Your Biggest Surprise At A Concert? Here's Mine!

gibson5413

In the mid-80s (around 1983-1984), I was hanging out with my two brothers and one of our mutual friends. I was about 13 years old and living in Dallas, TX. Our friend heard about a free concert in the park with the Moody Blues. We all loved classic rock so we decided to go. We found a spot on the grass and waited for the opener to start their set. Some dude came out and just ripped up the place! He had the whole place on fire. He played for about an hour and left the stage with a big thank you and told us to enjoy the Moody Blues. I couldn't believe how good this guy was on the guitar! I had never heard of him before. It was Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Obviously, I became a major fan from that point on. We left after about two songs from the Moody Blues as it was disappointing after watching SRV torch the stage.

What is your favorite surprise at a gig?

Started to type a story from a Metallica show during the Black tour. Then remembered that I am on a work computer. That one will have to wait.

Back up story. At a Greatful Dead show at Buckeye Lake near Columbus, Ohio. Somehow got backstage and was walking through the food tent. Jerry walks in and starts chatting me up while he makes and eats a taco. After he walks away, get yelled out by someone who works for the band because I let Jerry eat a taco.

In the mid-80s (around 1983-1984), I was hanging out with my two brothers and one of our mutual friends. I was about 13 years old and living in Dallas, TX. Our friend heard about a free concert in the park with the Moody Blues. We all loved classic rock so we decided to go. We found a spot on the grass and waited for the opener to start their set. Some dude came out and just ripped up the place! He had the whole place on fire. He played for about an hour and left the stage with a big thank you and told us to enjoy the Moody Blues. I couldn't believe how good this guy was on the guitar! I had never heard of him before. It was Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Obviously, I became a major fan from that point on. We left after about two songs from the Moody Blues as it was disappointing after watching SRV torch the stage.

What is your favorite surprise at a gig?
Similar story, but after SRV was big. I was only listening to heavier stuff than SRV, but knew he was amazing. So I went down to St Paul Mn Riverfest to see him live. This was 89. My buddy was huge into the blues. I was blown away…he played for 2 hrs straight; no stopping and did this ‘shuffle’ thing nonstop from one side of the stage to the other. Had a headset wireless mic. After the show we went to a bar in downtown Mpls where a blues band was playing. Within 30 minutes SRV walks in! He chats with the soundguy and in a few minutes he jumps up on stage and plays another hour!
What a great night. I was a fan then on.
He would pass away a year later.
RIP

Similar story, but after SRV was big. I was only listening to heavier stuff than SRV, but knew he was amazing. So I went down to St Paul Mn Riverfest to see him live. This was 89. My buddy was huge into the blues. I was blown away…he played for 2 hrs straight; no stopping and did this ‘shuffle’ thing nonstop from one side of the stage to the other. Had a headset wireless mic. After the show we went to a bar in downtown Mpls where a blues band was playing. Within 30 minutes SRV walks in! He chats with the soundguy and in a few minutes he jumps up on stage and plays another hour!
What a great night. I was a fan then on.
He would pass away a year later.
RIP
I've been a big fan of SRV and had his "Couldn't stand the weather" on cassette back in 1984. Around 1990 a friend had tickets and I passed saying I'll see him next time he comes around.... obviously that never happened. Really sucks.

I knew the lawyer for Led Zeppelin and he gave me 2 free tickets for the 1977 tour at Madison Square Garden that were his personal seats. It was for the last night. I went to pick them up at Swan Song Records in Manhattan and when I received them his associate said that people would kill for these seats. They were for the 6th row and in the center of the stage. Best show ever. Played for like 3 1/2 -4 hours.

I was introduced to Robert Randolph at an outdoor show at the river market in KC several years ago. Although he had been around quite a while by then, I was oblivious. He blew me away.

I have A LOT. But I will share yet another. I'm not gonna name names here but, I was helping load in backline shit at Riverport in the early 2000's when a fairly popular "Christian Rock/Metal" band that had some big hits was playing. The dreadlocked singer was standing backstage, very VERY upset and screaming for anyone in earshot "ISNT THERE ANY FUCKING COKE IN THIS FUCKING TOWN??" Living in Saint Louis, I found that statement funny..and watching his "positive interviews" at the time made it even funnier.

I went to see the Black Label Society, they sounded like shit and it was my first concert ever so i thought:
Every rock concert sounds like this mess.
Korn was the next band and I didn't care about them and wished it have been brief but when they started. Man, the sound was awesome!

Then Ozzy comes after them and Killed it.

Around 2005 I caught this band named Skeleton Key in a small venue in my home town. I had never heard of them and don't even remember who the headliner was, but they totally caught me off guard and absolutely killed it that night.

Red Hot Chili Peppers show in Madison, WI in 2003.

We got there late driving from Chicago after school (I was a HS freshman), so missed the first opening act. Walked in during the middle of Queens of the Stone Age, who were KILLING it. I remember walking into the arena bowl to Go With The Flow... they were supporting Songs for the Deaf.

Pushed my way to the front to be set to get a close view of Flea or John (who was my primary guitar hero at the time). Got to the front barricade and there's this guy with a blond tipped afro chatting with some concertgoers from behind the barricade. Seemed like a totally chill dude but for some reason these guys were fawning over him and I couldn't figure out why.

About six months later, I heard Deloused in the Comatorium for the first time and was like, "Wow, this drummer is in-effing-credible!" Looked them up online, and sure enough, the drummer is that guy, and since then I've been regretful that we couldn't get there in time for that no-name first act: The Mars Volta.

I get that TMV probably isn't most people's cup of tea here, but those first three albums were, IMO, the pinnacle of prog rock even if I'm not a fan of Cedric's voice. As a drummer--particularly a single kick drummer--Jon Theodore was unbelievably good. He now drums for QOTSA and, honestly, it feels like a waste of his talent.

Another one which was kind of cool: one of my good friends does FOH and monitors at some prominent venues in Chicago. One night he got me in for a Dinosaur Jr show (which is still the loudest I've ever been to... the guitars weren't even going through the PA). I got to help break down their backline which was sweet to see J Mascis' whole rig. A couple of cranked JMP 100W amps on stage for a 400 top venue. Crazy!

I have A LOT. But I will share yet another. I'm not gonna name names here but, I was helping load in backline shit at Riverport in the early 2000's when a fairly popular "Christian Rock/Metal" band that had some big hits was playing. The dreadlocked singer was standing backstage, very VERY upset and screaming for anyone in earshot "ISNT THERE ANY FUCKING COKE IN THIS FUCKING TOWN??" Living in Saint Louis, I found that statement funny..and watching his "positive interviews" at the time made it even funnier.
POD? "I feel so alive! Gimme another line! Any yay is some good yay!"

About six months later, I heard Deloused in the Comatorium for the first time and was like, "Wow, this drummer is in-effing-credible!" Looked them up online, and sure enough, the drummer is that guy, and since then I've been regretful that we couldn't get there in time for that no-name first act: The Mars Volta.

I get that TMV probably isn't most people's cup of tea here, but those first three albums were, IMO, the pinnacle of prog rock even if I'm not a fan of Cedric's voice. As a drummer--particularly a single kick drummer--Jon Theodore was unbelievably good. He now drums for QOTSA and, honestly, it feels like a waste of his talent.

Jon Theodore is an incredible drummer.

Van Halen 1993 I think I had a gal climb up on my shoulders during Eddie's solo. She came all over my neck with her greatness this is not an exaggeration. What is sad is I didn't even get her name or number after she got off my shoulders. rookie mistake

i was at the dream theater show in chicago where they did all of master of puppets 20 years ago or so. i think we kinda had an idea of what they MIGHT do, but we didn't know for sure until they did it. i was a huge fan of both bands at the time, so it was super sweet.

At a Kiss concert. Think few years back. Where I was at like extreme left side stage. Could see everyone’s rig. The house music was cranking ‘Zepplin rock n roll’ house lights still on. Music dropped. Saw the band coming out from back stage curtains. Bout SHIT MY PANTS! My idols walking out behind stage. Lights dropped ‘you wanted the best....!!!’
Each member had a roadie with a flashlight. Walking. Behind them lighting up the path. Shit blew my mind!! 😂

Old friend / former student Jack Johnson was on tour opening for Ben Harper here in PDX....I missed Jack's set but went anyway to see him....he ended up taking me up on side stage and introducing me to Harper & Marc Ford's guitar tech, I got the full meal tour of the entire rig, it was awesome. While we were standing there the band takes the stage and the tour manager tells us we need to get down and move to the other side of the stage to Family viewing area...Jack nodded at him and as soon as dude turned around Jack grabbed me and walked us across the stage in back of the drum riser, right at about the same time the crowd was erupting. He stopped me and said "look at that" pointing out to the crowd. It was a complete mind fuck looking out at tens of thousand people going ballistic, the volume on stage and getting a look at what it would be like night after night to have that out front. Did not expect that to happen.

Another cool one. Saw Marc Martel (guy sang on the Queen movie soundtrack). Incredible show!!!! He was singing ‘hammer to fall’
Slipped. Fell on his back. Sang ‘waiting for THE SINGER TO FALL!’
Crowd went nuts. 😂

Back