Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Nov 14, 2018 2:41am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 11:59am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Hey all,

Need help pulling the trigger quickly on a chorus pedal that only needs to do one trick...sound great with Marshall high gain for straight on hair metal (Dokkenish). NEED a level control knob!! Already have a Boss CE2W, awesome, but need to dial in level for my current needs.

Again, no need for sounds great clean...I'm no young bearded guy with a boutique tele noodling cleanish blues/prog/whatever. Need the wet tones...the more processed sounding, the better!! Aquanet and spandex all the way...and not a Bare Knuckle pickup in sight, using old school Duncans for proper tonez in guitars with pointy headstocks and sharkfins.

Running mono setup...

Need something I can score online shipped to me before end of week, so something new in production, easy to get at the big shops.

No set budget...just nothing too complicated, can't hook up to computer or need firmware or whatnot (I get lost, and all these popups start showing up in my browser). Just some knobs type of deal.

Is it as simple as Boss CH-1, or something else?? Thanks for help!!

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 12:40pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I would say the Boss is fine , true Hair Metal Rocktron or Digitech

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 12:48pm 
Apprentice NOOB

MXR M234 Chorus.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 12:53pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Detune setting on a Whammy pedal, Boss CH-1 (think two of them).

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 12:57pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

gtr31 wrote:
I would say the Boss is fine , true Hair Metal Rocktron or Digitech

Thanks!

Frehley12 wrote:
MXR M234 Chorus.

Yes! I had forgotten about that one, wasn't that Zakk Wylde's chorus and the basis for his signature pedal later? Definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for, thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 12:59pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Nigel wrote:
Detune setting on a Whammy pedal, Boss CH-1 (think two of them).

These two together? Is this something similar to the Digitech Luxe idea as well?

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 1:57pm 
Plank Cranker

The new MXR EVH Chorus sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 2:11pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

stompboxfreak72 wrote:
The new MXR EVH Chorus sounds awesome!

Yeah, I forgot about this one too! The EVH stuff I've tried has been pretty good...the flanger has been competing for a spot on my board against my old BF2. I keep swapping them out for each other!

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 2:50pm 
Supah Stah

Ibanez CS9 but doesn’t have a level control.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 3:07pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

paulyc wrote:
Ibanez CS9 but doesn’t have a level control.

Another really good call...and now that you mention it, Maxon I think has that "pro" version of the CS9 with the blend knob and it's in production.

A little pricier, but wonder how that might stack up...hmmm

Yeah, the level control is what's throwing me off on my old stuff! Not only my CE2, I wish my Dimension C had one as well! I was hoping they would "discretely" add one somewhere on the new Waza version that was announced!

I used all this stuff back in the day and didn't mind...now it's like annoying me lol!!

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 3:14pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Rock Bodom wrote:
I used all this stuff back in the day and didn't mind...now it's like annoying me lol!!

Actually maybe it did come to think of it...I switched to multi effects and rack stuff after awhile. My all-time favorite chorus back in the day was that Rockman chorus half rack unit. Make THAT in a pedal with a level knob and I'm sold!!!

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 4:14pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Nobody on this board knows anything about Hair Metal..

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 4:25pm 
Supah Stah

Rock Bodom wrote:
Rock Bodom wrote:

Actually maybe it did come to think of it...I switched to multi effects and rack stuff after awhile. My all-time favorite chorus back in the day was that Rockman chorus half rack unit. Make THAT in a pedal with a level knob and I'm sold!!!

The reissue MXR Yellow chorus sounds EXACTLY like the 1/2 rack Rockman one... I have both. The reissue is 5 knobs instead of 3.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 4:44pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

paulyc wrote:
Rock Bodom wrote:
Rock Bodom wrote:

The reissue MXR Yellow chorus sounds EXACTLY like the 1/2 rack Rockman one... I have both. The reissue is 5 knobs instead of 3.

Seriously??!!!!

Oh geez...alright man, that hooked me!! I gotta try it...will order for this week, thanks!

Appreciate all the recommendations guys...I got the feeling I'll still get on a kick and try a few more of these out...to fake quote Hunter Thompson, "there is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of a chorus pedal binge."

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 4:51pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

midnightlaundry wrote:
Nobody on this board knows anything about Hair Metal..

I honestly don't think I've ever been on a board where more "Lay it Down" clips have been posted than here, back in the day especially!! :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 5:07pm 
Rock God Trainee

I'd look at the TC Corona Chorus, MXR Analog Chorus and the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble.

• Marshall JVM 210H
• EVH 5150 III 50w
• MESA Trad. 412
• Schecter, LTD & Fender
• EMG 81/85 & 57/66
• SD Black Winter
• Dimarzio Air Zone
• Celestion Vintage 30s

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 7:21pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The digi tech luxe is a detune pedal. Lots of hair metal was recorded with rack mount detune. Otherwise the tc Corona chorus. Does a fair job. The detune nails the 80's hair metal rhythm as it what they used a the thickner.

Jackson Professional EX
Custom Rademacher Veteran

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 08, 2018 8:41pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The Danelectro Chorus doesn't have a level knob but it is a very thick sounding pedal.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 2:30am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Be aware that the MXR M234 (which is the same as the Zakk chorus) does darken your tone and its buffer isn't all that. In the footswitchable loop of my EVH 5150III 50W it was even noticeable by untrained ears. Bye-bye punch and clarity. It does do the good chewy tone... think WASP's Holmes lead sound on "I wanna be somebody".

The Providence Anadime 2 and 3 knob versions do something weird with your tone too... Sounds great when played with clean tones, but it neuters your tone with high gain.
Never cared for the Boss CH-1, unless you're playing stereo. Also owned the analog version of the CE-5, but that too was so-so. Both a bit too sterile for me. Same for the TC Corona.
Boss CE-2 has always been my benchmark, but these days I find the mid-boost a tad overbearing. I use Mooer Ensemble Kings, as they do the CE-2 tone 99%, with less mid-boost and you have a level control added.

Other good choruses for the hair metal sound would be the MXR Micro Chorus and an Ibanez BC9. Especially the BC9 can get really thick and juicy.
By the way, the new Boss DC-2W that's coming out...should be interesting too!

Engl Savage 60 + Two Notes Torpedo Live
Engl e670 Special Edition EL34
EVH 5150 III 50W + Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical Slant cab
Fender '74 Princeton Reverb (w/ Eminence Legend 105-8)
Fryette Sig:X head + HB 212V cab (G12K85 +V30)
Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET + 1966A & 1966B cabs
Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 + Mesa 1x12 Thiele EVM cab
Roland Jazz Chorus JC-55 combo & JC-120H head
Axes:
Burny Les Paul (3x), Charvel So-Cal, Epiphone Wildkat, ESP Horizon NT-II, Fender '68 RI Strat, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, Ibanez S540FM & Kramer SM-1 Guitars

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 9:23am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

D-Rock wrote:
I'd look at the TC Corona Chorus, MXR Analog Chorus and the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble.

Yeah, Corona I was curious about too!!

So the Boss CE-5...I've watched/read endless comparisons of it to the CH-1...still trying to figure out the difference in a high gain context!!

Is one noticeably "thicker" sounding than the other when playing the wholesome hard rock and heavy metals??

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 9:28am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

mrhiwatt wrote:
The digi tech luxe is a detune pedal. Lots of hair metal was recorded with rack mount detune. Otherwise the tc Corona chorus. Does a fair job. The detune nails the 80's hair metal rhythm as it what they used a the thickner.

Yeah...I've always read about the Eventide and all that, I DO want to finally explore this!

Question, whether it is the Luxe, or something similar, does the detune ever sound good mono, or do you really need to run stereo (or wet/dry, or whatnot)?

I had forgotten about this, but a few years back a buddy of mine lent me a Keeley 30ms double tracker pedal to play with, I think that was the same idea? I can not for the love of me remember how it sounded!

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 9:30am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Tone Ranger wrote:
The Danelectro Chorus doesn't have a level knob but it is a very thick sounding pedal.

I've seen that one pop up too, thick sounding tends to be what I'm always looking for...I do still have uses for modulation effects even without the level knob, just needed something with it for the short term, so I'll keep this one the list to check out, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 9:40am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Speeddemon wrote:
Be aware that the MXR M234 (which is the same as the Zakk chorus) does darken your tone and its buffer isn't all that.

That's definitely my other concern with some of these...unwanted tone coloring. The rest of my board is complete and is dialed in so nicely, I don't want my quest for chorusy cheese to ruin it all!!

Thanks for the other recommendations...and yeah, cool to see the Boss DC-2W coming out! I have my original still, LOVE that thing! In stereo it is just amazing, total ear candy...same problem, I really am starting to hate not being able to dial in the level!!

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 10:01am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

corona chorus has level

Jackson Professional EX
Custom Rademacher Veteran

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 10:36am 
Supah Stah

Rock Bodom wrote:
Speeddemon wrote:
Be aware that the MXR M234 (which is the same as the Zakk chorus) does darken your tone and its buffer isn't all that.

That's definitely my other concern with some of these...unwanted tone coloring. The rest of my board is complete and is dialed in so nicely, I don't want my quest for chorusy cheese to ruin it all!!

Thanks for the other recommendations...and yeah, cool to see the Boss DC-2W coming out! I have my original still, LOVE that thing! In stereo it is just amazing, total ear candy...same problem, I really am starting to hate not being able to dial in the level!!

Other pedals that include a buffer already on your board (Boss for example) may help this situation, as well as a dedicated buffer. the level issue could be fixed by using a small mixer (RJM for example).

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 11:53am 
Rock God

CH-1 does a great job for that 80's rock thing. Can be subtle to heavy. Boss CE-2 I thought would also do it but if you want to blend it in, get the CE-2B. It is for bass but it is almost an identical circuit and you can dial in how much you want in there. I ride it half way and think it sounds great. No need to break the bank on chorus.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 11:58am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

paulyc wrote:
Rock Bodom wrote:
Speeddemon wrote:

Other pedals that include a buffer already on your board (Boss for example) may help this situation, as well as a dedicated buffer. the level issue could be fixed by using a small mixer (RJM for example).

That didn't fix it in the case of the MXR M234 in my situation. I had it in the fx-loop of my amp, with a Boss PS-6 Harmonist(buffered) in front of it and I've tried it with different pedals in front as well. The bypass just has a bit of tonesuck *and* when the chorus IS on, it's slightly darkening the tone too. It is juicy, thick, nice swirly and plays nice with (high)gain, but it's a bit less neutral that I'd like, and mind you, I don't want it to be TOO neutral either.

Actually, the detune setting on the Boss PS6 is rather nice, where you can adjust the percentage of detune as well as the Level/Mix. I was just dead-set on an analog chorus myself.... so far the only contender that isn't too big, to replace the Mooer Ensemble King for me, might be the new Boss DC-2W.

Pete Thorn's demo sounded great!

Axes:
Burny Les Paul (3x), Charvel So-Cal, Epiphone Wildkat, ESP Horizon NT-II, Fender '68 RI Strat, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, Ibanez S540FM & Kramer SM-1 Guitars

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 12:02pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

mrhiwatt wrote:
corona chorus has level

Gotcha! Yeah, I do want to check this one out.

paulyc wrote:

This is what I really need to study, I know the basic idea of buffers, but I haven't given it any thought in practice when adding/removing from my board.

Small mixer I've wondered about, I posted a thread last year when I got the CE2W and asked a question about blending in a dry signal so I could adjust the level, and one caution I got with the signals was "can't have them in parallel without phase cancellation". Does this apply using a small mixer like that RJM (that looked pretty easy to use, even for me lol!!), or am I getting things confused?

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 12:14pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Kapo_Polenton wrote:
CH-1 does a great job for that 80's rock thing. Can be subtle to heavy. Boss CE-2 I thought would also do it but if you want to blend it in, get the CE-2B. It is for bass but it is almost an identical circuit and you can dial in how much you want in there. I ride it half way and think it sounds great. No need to break the bank on chorus.

Yeah, I feel like the CH-1 I gotta just "check the box" on! I agree, if the cheaper pedals do the trick...I would rather figure that out first!

I did NOT know that about the CE-2B, another good option, thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 12:29pm 
Supah Stah

Speeddemon wrote:
paulyc wrote:
Rock Bodom wrote:
Speeddemon wrote:

That didn't fix it in the case of the MXR M234 in my situation. I had it in the fx-loop of my amp, with a Boss PS-6 Harmonist(buffered) in front of it and I've tried it with different pedals in front as well. The bypass just has a bit of tonesuck *and* when the chorus IS on, it's slightly darkening the tone too. It is juicy, thick, nice swirly and plays nice with (high)gain, but it's a bit less neutral that I'd like, and mind you, I don't want it to be TOO neutral either.

Actually, the detune setting on the Boss PS6 is rather nice, where you can adjust the percentage of detune as well as the Level/Mix. I was just dead-set on an analog chorus myself.... so far the only contender that isn't too big, to replace the Mooer Ensemble King for me, might be the new Boss DC-2W.

Running an effect in a loop (that is buffered already) shouldn't need any additional buffering. Almost any loop is buffered as far as I know because the signal is line level (preamp level). The issue MAY be that the loop is not pedal level friendly, or too hot for anything but rack gear.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 7:12pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I would add the ISP Impression pedal to the list of pedals you are looking at.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2018 10:21am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

paulyc wrote:
Speeddemon wrote:
paulyc wrote:
Rock Bodom wrote:
Speeddemon wrote:

Running an effect in a loop (that is buffered already) shouldn't need any additional buffering. Almost any loop is buffered as far as I know because the signal is line level (preamp level). The issue MAY be that the loop is not pedal level friendly, or too hot for anything but rack gear.

Trust me, I've tried a whole bunch of different methods; currently still own about 90 (vintage and more modern) pedals and owned & sold many more.... I've been around the block. ;)
-different amps
-M234 in its own TB Loop box-loop
-extensive A/B/C/X comparisons with other chorus pedals, both buffered and true bypass.

This was a pic of one of my AB sessions:

If the EVH's loop was to blame, it should also not play nice with other pedals, yet it does. I've posted about this on TGP as well, and a few guys seem to be hearing what I'm hearing.
Note that there are a whole bunch of chorus pedals that neuter your tone a lot worse when turned on, but when those are turned off, they typically leave your base tone be. Not the M234.

I would avoid the following, if you play high gain and don't want the balls/guts of your tone mangled:
EHX Neo Clone, Ammoon Chorus, Valeton AquaFlow (yellow 4 knob), Donner Metric Bender, Deltalab SC1.... and then some.

Axes:

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2018 11:45am 
Supah Stah

I'm in no way saying you don't know what you're talking about, I was just advancing a theory about why it might be. If I were using chorus in a loop I'd rather a piece of rack gear, and I ONLY use analog chorus, don't like digital for chorus. The aforementioned Rockman chorus is awesome, as is the LOFT 450 analog delay line, THAT is a kick ass, thick chorus...but now you need a rack.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2018 2:35pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Speeddemon wrote:
If the EVH's loop was to blame, it should also not play nice with other pedals, yet it does. I've posted about this on TGP as well, and a few guys seem to be hearing what I'm hearing.

Not to stray off topic too much here, but I couldn't run ANY of my Boss pedals in the loops of any of my EVH 5153 heads. I noticed you said you had a PS-6 in your mix. For me at least, it was definitely a level issue. Volume drop, dark tone, neutering, whatever folks wanna call it. The EVH loop (at least on the 5153 heads I used to have) does not like Boss pedals. I had other buffered pedals that seemed to work fine, and as far as I can tell, I only had the issue with Boss stuff for some reason.

Back on topic, Fulltone Choralflange, or an old Arion Stereo Chorus SCH-1 maybe? Decent prices on used ones out there. I used the Arion extensively back in my 80s hairband days and really miss it.

Last edited by Kevin11 on Wed, Oct 10, 2018 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2018 2:57pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I'm using TC Corona and a Empress Nebulus on different boards.
Both get it done very nicely.
The Nebulus has other options and can SAVE different settings for instant recall, nice feature. More $$ of course.

Best of luck

Good deals with Brad King, fusionbear, mystidream, just42dave, zewango, gbsmusic, northern1, midnight laundry, holy-diver, apophis, chocolatefish, jack butler, diezelduder, paulypanacea, mikemtm, MYDEMISE, exhibit-sbt, yankeebulldog, 232cap, drkorey, evhfan, losyboy23, spanny, kgp1, exbest182 LP Freak, UberschallEL34 and many others

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2018 3:47pm 
Supah Stah

The MXR Black Label, (Zakk Wylde), chorus pedal is a sleeper. I've had mine several years, and it's seen many others come and go. It's excellent. I've not experienced any of the aforementioned issues above, quite the opposite. It has additional tone shaping that works well.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2018 4:36pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

PlayAndersons wrote:
I would add the ISP Impression pedal to the list of pedals you are looking at.

Added...thanks!!

Speeddemon wrote:
I would avoid the following, if you play high gain and don't want the balls/guts of your tone mangled:
EHX Neo Clone, Ammoon Chorus, Valeton AquaFlow (yellow 4 knob), Donner Metric Bender, Deltalab SC1.... and then some.

Yeah...that's good info too, I've run into that with other choruses I've "dabbled" with in the past (as in, purchased, knew it wasn't a great fit, convinced myself I might still have use for it, and after gathering dust for a few months, put up for sale on Reverb!)

Kevin11 wrote:
Back on topic, Fulltone Choralflange, or an old Arion Stereo Chorus SCH-1 maybe? Decent prices on used ones out there. I used the Arion extensively back in my 80s hairband days and really miss it.

Oh man...I've been wanting something Arion, just for nostalgia alone, I remember seeing those all the time!

GtarLover wrote:
I'm using TC Corona and a Empress Nebulus on different boards.
Both get it done very nicely.
The Nebulus has other options and can SAVE different settings for instant recall, nice feature. More $$ of course.

Best of luck

Thanks!! The Nebulus intimidates me, but that save feature does sound very useful! Seems like Corona is a popular one!

napalmdeath wrote:
The MXR Black Label, (Zakk Wylde), chorus pedal is a sleeper. I've had mine several years, and it's seen many others come and go. It's excellent. I've not experienced any of the aforementioned issues above, quite the opposite. It has additional tone shaping that works well.

I'll admit it...I was going to try to grab one of these just cause I like the graphics (YES, I'm that GUY LOL!!)
Ok, not just because of that...it/M234 actually came up in a lot of my searches before I posted here for guys who liked it with high gain, glad to hear your experience is good!!

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2018 4:43pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

paulyc wrote:
The aforementioned Rockman chorus is awesome, as is the LOFT 450 analog delay line, THAT is a kick ass, thick chorus...but now you need a rack.

You know, sliding off track a little here...but that's one of my next projects I'm kicking around...putting the rack back together!!

Still got lying around an old MP-1, BBE (I'm not ready to banish it yet, I know history has turned on this baby, we'll see!!), PCM 41, Intellifex...

Want to add a Rockman chorus to the mix, but between the MP-1 chorus and the Intellifex, not sure if I need it...but I'm sure I'll pick one up anyhow.

But that's a thread for another day!!

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2018 4:48pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Guys, I got the MXR Stereo Chorus inbound tomorrow cause Pauly got me on the Rockman comparison, thanks for ALL of the suggestions and input!!

Still going to be checking a lot of these out though...no doubt the cheaper ones that got mentioned a lot I'll grab sooner rather than later just to try them (CH1, M234/Zakk, Corona, looks like that Mooer pedal is getting a discontinued discount thing going...)...but LOTS of other options I wasn't thinking of too!!

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2018 7:54pm 
Supah Stah

You could try a Danelectro FAB Chorus. Cheap plastic housing but sounds great, and has a Mix/Blend control. Or a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus which has Width and Delay Time settings. Just crank it up for the Hair Metal Chorus Cheese.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 11, 2018 11:46am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Kevin11 wrote:
Speeddemon wrote:

Not to stray off topic too much here, but I couldn't run ANY of my Boss pedals in the loops of any of my EVH 5153 heads. I noticed you said you had a PS-6 in your mix. For me at least, it was definitely a level issue. Volume drop, dark tone, neutering, whatever folks wanna call it. The EVH loop (at least on the 5153 heads I used to have) does not like Boss pedals. I had other buffered pedals that seemed to work fine, and as far as I can tell, I only had the issue with Boss stuff for some reason.

Hi kevin, interesting observation for sure! I'll need to try that with some other Boss pedals I have.
My testing with the MXR M234 was in the loop of the EVH both as first pedal, with then other TB or buffered pedals after it, as well as just by itself, and also just by itself, but in its own TB Loop box's loop.
From what I recall, the vintage Boss CE-2 (gots me two of those... :rock: one long dash MIJ and one silver-screw MIJ) didn't exhibit that issue really much.

@napalmdeath
Since the EVH is quite bright and it has a footswitchable fx-loop, you can easily spot the tonal difference, at least in my case. If you place the M234 in an amp with a non-footswitchable fx-loop, you'll have a hard time zooming in on the difference, unless you can put it in a TB Loop Box's loop.

Axes:

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 7:58am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

petejt wrote:
You could try a Danelectro FAB Chorus. Cheap plastic housing but sounds great, and has a Mix/Blend control. Or a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus which has Width and Delay Time settings. Just crank it up for the Hair Metal Chorus Cheese.

Excellent...more for the list, thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 8:04am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Got the MXR Stereo Chorus last night...

You know how long I had to spend trying dial that thing in?! Like...3 seconds :lol: :LOL:

It's like ridiculously perfect...being able to actually set the blend to about 10:30, it just nailed what I was looking for. No weird tone coloration either!! Hold a chord...click the pedal on and off, everything sounds equally clear (no volume weirdness either).

And I joke about the 80's "cheese" factor...but honestly, doesn't it just thicken tone awesomely? Too many dry amps out there these days...so abrasive. Add some mild chorus, a little slapback delay, so many amp clips would sound so much better...at least to these old ears :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 9:38am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Glad to hear it's working for you, congrats!

Now I need to add that to my chorus "want" list, thanks! :lol: :LOL:

Loved your description, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I need old-school thick and lush like Farrah Fawcett's hair, not guitar in a garbage can rolling down a hill. Easy to find the latter, not so much the former.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 9:44am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Kevin11 wrote:
I need old-school thick and lush like Farrah Fawcett's hair

That's so awesomely quotable :lol: :LOL: :rock:

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 10:52am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Rock Bodom wrote:
Got the MXR Stereo Chorus last night...

You know how long I had to spend trying dial that thing in?! Like...3 seconds :lol: :LOL:

It's like ridiculously perfect...being able to actually set the blend to about 10:30, it just nailed what I was looking for. No weird tone coloration either!! Hold a chord...click the pedal on and off, everything sounds equally clear (no volume weirdness either).

And I joke about the 80's "cheese" factor...but honestly, doesn't it just thicken tone awesomely? Too many dry amps out there these days...so abrasive. Add some mild chorus, a little slapback delay, so many amp clips would sound so much better...at least to these old ears :lol: :LOL:

Is that the big yellow one?

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 10:58am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Shask wrote:
Is that the big yellow one?

Yeah, that's it!

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 5:24pm 
Rock God

Don't know what happened to my post but I mentioned the Source Audio Gemini. Looks like you are all set though.

Gear Demos from a Guy Who Loves Gear!!!

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 5:38pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

JerEvil wrote:
Don't know what happened to my post but I mentioned the Source Audio Gemini. Looks like you are all set though.

Thanks man! Yeah, I needed something quick for a need this weekend, and digging that MXR for sure, but I was also going to later try some more of these out (I’m always trying out new stuff, I have a separate dedicated “test” pedalboard just to swap in new ones and see how they do).

I just took a look at that Gemini pedal, I’m intrigued by that quad chorus setting, this may go on the short list!

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 7:41pm 
Supah Stah

If you want some good rack stuff, the Roland SE50 and SE70 are awesome half rack units that do cool delay, Reverb, Chorus etc..., as is the Yamaha EMP100 I think it’s called ? That has the infamous SPX90 “Symphonic” preset ( Zakk chorus) that is super ballsy with high gain. These are all half rack units that do tons of cool stuff and fit in a tiny rack or maybe even on a pedal board., not to mention the all analog Rockman stuff.