USA vs German Cabs

FourT6and2

So did we ever get a definitive way to tell which cabs are USA and which are German?
I know in another thread Peter said to send a photo of the logo to him.
But is there another way to tell?

Grill cloth?
Size?
Type of jacks on the back?
Serial number (if any)?
Location of jack plate?

Some cabs have piping. Some don't.
Some Front Loaded have the removable grill recessed. Some don't.

I'm looking at cabs for sale online and nobody seems to know if there's is USA or German.

The number of screws for the jack plates are different. I believe four screws = US and six = German. Also, a red nut around the jack = US.

Oh, and there really can't be many of these in the US. If the seller can't vouch for the providence of a $1,600 German cab, I strongly doubt it's actually German-built.

FourT6and2":9txz8eru said:
Awesome thanks. These are definitive signs or are these maybes?

Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-DIEZEL-V ... 58913658b6

Seller says, "Hand made in Germany." But has red nut and four screws.

Wait, I think you mean the number of screws for the metal handles are different, not the jack plate? Every jack plate has four screws.

The "New" German made cabs have 6 screw speaker jack plates. The front loaded have removable grills with silver piping. There my be internal differences also, but Peter would have to say or sure.

The older German cabs were much like the US made. So, that can be more challenging to check. I thought I had a US rear loaded cab that I was selling on Craigslist, but then someone posted the pic on here and asked about it. Peter chimed in and said it was a German made rear loaded cab. It has the red and the 4 screw jack.

As was mentioned, the new German made cabs are more expensive, AND they are excellent. I have one with V30's and one with K100's that I use with my Herbert and it's the best tone I have ever had. I still have my Marshall cabs, but the Diezel cabs are truly killer and get more use these days.

Good Luck

FourT6and2":276tekov said:

Wait, I think you mean the number of screws for the metal handles are different, not the jack plate? Every jack plate has four screws.

Pretty sure that guy's full of it. I don't think any German cabs had Eminence speakers. I thought Peter said he hated them?

In any event, GtrLover's right that the newer German cabs with the six-screw jack plate are the ones that everyone seems to love. Apparently a significant redesign. I've never played one. I'm blissfully ignorant and happy with an '81 Marshall 1960A. lol

Black Sabbath":16w54s2h said:
FourT6and2":16w54s2h said:
I'm looking at cabs for sale online and nobody seems to know if there's is USA or German.
Simple; buy a Diezel (German) guitar cabinet.

Uhm... that's what I'm trying to do. Is that not clear?

Not all Diezel cabs are the real German ones. Some were made in the USA under the prior distributor's direction. And they are different than the German ones.

GtarLover":3ug7mmwo said:
FourT6and2":3ug7mmwo said:

The "New" German made cabs have 6 screw speaker jack plates. The front loaded have removable grills with silver piping. There my be internal differences also, but Peter would have to say or sure.

The older German cabs were much like the US made. So, that can be more challenging to check. I thought I had a US rear loaded cab that I was selling on Craigslist, but then someone posted the pic on here and asked about it. Peter chimed in and said it was a German made rear loaded cab. It has the red and the 4 screw jack.

As was mentioned, the new German made cabs are more expensive, AND they are excellent. I have one with V30's and one with K100's that I use with my Herbert and it's the best tone I have ever had. I still have my Marshall cabs, but the Diezel cabs are truly killer and get more use these days.

Good Luck

So basically only way to tell is to shoot Peter a photo I guess.

I'm looking at another front loaded. All black. Removable grill. No piping. Red nut. Four screws on jack plate. Most likely USA I'm guessing.

Black Sabbath":2jo2z448 said:
FourT6and2":2jo2z448 said:
Uhm... that's what I'm trying to do. Is that not clear?
No.

If it's one of Peter's German cabs, then it's German.

Is this a joke?

Some of the Diezel cabs were made in Germany some were made in the USA. I'm asking if there's a way to tell which is which. Why are you the only one who doesn't get that? I'm not talking about buying a NEW cab direct from Diezel. I'm talking about buying a used one.

FourT6and2":kpq8vej6 said:

That is a USA cab if I have ever seen one. That price is crazy.

moltenmetalburn":2e1anmaz said:
FourT6and2":2e1anmaz said:

That is a USA cab if I have ever seen one. That price is crazy.

Yeah. I agree. I've no interest in buying that one. I just linked to it as an example since the guy was claiming it's from Germany.

I bought the first "used" new design German cab to hit the Rig Talk classifieds. They had just come out a few months before. Dec of '09. Had to pay $1300 for it. They were around $1800 or so new. I picked up my second cab for about the same price on a NAMM show left over special. I guess it costs a LOT to get them over here from Germany.

Back