Wizard MC II mic'd vid/clip, going for a brighter tone this time using Gibson LP DC

Contour seems to effect the brightness/frequencies of the mids. You can bring out a darker lower mids sound counter clock wise and brighter upper mids turning it up. Killer for fine tuning and has a huge impact.

Very nice! What effect do you feel the contour has in different positions?
Good question, MetalHeadMike touched on the majority of what the contour knob does. It definitely is powerful and makes a very noticable difference in the upper mid. It is almost like a high mid shelf and very slight added beef to the notes. If you "dime" the contour knob on 10, it actually takes the contour knob freq OUT of the circuit, so VERY cool and I find IF you dimed contour it makes it very fast tracking to the extreme. I personally like having contour between 5 - 7 with lead boost on.

Good question, MetalHeadMike touched on the majority of what the contour knob does. It definitely is powerful and makes a very noticable difference in the upper mid. It is almost like a high mid shelf and very slight added beef to the notes. If you "dime" the contour knob on 10, it actually takes the contour knob freq OUT of the circuit, so VERY cool and I find IF you dimed contour it makes it very fast tracking to the extreme. I personally like having contour between 5 - 7 with lead boost on.
You make a very good point regarding the perception of "added beef". The first mcii I owned, a 2017, seemed very noticeable in that regard, but the two I've owned since didn't seem to have as pronounced an effect with that. That was a 2020 and a 2015 I now own. Maybe it's totally in my head, but I swear that 2017 contour added a ton of beef, or another way to put it is it thickened the weight in the low mids and seemed to add more perceived thump/punch. Beef aside, they all seem to act exactly the same between the years I've owned and are a tremendously powerful tone shaping feature.

Back