Will JJ's make my Herbert cut better?

steve10358

I dig my Herbert as it's a lot of fun and sounds great... but is there a way to make it cut better? I generally set the gain low, the mids up and dont really use the midcut- but I still have a hard time sometimes making the amp cut. I've tried it with a Greenback 4x12, a Celestion 65w 4x12, a vintage 30 4x12 and my boogie thiele cab (EV).

Any suggestions??

Howdy Bro!

I don't know if tube changes will make your amp "cut better" or not? I assume you mean in a live mix?

If this is the case, I'll let you in on a little lesson that I've learned and have ranted & vented about on numerous forums.

I've owned many combinations of extremely good gear over the years and though I've always prided myself in having a really good stage sound, I've heard the same thing over & over again from folks in the audience over the last few decades, "I can't hear your guitar, can you turn it up?". Rather than go into detail, I'll just summarize what most players already know that have put in any amount of stage time over the last twenty years or so:

Most FOH techs these day's Suck!!!! Period!!!! :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

All bottom-end with absolutely no idea how to shelve the instruments and use their damn "ears" rather than some sophisticated piece of equipment to tell them what's going on. Once in a great while you get someone that actually has "talent" unfortunately, those folks are a very rare breed these days. :cry: :cry: :cry:

O.K. I'm going to shut the hell up now. When I get started on this rant I can go on forever. My advice to you is to dial in your Herbert to whatever sound inspires you to play, and if you get any "failure to cut" comments from some tard of a soundtech, slap him in the mouth. "He's failing at His Job"! :gethim:

I do not know how they do it. To much guitar on the stage with a horrible tone -thin/mud. Way to bright out front. When they ask me to turn down- I pretend to turn it down-they ask again, I do the same. Then they ask me to turn it up? I just set my amp the way I like it[around the same as unmiked drums] and hope for the best. Praying does not seem to help the mix. I am very glad to see someone who knows how to mix. As little as that is. You may want to try a few different preamp tubes in slot one {different brands}. That changes the tone more than anything. Tubes that look the same can have very different tones. What is said above is more often the problem.

I also feel the way I do even at rehearsal.

I'm gonna keep tweakin before I go the route of tubes. It's just wierd. I love my Herbert... but my vintage marshalls seem to cut in a way that doesnt take as much effort. I'll keep y'all posted.

And yes- FOH guys blow.

I run my Treb & Mid at 12:00 and Bass at 11:30 on both channels. Pres at 12:00 and Deep at 11:30. Never take my Mid-Cut above 10:00 Intensity. I have absolutely no probs cutting.

I had the same problem...I think the amp naturally has a more smooth, compressed nature compared to a Marshall. That's also of course what makes it sound so killer.

I run my presence high which adds some slice, i also sometimes run the channel volumes lower and use the masters to balance it out which seems to add back some rawness.

I have an eq on my pedalboard and boosting around 500hz and up can help as well.

Is your bass player cool with tweaking his sound? The only time I've ever had a problem cutting, with ANY amp was because the bass player had too much mids. Ask him if he could experiment with you by cutting his mids a little... not a Fieldy-like cut though EECCKKK. The reason I say this is because the human ear focuses more on mids, and if most of the signal is coming from that frequency stuff starts to compress and get stuffy. Biggest reason most recordings have a scooped eq for the bass, to make it fit. If he however is already scooped, you may just want to try adding more mids yourself and maybe some treb/presence, Herbies are pretty dark you can get away with alot more than you'd normally use.

Thanks for the replies guys.

1. My settings are generally - channel, everything at noon, no midcut.
2. The bass player was a little middy- but not really. More low endy than anything.
3. Also, just had to rebias it (AGAIN). I'll make a seperate post for that too.

S.

Back