Wireless WTF's ??

* velcro-fly *

Time to cut the cord.... what are the cordless folks using? Found an ok deal on a used Shure GLXD16, read a bit about the newer + version of that unit. Anybody have experience with both of those or other recommendations ??

I have the Line 6 G-30 very transparent I believe 75 ft of signal. People think of them as being a lower quality company but their Wireless units are fantastic. I've had their rack Wireless and pedals and can't say enough good about them I have read some bad reviews but I've had nothing but good luck with them.

Last edited:
Love my Line 6 G10S. I even bought an extra transmitter.
Played a bunch a of shows with it. No problems.
Leave the belt-pack behind...

I have had both the GLXD 16 and the GLXD 16+ models - the + is worth it. It has an input in case your belt pack dies so you can still use the tuner vs. unplugging things and going to your first pedal after the wireless. I also like the antenna better on the +, as the round one on the standard model seemed to be a little more fragile. I use two + models mounted on a Temple board - one for magnetic pickup, one for piezo. Great units.

Came from an old Nady VHF true diversity (when that word meant something different 😅 ) system in the 90's, which I never should've sold... Used the Line6 G30 for while.. it did the job, but nothing more. And years ago I upgraded to the GLX-D16 and I love the built-in tuner/mute as well as the battery life and the fact that you can charge the belt pack basically with almost any USB phone charger.
I haven't compared it to the +unit yet though.

I have had both the GLXD 16 and the GLXD 16+ models - the + is worth it. It has an input in case your belt pack dies so you can still use the tuner vs. unplugging things and going to your first pedal after the wireless. I also like the antenna better on the +, as the round one on the standard model seemed to be a little more fragile. I use two + models mounted on a Temple board - one for magnetic pickup, one for piezo. Great units.
I've got a line on a used regular GLXD that will save $300 over a new + version....hmmmmmmm

Sennheiser EW 100 G4-CI1

Longer range than the Shure G16+ by over 130ft and also has auto channel hop interference in a spectrum less common than wifi/cell phones which to me is a big deal. It also allows for AA in o shit moments should you need them. You also have zero latency. All analog.

Nothing wrong with the G16+. It’s digital and full spectral sampling with great battery life. Comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:
Have a L6 G50 and Boss WL-20. For home use, i love the simplicity of the Boss. I don't use a cable anymore except when i forget to charge it

I have the new version of the Shure system (16+) and it's amazing. The input where you can just run a cable from your instrument into the GLXD is really handy if you have a tight pedalboard setup.

I've used the L6 Relay 30 and 50, Boss WL50 and WL60 and ALL of those have problems with a few venues we play at with lots of weird interference that our singer and bass players' original GLXD wireless units never had issues with. I could have saved myself a lot of headache just spending the extra for the Shure system.

It's expensive but you pay for everything to just always work.

Wait. They made a new Shure wireless? And it's an updated version of what I use?! What?! Why don't I have a plus model?

I used to have a GLXD - if you have a pedalboard make sure you power it from an appropriate source. I had it plugged into a 100ma output feed from my Pedal Power Plus and it would work for a while then completely power off. It was my own doing but that scared me away from wireless for a while. The old version needed something like 250ma.

I ended up splurging on a QLXD last year with some gig money and it's been fantastic. It sounds like a cable and I've never had an issue with it.

Anyone try the NUX B-8 yet? If so, have you used it live? I'm needing a wireless kit since my band is playing a festival later this year, and I don't want to get a totally crap wireless. But I'm definitely looking at "budget" options.

Back