Xotic SP Compressor

lettmusic

thinking of picking up one of these. It has a cool blend knob for the dry and the compressed signal, and the Ross-style compression sounds real good.
Anyone played or use the SP? Opinions?

I own it and it sounds great. I don't use it a whole lot but If I had to do it over again I would have purchased something that was a little more tweakable. I hate having to mess with the dip switches inside. If you are really pressed for room its a great pedal.

mniel8195":vdh4pshw said:
I own it and it sounds great. I don't use it a whole lot but If I had to do it over again I would have purchased something that was a little more tweakable. I hate having to mess with the dip switches inside. If you are really pressed for room its a great pedal.
thanks for your input. I do like the small size for my pedalboard, but the I dig the tone the most. The current model have the dip switch on the outside (hi, mid, and low positions), is that what you're referring to?

I use one in the loop for a solo boost. There are still internal dip switches along with the hi-Lo-mid switch. Great pedal, could be a little noisy if you crank it. You can turn down the amount of compression works great. I like it better than the EP

Using one at this time. I set it for a low compression. makes things sound even,clean or overdrive it sounds great. I am really enjoying this pedal plus it's so small takes up no room on a board.

zewango":1rsrv88k said:
I use one in the loop for a solo boost. There are still internal dip switches along with the hi-Lo-mid switch. Great pedal, could be a little noisy if you crank it. You can turn down the amount of compression works great. I like it better than the EP
You're using it for gain or clean solo boost?
I want to get it for clean funk rhythm and jazz/blues clean soloing. But seems like lots of guys are using it for high gain stuff too.

I use it just for a volume boost for solo's
Works pefect in the Friedman BE. No 2nd master volume needed here

zewango":1mzxu8ds said:
I use it just for a volume boost for solo's
Works pefect in the Friedman BE. No 2nd master volume needed here
cool. it works well as a clean boost when you you have the blend all the way to the dry?

Just an update: got the pedal and yes, it's a great unit. really enhanced and boost my clean sound nicely for funk and single note clean soloing.
The big surprise: it sounded great with high gain stuff too. For live i'm not sure if it would be too much, but damn, it really brought my EVH to life, more sustain without having to increase distortion.
Thanks for everyone who helped me with all the input. You guys are great.

lettmusic":1nbkoluj said:
Just an update: got the pedal and yes, it's a great unit. really enhanced and boost my clean sound nicely for funk and single note clean soloing.
The big surprise: it sounded great with high gain stuff too. For live i'm not sure if it would be too much, but damn, it really brought my EVH to life, more sustain without having to increase distortion.
thinking of picking this pedal also mainly because of the size. I'm looking for a comp but only have room for it to go under my board. Are you using it out front or in the loop of the EVH?

It's pretty great imo. I use it for a few applications and do quick adjustments to my board between every few songs. Good transparency. It can get alittle noisy if you crank it, but that can be said about most any effect. I enjoy it but I like my friends MXR comp alot too lol. Check that one out if you haven't yet.

nevusofota":3relr5ws said:
lettmusic":3relr5ws said:
thinking of picking this pedal also mainly because of the size. I'm looking for a comp but only have room for it to go under my board. Are you using it out front or in the loop of the EVH?
I got it out front, right after my wah, then the RC to the Arion Chorus to the ISP to the EVH. I got my G Major in the loop. Seems to work this way with the sP not intruding on the other effects.

My friend bought one and I was amazed at how great this compressor is. What I love about it is that it's a no brainer to use. No tweaking involved and it's the perfect compressed sound right out of the box which I appreciate because I've lost a lot of time tweaking compressors that give you tons of options but never get it quite right. With this one, it's more guitar player friendly, you can't get a bad sound.

For me it sweetened the tone too much.. nice features and works well, but it's not transparent really. I got the Empress, which I really love.

Back