Orange VT1000 tube tester

Erock

I picked one of these up about a month ago, and just wanted to give some opinions for guys thinking about one.

I've been collecting tubes for about 10 years. Every time I used to try a new amp, I would immediately get new tubes if I didn't know how old the previous ones were. Needless to say, I've collected quite a bit of tubes over the years being the gear whore I am. I bought the VT1000 to test them, and it's worked brilliantly. It gives you a simple rating of whether the tube is good, worn, or failing, and a gain/power rating for the tube that can be used for matching.

I've only collected the tubes I thought might still be good over the years, so I only ended up with a few worn and failures, much less than I expected. One of the power tubes I found that failed was from a quad I bought this year and hadn't used yet. Some were on their way out as far as their gain rating, but most preamp and the majority of power tubes were very strong.

After testing and labeling all my old tubes, probably around 70 total, I started testing my amps just to see where tube life was. I've bought several brand new amps in the last couple years. One of them came to me with a bad tube right from the start, but it was crackling so an easy find and fix. Fast forward to last month, and I've found 3 bad preamp tubes from my new amps, coming up as worn. These are brand new amps made in 2013, from different manufacturers. It made a big difference in the way the amps sound, as they were all in V1 or gain stages. These tubes were working though, and just sounding crappy/worn. Without a tester, or randomly rolling preamp tubes, I would just think that's how the amp was supposed to sound. I wasn't even going to bother testing my new amps, but I thought I heard a tiny crackle when I was turning one up the other day. I had recently become unsatisfied with how the amp was sounding, and thought I was just getting over the honeymoon.

Moral(s) of the story, the VT1000 is worth it's weight in gold if you go through a lot of tube amps. Super simple to use, and it's worth the piece of mind knowing your tubes are good when you push them. It's also really nice to know where the preamp tube triode gain levels are, as I've found certain preamp cocktails I seem to prefer based on those levels. For power tubes, you can see which sets are going to break up quicker than others, and also which will work together matched for biasing.

The other thing that stands out, is watch out for todays tubes. I have found 4 new preamp tubes from this year that test as worn, with very low gain ratings. Three were in brand new amps, and one was in a set I bought this year. I only found 2 that tested worn in the over 70 I tested of my old tubes. The tubes are all OEM except JJ, but the others are labeled as PM, ARS, and whatever Splawn uses. I 'm not blaming the amp makers, as they all stepped up and sent a new tube, but it's scary how bad the quality is for brand new tubes.

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

The one thing I noticed on the demo's that I've seen is that (some) of the vid's they would time lapse the testing process and snip out the waiting.

How long actually does the unit take to test preamp and power tubes, I assume the different tube types the process time differs. :thumbsup:

Shiny_Surface":2x3pmvkh said:
The one thing I noticed on the demo's that I've seen is that (some) of the vid's they would time lapse the testing process and snip out the waiting.

How long actually does the unit take to test preamp and power tubes, I assume the different tube types the process time differs. :thumbsup:
for 12AX7 and 12AT7 it's pretty quick, probably under 4 minutes. It takes quite a bit longer for the power tubes, probably 5-10 min. I usually do something else if I'm testing power tubes. It seems to take longer for certain tubes too, my 6550 seemed to take the longest. I'm not sure if it redoes certain tests if it hits something out of the ordinary too, as it seemed to get hung up and retest at certain spots for my bad tubes. As soon as it fails one test though, it stops and the FAIL lights up.

blackba":2sm5e3ys said:
I have been curious about one. I currently use an old hickock 534 tube tester that used to belong to my grandfather.

I read the reviews at sweetwater and one customer mentions that the VT1000 didn't detect a shorted tube. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... MgodeBEAWg

I haven't experienced that, not yet anyway. Everything it says has been good, has sounded good in my amps so far. It found tubes I didn't even know were bad. I found one bad 6CA7 in an amp that I've been using for a year now. It wasn't redplating or crackling, and the amp sounded fine. Something was definitely funny with it though, as the amp got a lot louder with a set of new tubes.

btw, if I had the knowledge to use a machine like yours, I would probably just use that. I'm sure it can tell you a lot more about a tube. This is like "tube testing for dummies", lol.

Has anybody with a high end tube tester actually tested the accuracy of the the VT1000? I'm a bit skeptical about it.

I'd rather own a curve tracer made to graph BJT's and modify it for tubes. Curve tracing is the best way as you can compare it to the original datasheets and see exactly what the tube is doing at a specific voltage since each amplifier never has the same B+ which will run certain tubes beyond their capabilities - something that i am very unsure about with that tester.

In theory it will work in the very basic of cases, but realistically you need siemens/transconductivity curves and to know how to read them properly to give a definite answer.

I would trust it to find duds but i wouldn't trust it as a "good/worn" rating IMHO.

Interesting report Erock!

I think I assumed this thing was overpriced. I can see how such tester would be good if you go through a lot of amps and tubes, like you said. But still.

Most interesting is the number of worn 'new' tubes we are getting these days. I guess that is no surprise really. What other amps besides Splawn can I ask?

Anyway - thanks for sharing. Nice tube collection there. Much bigger than mine :D

So.....you got a new Nitro or what?

The biggest problem with these new tube testers is they assume the tubes are made to a specific spec, which they are not even close. It is not that new tubes are worn, they just aren't built to spec. Also you will find that tubes that test for high gain in real world conditions are actually lower gain in feel than tubes that test for lower gain.

I used to be into testing preamp tubes for gain etc. But the tests never correlated to the real world performance of the tubes. Like someone else said, only applying a input signal and doing a curve trace will really tell you what the tube is doing. Because Today's tubes have a lower internal plate resistance than they should, and tend to give false readings on these tube testers.

For power tubes testers are good like this for matching.

Yeah, I'm sure you guys are right about it's limitations, but I will say it's passed the ear test for me with a couple different amps. It saved one amp, that I thought I was just starting to dislike. I got a new quickrod several months ago, and I have really been digging it. The last few weeks, it started sounding really dull to me. I tried different guitars and another cab with similar results. I just assumed my tastes changed. I tested the tubes the other night, and found one that came up worn in V1. Put one of the tubes that tested as good in, and it's back to normal with my original setup. The feel is back, and the highend came back with all my guitars.

I bought a new orange or100 and really liked it right off the bat. It sounded great to me, but I tested the tubes, and found a "worn" one in v2. Replaced it, and was kind of disappointed as the gain became more aggressive than I wanted. I put a good tube that tested similar to the lower gain levels of the worn one, and it's back to where I liked it.

I bought this from a place I could return it after 30 days, but it's staying after my experience with it. YMMV of course.

311splawndude":1yumab3c said:
Interesting report Erock!

I think I assumed this thing was overpriced. I can see how such tester would be good if you go through a lot of amps and tubes, like you said. But still.

Most interesting is the number of worn 'new' tubes we are getting these days. I guess that is no surprise really. What other amps besides Splawn can I ask?

Anyway - thanks for sharing. Nice tube collection there. Much bigger than mine :D

So.....you got a new Nitro or what?

The amps were a Cameron OB, a Quickrod B+, and an Orange OR100. The Quickrod is a blast man, but I still like my Nitro too. :)

mehhhh

gimme a container o'coffer and my good old superior instruments td55 from 50 years ago and im good to go...no need for fancy schmancy widgets here.

baron55":1c6a2ghm said:
The biggest problem with these new tube testers is they assume the tubes are made to a specific spec, which they are not even close. It is not that new tubes are worn, they just aren't built to spec. Also you will find that tubes that test for high gain in real world conditions are actually lower gain in feel than tubes that test for lower gain.

I used to be into testing preamp tubes for gain etc. But the tests never correlated to the real world performance of the tubes. Like someone else said, only applying a input signal and doing a curve trace will really tell you what the tube is doing. Because Today's tubes have a lower internal plate resistance than they should, and tend to give false readings on these tube testers.

that's good to know man, I haven't thrown away the tubes that this tested as worn, but I'm afraid to use them now. The thing that really surprised me, is the number of new tubes testing worn compared to my old tubes. They weren't NOS for the most part. I have a few RFT and a couple NOS 12AT7, but most were made within the last 10 years. It seems like whatever batches made within this last couple years are really out of spec going by my small sample size.

Erock":1onzpfvv said:
baron55":1onzpfvv said:

that's good to know man, I haven't thrown away the tubes that this tested as worn, but I'm afraid to use them now. The thing that really surprised me, is the number of new tubes testing worn compared to my old tubes. They weren't NOS for the most part. I have a few RFT and a couple NOS 12AT7, but most were made within the last 10 years. It seems like whatever batches made within this last couple years are really out of spec going by my small sample size.

Don't get me wrong, the VT1000 is good for weeding out duds and very bad tubes, but the new/worn readings are based and determined buy algorithms that are measuring transconductance, plate resistance and other values. If the tube has no shorts, leaks and sounds good in the amp don't sweat it. As for preamp tubes shorts,leaks and microphonics are the only thing you can really test/determine unless you get more expensive and thorough equipment. One issue these testers have is that today's tubes will trick the unit to think the tube has higher gain due to the lower than normal plate resistance.

Today's brand new tubes, even ones that are very good, don't come close to meeting the design spec values

IMO, the tester you have would be more useful for power tube matching and testing power tubes for high voltage shorts and gas leaks. The issue with most tube testers including the Maxi-matcher that most tube vendors use, is it only supplies 400 volts to the tubes where most guitar amps run higher than that.

Yes tubes made today are of less quality by design, they want and need you to buy new tubes more often, helps keep the doors open

Back