Tourmaster 4212

RFL1701

I bought my Tourmaster from Musicians Friend 2 months ago and everything was going fine until an hour ago. While playing the amp just died, I have another amp so I plug it into the same outlet and it works fine. It is just completly dead! Before I bring it to a repair shop I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks in advance!

well, if you could go into more detail about it, maybe it would help us help you.

what do you mean by "died".

plugged in, turned on, now lights dont even light up?

RFL1701":c2efinxz said:

It could be your transformer. Mine died on me at the beginning of a gig, and me without a backup. :(

It was a $300 part, but was covered by the warranty if I could supply Nate with a serial number. Unfortunately, due a really bad marking procedure, the little S/N tag had fallen off, and was nowhere to be found. After a lot of begging and sending digital pic to Nate, I was able to get them to fulfill their warranty obligations... but it took 6 months.

Hope it's just a tube for you, and your S/N sticker is still there!

Best,
Geoff

Found the fuse box under the power cord plug, the fuse was burnt so I changed it with the spare one, plugged in the amp turned on the power, there was a pop then nothing, checked the new fuse and it was burnt as well. What next?

May be a bad power tube causing the fuse to go out??? If you've had it just two months your tubes may still be under warranty. I think there is a 90 day warranty on the tubes in the amp... I'd call egnater since your under warranty anyway

This sounds too familiar, and my issue was not resolved with a power tube change. So I dissent from the apparent consensus!

My TM4212 was a few months old, also began blowing the initial fuse as you describe. Checked the internal fuses as well, no dice.

Ended up being a bad capacitor, although don't hold me to that particular diagnosis - I should refer to a note at home to remind me of the details. I think that I even wrote down the part number that the shop replaced. Point is, is was not a tube problem.

Cost me over a $100 in shipping to an authorized repair shop (yes, even with the chassis removed), ultimately it was returned to me in good working order. No issues since. While that last sentence should not be overlooked, the initial issue and shipping cost was a bummer, especially so early into ownership.

I hope that you follow up with any resolution or other result so that we can all learn as we go, and of course I wish you good luck on this journey.

I should note that I am a big fan of the TM4212, a great amp with many great tones! Talk about tweakablility...wow. And if you hang around long enough, Len might make you a TM4212 Lonely Hearts Fan T-shirt.

Don, thats truly a bummer..as a fellow TM user, of course, i dont wish this kind of ordeal on any of my fellow musicians.. i know we all work hard for what we have and buy, and it's a bummer when we have what we want, but it's not doing what it should.

im curious as to what's wrong with it too..hopefully, it's just a power tube and thats it..

TC Don":1re2jg84 said:
This sounds too familiar, and my issue was not resolved with a power tube change. So I dissent from the apparent consensus!

My TM4212 was a few months old, also began blowing the initial fuse as you describe. Checked the internal fuses as well, no dice.

Ended up being a bad capacitor, although don't hold me to that particular diagnosis - I should refer to a note at home to remind me of the details. I think that I even wrote down the part number that the shop replaced. Point is, is was not a tube problem.

Cost me over a $100 in shipping to an authorized repair shop (yes, even with the chassis removed), ultimately it was returned to me in good working order. No issues since. While that last sentence should not be overlooked, the initial issue and shipping cost was a bummer, especially so early into ownership.

I hope that you follow up with any resolution or other result so that we can all learn as we go, and of course I wish you good luck on this journey.

I should note that I am a big fan of the TM4212, a great amp with many great tones! Talk about tweakablility...wow. And if you hang around long enough, Len might make you a TM4212 Lonely Hearts Fan T-shirt.

Curious- If it was only a few months old, why noy just send it back to Egnater and get it done under warranty?

Damn! I gotta get those T-shirts done!

;) :D :LOL: :LOL: :thumbsup: :confused: :doh:

i have a picture of my tubes as well...glowing in the night!

Attachments

• DSCI0364-.jpg
    DSCI0364-.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 3,377
Len, you were saying -
Curious- If it was only a few months old, why noy just send it back to Egnater and get it done under warranty?

Actually it was via warranty, and I was not charged parts or labor but I did pay to ship it. I had the same result of blowing fuses, even after going through the test without power tubes. After some communication, Egnater gave me a return authorization number. It was sent to the nearest approved shop. Turned out to be a bad diode, by the way. Found that note at home.

My last note was not very clear, judging by some of the response. I started to go to the dark side, the message was muddled with a little venting about shipping.

So, hopefully RFL1701 is able to come back and post when the problem is fixed. So far I have heard transformer, power tubes, or diode.

And again, I dig this amp. Just got through an hour of single coil fun, all channels - lots of fun.

RFL 1701, did you ever figure out the dilemma? mine went down today, the same way.

Okay, is this a common problem?
I see this post is from 2010. I'm here at home rehearsing for a gig. Turned on the amp. All was fine. Then after 3 to 5 minutes of it being on, it just turned off .... no power. The power fuse was burned out. I tried a couple just to make sure. They all blew immediaytely! I took out all the power tubes and preamp tubes, replaced the fuse, turned on the amp and the same thing :-( Bummer! I just got it from GC on clearance sale just maybe 3 or 4 months ago now and I have no dough to repair it but I guess I'll have to give it to my trusty repair tech locally anyway and hopefully have the cash by the time he has it fixed. :-(

My sympathies to all of you who may encounter the same problem!

damn.

that sux man...i KNOW that sick feeling. did you contact them yet? mine has been down and out for a month and a half now. the issue seems to be that big round power plant transformer...i have to get it out and send it in for a switch out...and then reinstall it...which, is kind of intimidating looking.

Back