XTC Anniversary Model

the scoop is that to my ears, its the best sounding XTC yet and Ive owned every version to come out. I has an overhauled preamp which doesnt sound as compressed and now the structure switch is just vintage/modern. the amp is now powered by 6l6s. I had the NAMM proto about a week before the show and thought it sounded incredible. I recommended they tighten up the bass just a tad for the metal guys. i cant wait to get one for myself

Tone Merchant":1r80eh8f said:
the scoop is that to my ears, its the best sounding XTC yet and Ive owned every version to come out. I has an overhauled preamp which doesnt sound as compressed and now the structure switch is just vintage/modern. the amp is now powered by 6l6s. I had the NAMM proto about a week before the show and thought it sounded incredible. I recommended they tighten up the bass just a tad for the metal guys. i cant wait to get one for myself

6L6s huh?? Interesting! Does it still have the "british" vide like the 101b/classics?

When are they hitting the streets?

Thanks! :D

the first run will be in the white and gold and u can get the classic option as well. Should be hitting the street in 6 to 8 weeks. At the time when I had it, I didnt know that there were 6l6s in it. I thought it was El 34s. And I a/b it with a new 101b that was at the shop. I didnt hear a real difference in the power amp to think that other tubes were being used. It smoked the 101b.

Hmm, I like the compression on my 101b. Does the Anniv. model still have that great bloom to the notes? Do you know if Bogner's going to offer an option to mod existing 101b's/classics to Anniversary specs?

I dont think they can mod the existing 101bs, but im not sure. My understanding is the preamp was completly redone. Ill check into that and yes the bloom is there.

Charlie at Bogner told me that the 20th anniv would be an option, similar in nature to how the classic is an option. I don't know what this means in the context of the post above stating that one could order both the classic and anniv mods..I don't see how that could be completely accurate, perhaps partially true.

The list price of the option would be a $725 up charge over the price of a 101B

The option includes new filter caps which are somewhat similar to the classic (open, less compressed), 6L6, and some mustard caps in the signal path

The option will possibly be offered beyond 2009, dependent on whether there is on-going demand for it.

That's about what I learned during my phone call.

Mr. T":3vlx2xrt said:
meh - i'm happy with my 101b
+1

I don't really understand how something can sound "better" than the 101b when set up right. I mean, sure, different, which may be better to some people's ears, but I guess history shows us that with boutique amps, there can be a place for nearly all of them.

Back