At Metallica right now....(AXE FX)

I'm sure they've made far more money than they could have ever fathomed. If people still think they are sell outs, look at that train wreck they did with Lou Reed. That sold what, 4 copies??? At this point, if fans are still showing up to shows and buying their music, why stop? Metallica has been in my life longer than they havent. It's somewhat of a sad prospect to think at some point they will call it a day and no new music will come from them.

Funny thing is their roadies and sound guy has said in one of the Fractal vids that their tone was so much more consistent night after night
and they were so much more happier using SS over the tube amps because of that.
I saw them with G&R at Giants stadium on the Black album tour and their guitar tone was unreal.. I dont care what venue your playing in. Even a shitty venue with that tone is much better than their new tone in a good venue. Blah blah.. its too expensive to use tube amps.... Lars can sell another one of his shitty paintings and pay the transportation for 2 tours...No excuse for shitty sound when your at the level they are... None! :doh:

Fordman65":3sfxrhe9 said:
riffsfordaze":3sfxrhe9 said:
maddnotez":3sfxrhe9 said:
riffsfordaze":3sfxrhe9 said:
I will just say it, modeling amps suck ass! Metallica should've called it a day a long time ago! They have been on cruise control for way too long. Tarnishing a legacy that was once the very essence of metal.
"It's hard to explain the Hunger when you don't Feel it!"

Well, they are probably still selling out stadiums. I personally don't like anything Metallica after the Black Album. Maybe a random song or two, some of them are catchy but definitely cheesy and not the same band, we all know that.

But if I could make millions every night playing weak songs with garbage tone you bet your ass I am not stopping for anyone. :LOL: :LOL:

Completely agree with you but they obviously don't care about their 80's Legacy. Their true Legacy will be how they were the biggest/most selling band of an era.
That is the very definition of selling out! The polar opposite of what they stood for when they started out! :no: If there was one band in the 80's that i thought would never sell out it was them. The 80's Metallica is still my favorite band of all time! When i listen to their cover of Breadfan now it makes me want to vomit! Kinda reminds me of a politician's grin with a limp handshake (a facade indeed)! This dead horse has been kicked way too many times, guess i will stop kicking and remember what once was...
"Everyone i know goes away in the end..."

I'm not sure how songs like Hardwired, Spit Out the Bone, My Apocalypse or frankly the entire St. Anger album can be considered "selling out." Talk about commerically unacceptable.

My definition of selling-out is catering to a fanbase that never wants or accepts you changing. Being safe and selling the same regurgitated album time and time again. They have taken significant risks in their career and play what they love. Isn't that what music is all about? Totally legit to say you don't like the tunes, but nothing about the last 15 years of their career has been about selling out IMO.

Totally agree. Regardless of what people think of the band, they rarely "sell out" and do their own thing. I wasn't happy with the sound of "Load" or the poses in the album sleeve and seeing my band with makeup on, etc. but hey, they tried something new. After 2 1/2 years of recording and touring on the black album, I'm sure they were so burned out it is no wonder they didn't do a jazz album after that.

phil b":ne2sjnkc said:
Lars can sell another one of his shitty paintings and pay the transportation for 2 tours...No excuse for shitty sound when your at the level they are... None! :doh:

Hey easy, I have one of his paintings and kicks ass. :LOL: :LOL:

I don't think the Axe-FX is the issue. I saw Brit Floyd the past few years and they use Axe-FX units and their sound soars over the crowd and sounds phenomenal. I mentioned it before but think all of the mic swaps and moving the stage around probably didn't help. That is why "Sad But True" sounded like the end of the world and "Hardwired" sounded like a kiddie band.

Yeah, Exodus use Kempers and their tone is absurdly huge. Metallica's tone has sucked for at least a decade now, regardless of it being tube or SS they aren't gonna get far with that weak ass tone they've used on Death Magnetic and Hardwired.

They sold out before Master of Puppets. The Black album is a complete absolute sell out.

If your a musician your going to sell out. It's just part of the job. Kind of silly to think it would work any other way.

stephen sawall":1j029j1i said:
They sold out before Master of Puppets. The Black album is a complete tabsolute sell out.

If your a musician your going to sell out. It's just part of the job. Kind of silly to think it would work any other way.
I totally agree about The Black Album, and that's when I turned my back on them. They should have called it $elloutica. But how did they sell out before MOP?

phil b":3gtdxpqb said:
Funny thing is their roadies and sound guy has said in one of the Fractal vids that their tone was so much more consistent night after night
and they were so much more happier using SS over the tube amps because of that.
I saw them with G&R at Giants stadium on the Black album tour and their guitar tone was unreal.. I dont care what venue your playing in. Even a shitty venue with that tone is much better than their new tone in a good venue. Blah blah.. its too expensive to use tube amps.... Lars can sell another one of his shitty paintings and pay the transportation for 2 tours...No excuse for shitty sound when your at the level they are... None! :doh:

This +1000... especially the point about selling another giant modern ass art painting. LOL. :LOL: :LOL: :yes:

They've got plenty of money. I don't think anyone is laying awake at night wondering if James, Kirk, Lars, or Robert are getting by and making ends meet. Please. Sounds more like the lazy ass roadies and techs, don't want to lug the amps, service the amps, switch the channels for different songs, and tweak the gear as needed due to change in venues, locations, layouts, etc. Crap in, crap out. I wasn't impressed a few years back when James was running the VH4 channel 3 amp & Triaxis/2:90 rack rig. Now... it's way worse. If the AxeFX was soooooo awesome, they'd be using it in the studio to record with too... but what do they use in the studio? Tube amps. Not modelers or sims.

Go back to the Mesas. Do it now!!!! :yes: :thumbsup:

Beyond Black":2dt1z3hw said:
stephen sawall":2dt1z3hw said:
They sold out before Master of Puppets. The Black album is a complete tabsolute sell out.

I totally agree about The Black Album, and that's when I turned my back on them. They should have called it $elloutica. But how did they sell out before MOP?
They lost the raw local band edge and made a production album. Its a great one at that.

It is crazy to think about it now, but there were fans that left when "Ride" came out because they couldn't believe they did a ballad. Then I remember some people not liking "....and Justice" because it was too heavy. I do remember being a bit shocked listening to the Black Album, even though I liked it. It was like listening to a different band but couldn't deny the great sound quality and solid songs. Felt like someone had slowed down the turntable a few speeds though.

As much as I enjoy most of their entire catalog, nothing takes me back like when I heard "Kill Em' All" the first time when I was around 15 years old. I remember hearing "The Four Horsemen" and it was like hearing a freight train.

saw them last night. Overall great show. i had box seats so that was a huge plus. dug the lighting and overall really good. there was quite a bit of echo i felt. sound was better on certain songs. seek and destroy and shortest straw sounded best.

i kept thinking how hard it would be to follow lars. i mean, he just wants to hit the drums and you never know where/which counts he is gonna accent. His meter is “wild”

I don't know I hear a ton, of the old riffage in the whole Hardwired album

Atlas , Moth , Hardwired all have that Ride the Lightning , MOP style . I thinks its a look closer to their early stuff than anything in the last decade .

Also the Black album was a turning point like it or not it . most bands only dream of being that successful, it was like a blueprint for a generation

Avenged 7 , so many bands followed that style after

Tone Monster":md0dps58 said:
Their AXE FX tone sounds like mushy shit. Obviously could be the venue PA....it’s really bad though. Mud city. :no:

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHllIdeEZ1k

I'll have to say its the venue.....sounds pretty decent here... :confused:

I have seen them 4 or 5 times on tour since using the Axe FX. Reminds me of listening to a DJ. Sort of like having a hot step-sister. Coitus much interruptus.

No bounce, no gut crushing low end, little feedback and everything gated like hell. No thanks. I will just let the Memory Remain..... :D

romanianreaper":2gptdcin said:
It is crazy to think about it now, but there were fans that left when "Ride" came out because they couldn't believe they did a ballad. Then I remember some people not liking "....and Justice" because it was too heavy. I do remember being a bit shocked listening to the Black Album, even though I liked it. It was like listening to a different band but couldn't deny the great sound quality and solid songs. Felt like someone had slowed down the turntable a few speeds though.

As much as I enjoy most of their entire catalog, nothing takes me back like when I heard "Kill Em' All" the first time when I was around 15 years old. I remember hearing "The Four Horsemen" and it was like hearing a freight train.

There was a local am metal station in Milwaukee in 1986 that I heard Master of Puppets for the first time. It's hard to believe now but until the Black album was released the only Metallica you heard on fm radio was Fade to Black and One.

steve_k":2iea0dcw said:
I have seen them 4 or 5 times on tour since using the Axe FX. Reminds me of listening to a DJ. Sort of like having a hot step-sister. Coitus much interruptus.

No bounce, no gut crushing low end, little feedback and everything gated like hell. No thanks. I will just let the Memory Remain..... :D

Axe FX : Hardwired to always suck

I don't have much of a dog in the fight when it comes to Axe FX vs tube, but I do agree that there is no excuse for anything but stellar sounding tones at their level. I just think it would be amazing to see James show up with a couple 2C+ and a couple full stacks. I mean why not? Especially if they are touring the US!

They're using the Axe with the Matrix solid state power supplies into 4x12's. I've never used a Matrix but up LOUD nothing kicks you in the nuts better than a good tube amp. Maybe if they used 2:90 power amps they'd sound better.

Back