Wizard amp recommendation

bkemp23

Which Wizard amp would you recommend for the following bands: The Melvins, Mastodon, Pallbearer, and Torche? There seems to be quite a lot of options between hybrids and different power section tubes.

Or would I be better off going with a different company/amp? Thanks.

Melvins have been using Sunn Beta or its clones for years. Early Mastodon was basically distortion pedals into Marshalls, Torche was similar as well. Pallbearer was Orange with pedals I think?

Generally for those bands I think pedals play a bigger part than the amps so not a whole lot of point investing in a Wizard. I love my Wizard but I never use it for my sludge band.

Which Wizard amp would you recommend for the following bands: The Melvins, Mastodon, Pallbearer, and Torche? There seems to be quite a lot of options between hybrids and different power section tubes.

Or would I be better off going with a different company/amp? Thanks.
None of those bands scream Wizard to me. Between them, these bands have probably used dozens of amps and pedals over the years and so there's no real answer here. Maybe you're better off finding your own sound? Even with the same gear you're still going to sound like you, and that's a good thing!

If you want a Wizard because they sound awesome that's different.

There are tons of amps that are cheaper that would be more up that alley if you didn't want to go the pedal platform route also.
I would recommend a diezel vh2. That would make an awesome doom amp. But i would go for a little less fuzz sound than mastadon personally.

I can get sludgy tones on MTL2. There’s so much tone variation in the MTL2. I hit hit hard with walrus audio Deep Six to make it sludgy or even smashing pumpkins like messing around

Torche used Orange when I saw them. Mastodon also had Orange on stage when I saw them, combined with Marshall, Friedman and Diezel.

I'd go MTL if Wizard, but wouldn't be my first, or third, choice. I'd look at Rockerverb, 2203 with pedals or JJ100.

Thanks everyone. This was very helpful. I actually already own an MCii 50W but wanted to see if that amp would suffice or if I should pick up another amp. It sounds like my MCii on the rhythm channel and a pedal might be the best route to go.

So I'll shift the question now to which pedal going into the rhythm channel of the MCii? Rat, big muff, etc?

Thanks everyone. This was very helpful. I actually already own an MCii 50W but wanted to see if that amp would suffice or if I should pick up another amp. It sounds like my MCii on the rhythm channel and a pedal might be the best route to go.

So I'll shift the question now to which pedal going into the rhythm channel of the MCii? Rat, big muff, etc?
Sorry if this sounds too obvious, but just try a few pedals and see what you like. You already own one the greatest amplifiers ever made, so literally any pedal will sound good. What sounds best to your ear for the tones you like is not something I think we can really help with :confused:

Last edited:

A muff type is easier to handle since it's fuzzy but almost distortion like (compared to a fuzz face or superfuzz). If you're going for EHX ones the Op Amp and the Green Russian are both cool for fast-ish sludge.

For clones or modded muffs from other manuacturers check out Black Arts LSTR or Paraoh. EQD Hizumitas (Boris sig pedal) sounds cool too but I haven't tried one yet.

Back