ZEN Amps YouTube thread - Friedman Dirty Shirley 40W vid up

That escalated quickly…

View attachment 144415
Ha nice one, have fun with it!

Can it do modern high gain? Sounds killer, just wondering how far it can go
Without pedals it feels a little too traditional Marshall to my ears, but if you boost yeah it can get fairly modern. Wouldn't be my first choice though - it's definitely a straight up rock amp first and foremost.

Shirley sounds very close to it's synergy counterpart. Good for singles but too musty and dark for me. No bite. No teeth. Fantastic video series though.

Silver Jubilee 2555X reissue vid done. Nice having a Marshall with tone controls that actually do something, otherwise I'm more of a 2203 guy.

I had a JMP 2204, Friedman JJ100 and 2555x at the same time. Loved the 2204, JJ was super close in voicing (but with all the tight gain), 2555x was not for me and sold it fast. Just didn't sound great when compared. I always feel this way about the Jubs.

Played a Twin Sister last night. Dig the amp, but not the 1x12 cab with the 65 Creamback.

Although this forum feels more like a 'master volume' zone, this attenuator comparison we did may be useful for some. It features just what we have on hand here in the studio:

- Alex's Attenuator (later the Scumback DBL)
- Rivera Rockcrusher
- Tone King Ironman II
- Fryette Power Station PS2a

Super boring video mind you - 2 riffs cycled a dozen times each with different settings. No Wizards, no Bogners, no Camerons, no chugging, no shredding. Talk about riveting:

Back