Diezel cabs vs Mills Acoustics?

Sigma.Xiria

Anyone have experience with both? Frontloaded with either V30s or g12k100s or both! Perferably the new diezel cabs and I think the mills is called the afterburner?

I currently own all of the above. What is it you would like to know? Bigger isn't always better when applied to speaker cabs. Keep that in mind. This would apply to Mills AB and Mesa Recto cabs.

If you will use the search function in the top right of your screen, you will probably find more information than you can read in a day.

Just to start you off in the right direction though, from my experience, stick to the 69 spec cab sizes (Diezel, Bogner, CAA) for best overall functionality.

It is my experience that a VH4 sounds best in a front loaded cab, and V30's are my preference.

The Herbie sounds great through a front loaded V30 as well as most any rear loaded V30 cab.

You need to have amp volume to overcome the flub and extended bottom end of an oversized cab. This is purely because the internal volume (cubic inches) changes the whole equation that has to do with resonant frequency.

Some people like the K100. Its not my preference though. It will tighten up any amp at lower volumes as compared to the V30. Rightly so, as it has 40% more headroom.

You will find internal baffles in a Diezel FL cab that separate the 4 speakers. You won't find this in any other custom made or production made cab on the market, Mills included.

The new Bogner front loads with V30/T75's are awesome. The 75's round out the V30's very well and leave it looser as opposed to tight like the 100's.

There's more, but its mostly my opinion.

Steve

steve_k":2mfs9otm said:
I currently own all of the above. What is it you would like to know? Bigger isn't always better when applied to speaker cabs. Keep that in mind. This would apply to Mills AB and Mesa Recto cabs.

If you will use the search function in the top right of your screen, you will probably find more information than you can read in a day.

Just to start you off in the right direction though, from my experience, stick to the 69 spec cab sizes for best overall functionality.

It is my experience that a VH4 sounds best in a front loaded cab, and V30's are my preference.

The Herbie sounds great through a front loaded V30 as well as most any rear loaded V30 cab.

You need to have amp volume to overcome the flub and extended bottom end of an oversized cab. This is purely because the internal volume (cubic inches) changes the whole equation that has to do with resonant frequency.

Some people like the K100. Its not my preference though. It will tighten up any amp at lower volumes as compared to the V30. Rightly so, as it has 40% more headroom.

You will find internal baffles in a Diezel FL cab that separate the 4 speakers. You won't find this in any other custom made or production made cab on the market, Mills included.

The new Bogner front loads with V30/T75's are awesome. The 75's round out the V30's very well and leave it looser as opposed to tight like the 100's.

There's more, but its mostly my opinion.

Steve
Wow none of that even occurred to me! I would want a normal sized cab for sure! I definitely want a front loaded one for my VH4.

I am pretty set on a combination of V30s and K100s in the X pattern!

What do those baffles on the new Diezel cabs do?

What else? I value your opinion so let me have it haha! I don't really have a place near by to test cabs and amps so I have to go based on opinions and reviews lol

OK, now that we know you have a VH4, that makes it easier. You first choice is not going to be any brand of oversized cab. Standard size rear loads work fine (and there are plenty to chose from) - front loads even better. There are not plenty to chose from. As I said earlier, the Diezel (German production) is the only one that will give you the baffling to this extent...

IMG_0972.jpg

Baffling will redirect the sound waves that are left behind, if you consider a speaker to be an inefficient machine, about 30% of your tone stays behind the speakers. They will help in bolstering the bottom end of the speaker and projecting forward. They also take up quite a bit of space and reduce the internal capacity. Front loads will really help to run you a tighter bottom end and a more articulated mid and top end. If you are more of a scooped player like I am, it will allow you to better run an amp scooped in the mids for more of a garage crunch tone, yet project some of the mids in the upper range that would otherwise be lost in the mix trying to run a rear load the same way.

If there is anyway you can make provisions for a front load and a rear load, you can really get nice things going there. As for speakers, if you are sold on the 30/100 mix, go for it. It is easy enough to change a couple speakers out if you find it doesn't serve your needs. Front loads really facilitate a quick change on speakers too. If you have the soldering iron hot, you can change two speakers out in just a few minutes.

Anyway, its my opinion and that's all. You will have others that may interest you. Pauly will have a good opinion on the front loads for you if he chimes in, and he likes his 100's too. So, he can probably help you out a little better. I will keep my 30's for the VH4.

Steve

i have both new FL Cabs ( one with 2 V 30s /K100s & one w/ all V30s) With my VH4 I really prefer the mixed cab. No knock on the all V30 cab cuz it kills.. BUT , for my ears i like the combo. Nice mix of punchy mids and big bottom ( i love low end..and big bottoms) :LOL: :LOL: I think the all V30 cab just "lacked" some of the bottom i needed that the 30/100 combo had. Suited my group a little better.

and like Steve said, if something isnt tickling your fancy , it only takes a few mins to change out speakers. I would say go for it. And smile.

BTW..have played my VH4 with a TON of cabs...still i prefer the Diezel FL the most...just feels & sounds right. :thumbsup:

Mills makes a GREAT product, but I've stuck with the Diezel 4x12's, have had the RL the FL and several types of speakers in each for my VH4 and VH4S.

Right now, I'm stuck on the Diezel FL 4x12 G12K100 loaded cab. Pulls like a freight train. Zero buzz, flub, hollowness or the like. It pounds.

To each their own ears YMMV,
V. :rock:

Definitely no flub and fizz in the 100's. They are tighter than tree bark :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just depends on what you are after. The real deal is the cab construction though. When deciding on a cab, you don't married to the speakers. That's a quick fix.

Steve

The one thing I that pulls me towards the Mills is just the price! Its just more affordable and sounds fine through videos... but that's just it... videos can lie! I can not find any clips like actual recordings between the 2 cabs. That would help so much! If you guys can link any to me that would be wonderful!

Mills aren't that cheap, you will add shipping to the listed price. They are good quality and as I said, I own some of them.

But, for the VH4, if you choose not to go with a Diezel FL due to price (its in the shipping), go with a Bogner FL Ubercab. They are made in the US and are the same price as a rear load. Comes with 30/75 X. If you want to custom order one, call Rob at Tone Merchants and he can order direct custom orders from Bogner and get it with 30/100 X. I have one on the way now.

As far as clips go, search You Tube.

Steve

steve_k":2l6mh712 said:
Mills aren't that cheap, you will add shipping to the listed price. They are good quality and as I said, I own some of them.

But, for the VH4, if you choose not to go with a Diezel FL due to price (its in the shipping), go with a Bogner FL Ubercab. They are made in the US and are the same price as a rear load. Comes with 30/75 X. If you want to custom order one, call Rob at Tone Merchants and he can order direct custom orders from Bogner and get it with 30/100 X. I have one on the way now.

As far as clips go, search You Tube.

Steve

Ya, mega +1 on the UberKab... They're solid, terrific, versatile cabs fo'shizzle!! I miss mine, some cat in Boca Raton has it now :cry:

Mo

I run my Herbert into a Mills 2x12 and all is good :rock:

I was also concerned about the power handling capability of the 2x12 to work with the output of the Herbert, so I discussed it directly with Dave (owner of Mills Acoustics), and he gave it the thumbs up :thumbsup: It sounds great!

can anyone post some more pics of the inside of a front loaded diezel cab please? Is there normally padding in them? are the baffles all different lengths? How come no center support along with the baffles?

bananaladonpcp":1rq0ffzi said:
can anyone post some more pics of the inside of a front loaded diezel cab please? Is there normally padding in them? are the baffles all different lengths? How come no center support along with the baffles?

I think padding is from the USA Diezel cabs, but I could be wrong. I have a USA Diezel 212 and it's padded. I have a German FL412 and I'm pretty sure it looks just like steve_k's picture except the wood may be painted in mine. It was dark though when I changed speakers. The baffles are all the same size if my memory serves me correctly. I would think the lack of a center support would be because the baffles already handle much of that job.

Please note that a lot of Diezel cab copies
are around. We also never recommended the
Eminence "Diezel OEM" speakers.

We are prepared for this trademark infringement
and are in contact with the US trademark office
right now. Our trademark is registered in the
States since 1997.

The original Diezel cabs came and come always
from Germany.

My German 412 front load has no padding. I am running an X of V30's and K100's. It is the best cab I've ever had. Every head I've owned, except for the Framus Cobra, sounds better through the Diezel cab than it's original maker's cab.

RJF":2iwg0v4g said:
My German 412 front load has no padding. I am running an X of V30's and K100's. It is the best cab I've ever had. Every head I've owned, except for the Framus Cobra, sounds better through the Diezel cab than it's original maker's cab.

The FL needs no padding as there are 4 boards inside the cab and the back panel is
mounted with screws AND glued. My partner Peter Stapfer was a professional guitar
player and did about 100 shows a year since 1995. He spent lot of time to design the
cabs and tested them on stage.

The V30 is good for lower volume to cut through but the K100 is not as
compressed as the V30 and sounds big. Never tried them in x pattern
but that should be the best of two worlds.

Back