ZZ Top Live DVD from Texas and The Rev's Live tone

Telephant

I havent actually bought the DVD, but they're playing it on MHD and VH1. Believe it or not, I think it kind of sucks. :scared:

Its really sloppy, especially Billy. It gets better as it goes on but it pales in comparison to the two live shows Ive seen recently. They tried to pull out all the stops since they knew this was going to be a DVD but I get this feeling it made them nervous. That or Billy came out high as fuck.

Billy's tone on the other hand is pretty good. Althoug it sounds like a bigger more awesome version of hks 80's tone. He doesnt use any of his awesome fuzz tones like he does on the last three albums.

Whats interesting about the tone IMO is that it sounds really deep, almost like he's tune down (but he's not). It sounds like a lower mid voiced Marshall. And he's running reverb and chorus on his guitar almost the entire time. I kept thinking, I can actually believe that he is using a Marshall JMP-1 with a power amp and a rack processor of some sort. He had this weird "spread" to his tone, like a stereo chorus or something. :confused:

What threw me off was how well his tone cleaned up. When he picked lightly it almost became totally clean. I never thought the JMP-1 had that kind of dynamics. On the other hand, I just found this thread through a search:

http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/v ... sc&start=0

Rackmounted Mojave Scorpion. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Talk about sex in a box. Also, notice there is no FX loop. So if he is using this live Im guessing he's doing that W/D rig where you slave to another power amp or something. I remember reading a thread about Vic from Mojave preferring this method for VH style tones.

The other thing I noticed was all of his guitars sounded almost exactly the same. There were slight variations (the fuzzy explorer style guitar was slightly brighter) All of them had humbuckers except the Tele (with reverse headstock) had a mini bucker in it. It was definitely a Seymour Duncan pickup but Im not sure which one, and it still sounded really close to his other guitars.

Im mentioning this because I once heard a rumor that Billy had Pearly Gates EQ curve figured out and used some high end equalizer to make the rest of his guitars sound as close to it as possible. Now that sounds ridiculously far fetched to me, but they were so similar sounding I couldnt help but think back to that.

What I really want to know is, is he using that Mojave? :D

I dunno man, but I do know I had to much food at the company pot luck today at lunch. I think im gonna barf in the trash can under my desk.

tweed":5m3fwhql said:
I dunno man, but I do know I had to much food at the company pot luck today at lunch. I think im gonna barf in the trash can under my desk.
Big help. :D

Fuck it, I posted it at TGP where I know at least some people will be as crazy obsessed as me. :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, what you heard was the JMP-1. And yes, he EQ his guitars heavily to make them all sound the same. Filtrons DO NOT sound just like buckers... but if you listen to the DVD, they sound just like his Les Paul. And yes, his tone was sick on that vid.

SFW":945s7yzp said:
Yes, what you heard was the JMP-1. And yes, he EQ his guitars heavily to make them all sound the same. Filtrons DO NOT sound just like buckers... but if you listen to the DVD, they sound just like his Les Paul. And yes, his tone was sick on that vid.
The Filtrons not sounding like buckers was exactly what I was thinking. And they do sound exactly like his Les Paul.

So where do you get your info from? Do you know what other pieces of gear he is running for delay/chorus/reverb or what EQ he is using for his guitars?

What about his power amps? I must know. :D

A buddy of mine helped rewire their entire studio. He was telling me that billy uses a MIDI programmable EQ in front of the JMP-1.

Telephant":19ked121 said:
SFW":19ked121 said:
The Filtrons not sounding like buckers was exactly what I was thinking. And they do sound exactly like his Les Paul.

So where do you get your info from? Do you know what other pieces of gear he is running for delay/chorus/reverb or what EQ he is using for his guitars?

What about his power amps? I must know. :D
I have a gretsch billy bo and the TV Jones powertron pickups,they sound more like buckers than you would think, they are an awesome pick up

Attachments

• willie G.JPG
    willie G.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 286
Back