit playing in 98 or so. I wanted to try them all.
Fucking Mailman and a couple of you other fuckers were total enablers. Made buying or swapping gear way too easy.
My ability to drive almost anywhere in the lower 48 states didn't help.
I bought/swapped so much gear while on the road it was crazy.
Definitely raised my credit rating. If I had half in cash, I would just blast the credit card and pay it off.
Now I have more gear than I know what to do with, and a great credit score. Paid everything off and lots of money in the bank.
Can't complain. I win in my book.
you wanna tell everyone how you got all that cash big boy?

It's a hobby for some
it's a living for others
It can be addicting
Tone is subjective
It can viewed as art
So have fun....who gives a fuck?
I’ve been on both sides, making a living bouncing between cover bands out of high school and now more as a hobby (my bedtime is 10pm and I can’t stay up past 2am anymore).

I’ll tell you what, I don’t miss the sketch bars and people trying to fuck with my stuff. It’s also way more expensive to drive to practice/gigs than it used to be.

I think it has to do with the thought that there has to be a better tone out there than what your current setups deliver, and while it may be true, the real answer is there's always a different tone out there than what your setup delivers. When you listen to the same amp and guitar long enough you'll eventually find things you don't like about the tone. Small imperfections that can be remedied with a new amp... maybe it's something in the mids you don't like about your amp, or a lack of bass, or treble, something that over time bothers you.

For me personally, i've settled with what i got. I've realized that for what i'm looking for in a tone it doesn't get much better, and I'm content. GAS left me when I discovered the Mesa Mark series amplifiers. Maybe the fact that I don't really care for Marshally tones helps my case too, and most amplifiers out there are just another take on a modded jcm800.

This is probably something that a lot of guitar players are struggling with today as there's so much information and gear to obtain.

I'm gonna get a PAF style bridge pup for my super strat and then stop with the gear whoring. Time to play music again.

I’ve been on both sides, making a living bouncing between cover bands out of high school and now more as a hobby (my bedtime is 10pm and I can’t stay up past 2am anymore).

I’ll tell you what, I don’t miss the sketch bars and people trying to fuck with my stuff. It’s also way more expensive to drive to practice/gigs than it used to be.
Right on!

If I get something new, even a new strap or cable, it drives me to play more. I buy something for guitar at least every week.

OCD is GREAT!

Right?

I have had a dream star body guitar I have wanted for over a decade.
Chubtone isn't taking orders because too many people are hip to him now and want what he does(that's a good thing).
Now I've been to the Warmoth site and am looking to at least start the project and buy the body and neck.
Been SO long since I even thought about another guitar.

The search for ultimate tone NEVER ENDS even if you already have it . You convince yourself that better tone must exist, it's just the way of the guitar player.

I quit settling for something less than I want and it's helped me not buy as much. Now I have no desire to sell any of my amps. My guitars that I have now will be buried with me. My gear flipping and tone chasing was me buying what I could get now instead of saving and get what I really want. Now I'm not really in the market for a ton of stuff but I have a couple things on my wish list. If I can swing grabbing them I will, if not I will wait or not buy anything.

Back