GET EZDRUMMER 2 FREE!!! Dunky's N' Demos 1st Giveaway!

JerEvil

yCmJ8pKl.jpg

https://gleam.io/jnCyk/get-ezdrummer2-for-free

First of all, please let me know if the link isn't working! LOL!

Keeping this up through February. Will be open to new AND current Dunk's subscribers. If this goes well, there are more that will follow! For those of you who are already sub'd, THANK YOU!

You all at Rig Talk have been great supporters of what I do, so want to find some ways to give back.

Hey Jer, I have EZ2, am i right to think that to edit midi you have to export the grooves, work on them outside the EZdrummer 2 player window and then copy them back in? I trust you can then split them back out to export each instrument to it's own channel to truly custom tweak. What they really need is an editor built in without having to go up 400$ to superior. Anyway...

Kapo_Polenton":1dvunb6r said:
Hey Jer, I have EZ2, am i right to think that to edit midi you have to export the grooves, work on them outside the EZdrummer 2 player window and then copy them back in? I trust you can then split them back out to export each instrument to it's own channel to truly custom tweak. What they really need is an editor built in without having to go up 400$ to superior. Anyway...
You are correct. The only way to edit IN EZD is to use the Variation knob, like select the kick and then turn the knob to add more or take away kick hits. And yeas, you can separate out to individual tracks. I agree, the editor in Superior is great but that is a spendy upgrade.

Kapo_Polenton":6n2qu7jx said:

I use EZ2 a lot and create my own tracks with it (rather than using the pre canned stuff). Even when editing the pre canned stuff, you don't have to export it? As a rule, I have the same kit, a mix of different kits (I have a few of the add on metal packs). From there, I split all of the drums out to their own channel. The EZ2 channel still is the master "send" and is where the midi track resides.

If you are using the template and 'grooves' in the 'player', take that sample from the player and drag and drop it over the actual grid in the mixing console. So in the groove editor/creator, you have your four or eight bar groove that is light blue in the player, drag that out over the same bars in the console and let go. Make sure that you drop it on the EZ2 channel. From there, double click on it and it will open the piano roll, midi editor. You can change the timing and velocity in there, or add additional hits or take them away.

I am sure that I am not explaining that well, but I used to do that a lot early on to get the hang of how they were playing/programming ghost notes on the snare, crash crescendos and high hat patterns.

shredhead7":3uejqseg said:
If you are using the template and 'grooves' in the 'player', take that sample from the player and drag and drop it over the actual grid in the mixing console.
This is exactly what I do in SD3. Those grooves are great but literally NEVER will fit what I am doing 100%, always have to make some tweaks. Find closest Groove then Just drag and drop into DAW then edit.

shredhead7":37logmec said:
Kapo_Polenton":37logmec said:

I use EZ2 a lot and create my own tracks with it (rather than using the pre canned stuff). Even when editing the pre canned stuff, you don't have to export it? As a rule, I have the same kit, a mix of different kits (I have a few of the add on metal packs). From there, I split all of the drums out to their own channel. The EZ2 channel still is the master "send" and is where the midi track resides.

If you are using the template and 'grooves' in the 'player', take that sample from the player and drag and drop it over the actual grid in the mixing console. So in the groove editor/creator, you have your four or eight bar groove that is light blue in the player, drag that out over the same bars in the console and let go. Make sure that you drop it on the EZ2 channel. From there, double click on it and it will open the piano roll, midi editor. You can change the timing and velocity in there, or add additional hits or take them away.

I am sure that I am not explaining that well, but I used to do that a lot early on to get the hang of how they were playing/programming ghost notes on the snare, crash crescendos and high hat patterns.
Right. This is what I meant by "exporting" - you don't have to save it as a file, you can do that or drag/drop into the track in your DAW. And yeah, route the EZD Mixer to Aux tracks win your DAW and assign appropriately. I have a whole vid series on this with EZD and Slate.

JerEvil":jt6btot9 said:
shredhead7":jt6btot9 said:
Kapo_Polenton":jt6btot9 said:

Right. This is what I meant by "exporting" - you don't have to save it as a file, you can do that or drag/drop into the track in your DAW. And yeah, route the EZD Mixer to Aux tracks win your DAW and assign appropriately. I have a whole vid series on this with EZD and Slate.

Sorry to interject. But Coming from EZ to SD.. That is what I miss the most about EZ.

For whatever reason I cannot do this with the drums in SD3. Any tips?

maddnotez":3qnff9s8 said:
JerEvil":3qnff9s8 said:
shredhead7":3qnff9s8 said:
Kapo_Polenton":3qnff9s8 said:

Sorry to interject. But Coming from EZ to SD.. That is what I miss the most about EZ.

Which part?

The routing to individual tracks?

JerEvil":94us9aob said:
maddnotez":94us9aob said:
JerEvil":94us9aob said:
shredhead7":94us9aob said:
Kapo_Polenton":94us9aob said:

Which part?

Yeah, like assigning each drum to a track in DAW so I can mix better.

So essentially the MIDI packs are mostly useless because I am with you guys, they are never what I have in my head or how I play my own drums. I guess the expansions are best for just other drums and any additional grooves that come with it that you can tweak.

From what I have seen, splitting them out to individual instrument track is the best way to make them sound more realistic or else what you have feels too synthetic for some reason. Ultimately what they need to do next is have a "raw setting" where it is your drums with zero processing on them. You decide the EQ, compression, flavour, and punch yourself! That would be bitchin.. I guess Slate did this with their drum sounds but that is more for Trigger.

Kapo_Polenton":2uuptyg9 said:
So essentially the MIDI packs are mostly useless because I am with you guys, they are never what I have in my head or how I play my own drums. I guess the expansions are best for just other drums and any additional grooves that come with it that you can tweak.

From what I have seen, splitting them out to individual instrument track is the best way to make them sound more realistic or else what you have feels too synthetic for some reason. Ultimately what they need to do next is have a "raw setting" where it is your drums with zero processing on them. You decide the EQ, compression, flavour, and punch yourself! That would be bitchin.. I guess Slate did this with their drum sounds but that is more for Trigger.
Yeah I don't use any presets with Superior Drummer 3. I use raw kits and add my own "everything". You can use the Original Mix settings in EZD but you get fewer mics and what not. Different tools though and I'd say more guys that DON'T play drums or have a ton of mixing experience using EZD, which is part of it's allure. You can get good sounding drums quickly without having to know what you're doing. I think the inherent sounds are better than the Slate stuff for "grab and go"

Was playing around last night trying to Get the MIDI out of EZ2 and onto timeline. Mixbus was a total wash but reading some of their support threads, it doesn't sound like their MIDI capabilities are at the forefront of what they think makes their product so great. Reaper I was able to see it but then not able to hear it. Anyway, pain in the ass, I might just rent an E kit for a weekend and throw some tracks down. Down the line if i like what I have come up with, I'll just book some time in a local studio and track the drums.

Does the Slate stuff have an editor built in?

maddnotez":3vilqb70 said:
JerEvil":3vilqb70 said:
maddnotez":3vilqb70 said:
JerEvil":3vilqb70 said:
shredhead7":3vilqb70 said:
Kapo_Polenton":3vilqb70 said:

Which part?

Yeah, like assigning each drum to a track in DAW so I can mix better.
Here’s a vid I did showing how to do it.

Hey Jer, how is the tracking feature on SD3? Not to derail the thread but have you messed with the cymbal tracking? Hats and overheads I mean. I have Slate Trigger but it doesn't do cymbals and I have decided to drag my kit back out and set it up again. Problem is, i no longer have a nice treated room so I am worried about reflections from the ceiling.

Kapo_Polenton":1yfaz24i said:
Hey Jer, how is the tracking feature on SD3? Not to derail the thread but have you messed with the cymbal tracking? Hats and overheads I mean. I have Slate Trigger but it doesn't do cymbals and I have decided to drag my kit back out and set it up again. Problem is, i no longer have a nice treated room so I am worried about reflections from the ceiling.
You know, I haven’t tried it BUT if you wanna send me some stems when you record I’ll do a test.

I have an older recording of all separated tracks.. what would be the best way? Export all individually and then send them that way zipped? I would be interested in seeing if it can track the hats..

Kapo_Polenton":195c6qgs said:
I have an older recording of all separated tracks.. what would be the best way? Export all individually and then send them that way zipped? I would be interested in seeing if it can track the hats..
Yup. Just make sure they’re all the same length

Back