PSA - Randall Satan 50 CHEAP! (Discontinued).

maddnotez":1jlnwayt said:
I would. That is the lowest I have seen ever. By a large margin.

Uh, yeah.. But, I don't trust them. They're famous for bait and switch. Plus, I doubt they're allowed to advertise that low, (unless they're being discontinued)?

I sent a price-match request to Zzounds and AMS. If either budge, I'll order from them. Though, not likely.

I recently had to get Reverb involved with something I bought from ProAudioStar. They tried to ship something to my house with my city and state as my street address. The post office informed me of this after they were unable to deliver and had it on its way back to PAS. Long story short it took a week to get my money back after PAS had received the item back, and only because I contacted Reverb.

JMMP":28r4xpvc said:
I recently had to get Reverb involved with something I bought from ProAudioStar. They tried to ship something to my house with my city and state as my street address. The post office informed me of this after they were unable to deliver and had it on its way back to PAS. Long story short it took a week to get my money back after PAS had received the item back, and only because I contacted Reverb.

That's the thing. I've read ALOT of stories about blowout prices on items they don't have, then they take your money and don't respond to requests for refunds.

Zzounds wouldnt match, but they lowered it to $1028. Waiting to see what AMS does. If they do similar, I'll buy it from them and do interest free EZ pay.

I don’t know anything about that company, but I owned the Satan 50 and felt it didn’t really sound good at band volumes

Zachalou":mdzyyoyb said:
I don’t know anything about that company, but I owned the Satan 50 and felt it didn’t really sound good at band volumes
Can you elaborate on the sound?

I would pass. Also if you have not played the Satan, it is a unique sounding amp. Sounds/works best for extremely downtuned guitars with 7-8 strings. Former Satan 120 owner here.

Not your average high gain amp designed for 6 string guitars.

Speeddemon":3mruidr5 said:
Zachalou":3mruidr5 said:
Sure, bear in mind this is just my opinion, the satan 50 was not a bad amp at all, just not what I expected or wanted

The satan has a ton of gain on tap, way more saturation and cut, it's a very bright amp. But as soon as I got it up to band volumes it just thinned out no matter how I set the EQ, and personally I like a big fat sounding tone so it just wasn't for me. I feel like the 120 satan would probably be better for me with the additional EQ options. Also important to note that I was playing a six string guitar set in standard E tuning, most people say the Satan is designed more for down tuned stuff so could be I just didn't give it a proper test. It sat in a mix very well but on it's own I just didn't feel like I had the power of grayskull when I played it.

I sold it and bought a Thrasher 50, which I think sounds and feels bigger, had some tube issues with the stock tubes but after getting a matched set of tung sols it really has become a beast

Zachalou":18vwwe2o said:
Speeddemon":18vwwe2o said:
Zachalou":18vwwe2o said:
Sure, bear in mind this is just my opinion, the satan 50 was not a bad amp at all, just not what I expected or wanted

The satan has a ton of gain on tap, way more saturation and cut, it's a very bright amp. But as soon as I got it up to band volumes it just thinned out no matter how I set the EQ, and personally I like a big fat sounding tone so it just wasn't for me. I feel like the 120 satan would probably be better for me with the additional EQ options. Also important to note that I was playing a six string guitar set in standard E tuning, most people say the Satan is designed more for down tuned stuff so could be I just didn't give it a proper test. It sat in a mix very well but on it's own I just didn't feel like I had the power of grayskull when I played it.

I sold it and bought a Thrasher 50, which I think sounds and feels bigger, had some tube issues with the stock tubes but after getting a matched set of tung sols it really has become a beast

I've had the Thrasher 50 on my radar for about 2 years. I just can't find one at the right price.

Thanks Zachalou. Would you say the Thrasher 50 had similar saturation, but more 'heft' to the tone?

I play 6 string guitars in E and Eb mostly too and like Engl and Mesa (Mark) tones a lot when it comes to high gain, but thinny/overly bright is not my cup of tea.

boyedav":2wo3wvjn said:
I've bought several items from them with no issues, including an item I ended up returning without any friction. That said, one of the items was their usual open box item that they no longer had, but they gave me one new for the same price. If they're advertising B-stock items that they can't fulfill and are then trying to up sell another item at increased price, then that'll pretty quickly earn them a grievance with the FTC.

I've read many instances where that's exactly what they do. List blowout prices with no stock, and upsell. Not sure what their angle is here. They have it listed on Ebay as well, and show 10+ in stock, but that's 100% not truthful.

They gave me the same answer when I inquired on both Reverb, and Ebay, "We have 50 on order". Well, unless USMC has a truckload ready to go, they could be taking alot of peoples' money, and make them wait on a slow boat from China. This company has a reputation for sketchy practices. It's all over the internet.

Speeddemon":2jpv3z6i said:
Thanks Zachalou. Would you say the Thrasher 50 had similar saturation, but more 'heft' to the tone?

I play 6 string guitars in E and Eb mostly too and like Engl and Mesa (Mark) tones a lot when it comes to high gain, but thinny/overly bright is not my cup of tea.

Me too. I play standard E, and Drop-D, but want a surgically tight rhythm tone to pull off old school skip-picking, gallops, etc. My style is Hetfield/Jon Shaffer inspired.

Speeddemon":3tdlh83w said:

The thrasher has more heft and power to it than anything, it reminds me a lot of the deliverance 120 I use to have, only not quite THAT dry. Still super tight, GREAT low end power and takes boosts very well

Back