At Metallica right now....(AXE FX)

I agree their sound was very much lacking. It's not the venue for those who posted about their sound. The venue we saw them at is one of the best around for acoustics.
Right off my Wife was complaining she couldn't hear James clearly, or the guitars. Lars and Robert sounded decent but overall Metallica's sound lacked clarity, dimension and sounded very weak. I agree it was hard to really get into the concert. We usually stay until it's over but left early. The last recent show we saw there was U2 and their sound blew Metallica away. Great to see the band but we were both disappointed.

glip22":3eywl58v said:
I agree their sound was very much lacking. It's not the venue for those who posted about their sound. The venue we saw them at is one of the best around for acoustics.
Right off my Wife was complaining she couldn't hear James clearly, or the guitars. Lars and Robert sounded decent but overall Metallica's sound lacked clarity, dimension and sounded very weak. I agree it was hard to really get into the concert. We usually stay until it's over but left early. The last recent show we saw there was U2 and their sound blew Metallica away. Great to see the band but we were both disappointed.
Sounds to me like it's time for the real man amps to show back up on stage...with tubes and all.

They sounded pretty great at the Linc in Philly last summer and they sounded great again in State College. My wife's friend did say she had a hard time hearing James in Philly at the Wells Fargo last night. So it might not be a venue issue but an adjusting the sound to certain venues issue.

Candiria":1dwlhivx said:
They sounded pretty great at the Linc in Philly last summer and they sounded great again in State College. My wife's friend did say she had a hard time hearing James in Philly at the Wells Fargo last night. So it might not be a venue issue but an adjusting the sound to certain venues issue.
The best way to describe it is that it felt like there was thick netting in between them and the audience.

glip22":vgv2f4i3 said:
Candiria":vgv2f4i3 said:
The best way to describe it is that it felt like there was thick netting in between them and the audience.

That is a really good analogy man. That is definitely what it felt like. For me, especially the first few songs, it was like watching a band in another room. You could see them playing but felt like only the people nearby were feeling it. Was really weird. I've never experienced that at any show I've ever been to. It did get better over time though but never on the level of some bands I've seen. I saw Foo Fighters back in 2012 or so and was way up in the stands and felt like they were singing to every person in that arena.

romanianreaper":2zh2q5xg said:
glip22":2zh2q5xg said:
Candiria":2zh2q5xg said:

That is a really good analogy man. That is definitely what it felt like. For me, especially the first few songs, it was like watching a band in another room. You could see them playing but felt like only the people nearby were feeling it. Was really weird. I've never experienced that at any show I've ever been to. It did get better over time though but never on the level of some bands I've seen. I saw Foo Fighters back in 2012 or so and was way up in the stands and felt like they were singing to every person in that arena.
That's exactly what it felt like. Not many around us were feeling it either. It's great to see them but a band of their stature should be blowing the roof off the venue. Sounded like they were running 10,000 watts when it should have been 40,000. I hate to say it but Lars and Robert sounded the best :LOL: :LOL:

I will just say it, modeling amps suck ass! Metallica should've called it a day a long time ago! They have been on cruise control for way too long. The parody they have become is hard to stomach, tarnishing a legacy that was once the very essence of metal.
"It's hard to explain the Hunger when you don't Feel it!" :m9:

riffsfordaze":2vc6tg8k said:
I will just say it, modeling amps suck ass! Metallica should've called it a day a long time ago! They have been on cruise control for way too long. Tarnishing a legacy that was once the very essence of metal.
"It's hard to explain the Hunger when you don't Feel it!"

Well, they are probably still selling out stadiums. I personally don't like anything Metallica after the Black Album. Maybe a random song or two, some of them are catchy but definitely cheesy and not the same band, we all know that.

But if I could make millions every night playing weak songs with garbage tone you bet your ass I am not stopping for anyone. :LOL: :LOL:

Completely agree with you but they obviously don't care about their 80's Legacy. Their true Legacy will be how they were the biggest/most selling band of an era.

Sad but True... To me their 80's legacy will always be held dear, they made it on their own terms and no one can ever take that away! A lesson in life to be revered!
The rest of it after that Not So Much......

riffsfordaze":33zbgs99 said:
I will just say it, modeling amps suck ass! Metallica should've called it a day a long time ago! They have been on cruise control for way too long. The parody they have become is hard to stomach, tarnishing a legacy that was once the very essence of metal.
"It's hard to explain the Hunger when you don't Feel it!" :m9:

I actually don't agree with that part because they seem like they are having more fun than they ever have. Regardless of how their sound was, they were definitely into it, interacting with the crowd, etc.

riffsfordaze":1yi677ti said:
Sad but True... To me their 80's legacy will always be held dear, they made it on their own terms and no one can ever take that away! A lesson in life to be revered!
The rest of it after that Not So Much......

I’ve been a fan since 83....was HUGE into the thrash scene in the 80’s....and would argue that they’ve been doing it on their own terms the whole time. It may be not what you (not you specifically) like at times, but they’ve always done their thing, which I respect. I don’t love all of it, but there is certainly a lot of good to great stuff in their catalog.

T

glip22":3utcgiee said:
I hate to say it but Lars and Robert sounded the best :LOL: :LOL:

That’s what stood out when I saw them. Robert sounded great and the lead guitar cut, but the rhythm tones were weak.

As a bass player I felt I should’ve appreciated how forward and clear Robert was, but it just sounded like something was missing.

I'm actually conflicted now. Saw them at three different venues, all within a month and a half. Each venue was different, but none of them blew me away sonically. The music itself was fantastic though.

Just downloaded each show and I'll be damn if it doesn't sound stellar. Absolutely awesome to my ears.

maddnotez":3myqcg44 said:
riffsfordaze":3myqcg44 said:
I will just say it, modeling amps suck ass! Metallica should've called it a day a long time ago! They have been on cruise control for way too long. Tarnishing a legacy that was once the very essence of metal.

Well, they are probably still selling out stadiums. I personally don't like anything Metallica after the Black Album. Maybe a random song or two, some of them are catchy but definitely cheesy and not the same band, we all know that.

But if I could make millions every night playing weak songs with garbage tone you bet your ass I am not stopping for anyone. :LOL: :LOL:

Completely agree with you but they obviously don't care about their 80's Legacy. Their true Legacy will be how they were the biggest/most selling band of an era.
That is the very definition of selling out! The polar opposite of what they stood for when they started out! :no: If there was one band in the 80's that i thought would never sell out it was them. The 80's Metallica is still my favorite band of all time! When i listen to their cover of Breadfan now it makes me want to vomit! Kinda reminds me of a politician's grin with a limp handshake (a facade indeed)! This dead horse has been kicked way too many times, guess i will stop kicking and remember what once was...
"Everyone i know goes away in the end..."

Fordman65":3docs7bt said:
Really odd to make a post on rigtalk of all places during the middle of a fucking show. Be in the moment ffs.
My first thought. Our own technology has driven us insane. :doh:

The other thing I'll add is that I'm a huge fan of the "Hardwired" album and the opening song "Hardwired" with the speed and intensity, should have just pummeled the crowd....but didn't. I think it started off on the wrong foot.

I'm torn because I've been a diehard fan since 86'. Other than "Lulu", I've always found the silver lining in everything they do and have always kept an open mind. Their shows were always head and shoulders above everyone else. Just didn't blow me away. The other thing was the "opening act" Jim Breuer. He actually was really funny but they kept doing these games and radio things and just felt so different than a typical rock show.

Elric":1p75yayd said:
Fordman65":1p75yayd said:
Really odd to make a post on rigtalk of all places during the middle of a fucking show. Be in the moment ffs.
My first thought. Our own technology has driven us insane. :doh:

The quality of the sound was that bad. Couldn’t hear shit. Boomy mush.

riffsfordaze":3eljmfoa said:
maddnotez":3eljmfoa said:
riffsfordaze":3eljmfoa said:

That is the very definition of selling out! The polar opposite of what they stood for when they started out! :no: If there was one band in the 80's that i thought would never sell out it was them. The 80's Metallica is still my favorite band of all time! When i listen to their cover of Breadfan now it makes me want to vomit! Kinda reminds me of a politician's grin with a limp handshake (a facade indeed)! This dead horse has been kicked way too many times, guess i will stop kicking and remember what once was...
"Everyone i know goes away in the end..."

I'm not sure how songs like Hardwired, Spit Out the Bone, My Apocalypse or frankly the entire St. Anger album can be considered "selling out." Talk about commerically unacceptable.

My definition of selling-out is catering to a fanbase that never wants or accepts you changing. Being safe and selling the same regurgitated album time and time again. They have taken significant risks in their career and play what they love. Isn't that what music is all about? Totally legit to say you don't like the tunes, but nothing about the last 15 years of their career has been about selling out IMO.

Back