Your opinion on a $600 Squier?

GearGasms

Doctor Love
$599 is a steep, steep price for a Squier! Does this beautiful 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Jazzmaster live up to its' price tag? Spoiler alert - yes and no.
That Sweetwater 55 Point Inspection? No comment.
Another spoiler alert - my playing in this is awful and I apologize up front.
Have a Mediocre Weekend!
alan

$599 is a steep, steep price for a Squier! Does this beautiful 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Jazzmaster live up to its' price tag? Spoiler alert - yes and no.
That Sweetwater 55 Point Inspection? No comment.
Another spoiler alert - my playing in this is awful and I apologize up front.
Have a Mediocre Weekend!
alan

The overseas guitars are getting way more expensive, I hope the quality is up as well.

See if MF has it; call in and see if you can get a discount. Worse case, return it for refund.

I've been pretty happy with my low end guitars from Jackson and Ibanez; no Squiers recently. I play these more than my high end guitars, because I have them in stands or hanging on the wall within easy reach. I keep my high end guitars in their cases when not in use...

See if MF has it; call in and see if you can get a discount. Worse case, return it for refund.

I've been pretty happy with my low end guitars from Jackson and Ibanez; no Squiers recently. I play these more than my high end guitars, because I have them in stands or hanging on the wall within easy reach. I keep my high end guitars in their cases when not in use...
I got 10% off and then they lowered the price to $450 on sale in December and now it's back to 600

Reactions: rsm
The Squires have been hit and miss in the past for me. I've had some stinkers but then I bought a Telecaster years ago that had a beautiful flamed quartersawn maple neck that easily could have been on a USA or Custom Shop guitar.

I picked up a Squier Classic Vibe 70's (Natural Finish/Indian Laurel Fretboard/3 Singe Coils/Indonesia Made) Strat from Sweetwater in September.

Very nice guitar. setup well when it arrived.

However, I purchased it know I wanted to swap the neck for a Maple Fretboard and change the pickup configuration. But stock, out of the box, it was very nice. Especially considering I got it on the Labor Day sale for $320...

But $600 for a Squier is getting pretty close to MIM Fender prices

The Squires have been hit and miss in the past for me. I've had some stinkers but then I bought a Telecaster years ago that had a beautiful flamed quartersawn maple neck that easily could have been on a USA or Custom Shop guitar.
Your profile pic is OMG gorgeous!

So here is mine...

As it arrived, $360 total with shipping
IMG_20220912_173832565~4.jpg

Indian Luarel Fret Board
Alinco 5 single Coils
Vintage tuners

And as it sits now...
IMG_20221128_220815204~2.jpg

All Parts MIJ Maple Fretboard Neck (9.5" radius)
Fender Tuners
Graphtek Nut
GFS 6k Rails (Neck position in Bridge and Neck)
Guitar Madness Alinco II single in the Middle
CTS Pots 250k
American 5 way switch
Neck pickup is wired out of phase in the Neck/Middle Position 4 ( Mark Speer from Khraungbin inspired)

The stock neck is great, but this neck is more better... fatter, smoother, and plays like glass (after I leveled/crowned/polished the frets).

So:
$360 guitar
$150 neck
pickups $ 80
electronics $30

Total around $620 to get the guitar I wanted...

Last edited:
So here is mine...

As it arrived, $360 total with shipping
View attachment 153439
Indian Luarel Fret Board
Alinco 5 single Coils
Vintage tuners

And as it sits now...
View attachment 153442

All Parts MIJ Maple Fretboard Neck (9.5" radius)
Fender Tuners
Graphtek Nut
GFS 6k Rails (Neck position in Bridge and Neck)
Guitar Madness Alinco II single in the Middle
CTS Pots 250k
American 5 way switch
Neck pickup is wired out of phase in the Neck/Middle Position 4

The stock neck is great, but this neck is more better... fatter, smoother, and plays like glass (after I leveled/crowned/polished the frets).

So:
$360 guitar
$150 neck
pickups $ 80
electronics $30

Total around $620 to get the guitar I wanted...
Looks great!

Looks great!
Thank you

First time I have ever ordered a guitar on line, in 30 years of playing with these things. I ordered from Sweetwater, mainly because I had the option of Seeing what I was getting.... which was important to me given the natural finish, I didn't want to get one that looked like 5 2x4's glued together... :ROFLMAO:

Thank you

First time I have ever ordered a guitar on line, in 30 years of playing with these things. I ordered from Sweetwater, mainly because I had the option of Seeing what I was getting.... which was important to me given the natural finish, I didn't want to get one that looked like 5 2x4's glued together... :ROFLMAO:
That is such a huge Plus ordering from Sweetwater is being able to look at what you're buying you know the weight my salesman has even went down and played guitars and told me which one he thought sounded better. At least he told me that he could have just randomly picked one and said this one's the greatest but I felt better at the time congrats you got a good one!

when I decided to get it on-line, my wife kind of freaked out, as I have NEVER bought a guitar without playing it first...

I told her, the Neck and pickups are getting swapped when It gets here... so she said find the neck I want and she will buy it for my birthday... and I did, because Fender/Squier do not offer the Maple neck on the Natural body for the CV 70's models... only n the Black H-S-S version.... and I want a Natural Body/Maple neck

first time I have ever swapped a neck and had to drill the holes... yes, I freaked out a little

No disrespect to the OP or Reverend Bow, but that's a whole lot of work & money to improve a sub $800 guitar into a better playing/sounding guitar and the neck doesn't even have 22 frets. I bought this Fret King FKV6GW (aka Fret King Corona Custom) for a little over $600 new and it has a 22 fret hard rock maple neck/rosewood fingerboard with 10" radius, graphite nut, alder body, Wilkinson locking tuners/WV6 6 screw bridge/ humbucker/single coil/stacked P-90 pickups. The only thing that I had done to the guitar was to have it intonated, set it for low action, and installed Dunlop Strap locks on it. It's not the be all/end all guitar in the low end market, but it's certainly good value for the money. I'm not a fan of the lower end Fender or Squier guitars when there are other manufacturers that sell a better low end guitar.
Fret King FK6VGW serial # SM 02321.jpg

Nice guitar!

No offense taken here.

For me, half the fun is working one them... which is probably why I only own 1 Commercial amp, I designed and built built my other ones

Back