Metallica doing something New

skoora

Putting a smile on my Face that is. Yeah, I’m one of those. Pre-Black fan boy and nothing since has been very good to downright awful....and don’t get me started on live...the terrible tones, Lar’s lazy drumming and Kirk’s off key solo’s and weird vibrato...but Fuck it, just Fuck it because I think they just tear it the fuck up with this and everybody in the band is stellar. Hats off to you Gentlemen.

I'm with you dude.i gave up after the garage days ep, everything after that was just filler for me.
Thanks for posting that was sick and hard to believe they can still pull it off like that.

I'll always have a soft spot for that song. When I was in high school back in the mid-80s, listening to Metallica was equivalent to listening to a band like "Satan's Whores" or something now. "They are too heavy", etc. We had literally a handful of us that listened to them in my whole high school.

I was a military brat over in Germany and one day my Mom was driving and I put that cassette tape in as we were heading towards the main gate. The acoustic guitars start and my Mom is like "Now see, this is nice. You should listen to more of stuff like this, I really like this", etc. Right as we get to the gate guard, the fast part kicks in and I'm rocking out and my Mom is panicking trying to get her I.D. card out and fumble with the volume at the same time while I'm laughing my mullet-headed ass off. LOL!

I have a hard time with Metallica lol. I also have a soft spot for them, they were my heroes for so long when I was young. Inspired me on every level. But I've come to realize that the Metallica I love must have been mainly inspired by Mustaine and Cliff. It would explain everything and why they have been just ok since 1988 or so. No matter what though, Hetfield's vocals and down picking abilities are still awesome to me.

i get old school fans, who only like the 80's era, but i'm surprised at all the black album hate sometimes.
I still listen to that damn album like once a week. Say what you want about the stylistic changes, or the songs, but you can not fuck with that album, sound wise. The tones, and production on that record are flawless. That into to holier than thou, through a good set of monitors and a sub is the meanest, wall of tone on any metal album still. '
<----life long fan boy.

Cannot deny they are great! Considering their personalities, it's amazing they have been together for so long.
The video posted sounds great! I still can't put my finger exactly on what I heard and felt recently when I saw them.
It's not their playing, stage presence, or vocals. All of that was phenomenal.
What was so disconcerting is it felt like we were watching them through a barrier of some sort. We've seen many shows in the same venue which is an excellent arena for sound. The sound system their can knock walls down.
With Metallica, it was like they were very far away. There was no punch or power at all; a real disconnect between the fans and the group. The whole point of seeing a group live is to connect with them.
As much as I grew up and love Metallica I would never see them live again. Unfortunately, it was a waste of effort and money.
I just do not get it. They have to know they sound weak as hell live. They should turn up the wattage.

311splawndude":1x5yud2x said:
I feel like most of the rest of you.

So who played the acoustic part here?

the acustic part i think is playback the original recording

and they are great, just need to come back to the big racks cuz they will perform better with inspiring tones,

Even though their career has been somewhat polarizing I think its amazing what they have done for the metal scene. They are arguably one of the biggest bands of all time and people don't even like metal like them. I'm not a huge fan honestly but I respect the hell out of them and did see them on the recent tour and it was pretty badass. Sound was ok but they still seem like they're having as blast.

glip22":181ilvnm said:
Cannot deny they are great! Considering their personalities, it's amazing they have been together for so long.
The video posted sounds great! I still can't put my finger exactly on what I heard and felt recently when I saw them.
What was so disconcerting is it felt like we were watching them through a barrier of some sort. We've seen many shows in the same venue which is an excellent arena for sound. The sound system their can knock walls down.
With Metallica, it was like they were very far away. There was no punch or power at all; a real disconnect between the fans and the group. The whole point of seeing a group live is to connect with them.
As much as I grew up and love Metallica I would never see them live again. Unfortunately, it was a waste of effort and money.
I just do not get it. They have to know they sound weak as hell live. They should turn up the wattage.
It's easy to say "gotta be the AXE FX" when you read the reviews of their live shows..but I've seen a few bands using the AXE and they sounded GREAT. Gotta be the sound system/sound guy..and at their level, that is inexcusable.
Fire the guy and start over..PA and everything.

Racerxrated":3cp8ec9p said:
glip22":3cp8ec9p said:
It's easy to say "gotta be the AXE FX" when you read the reviews of their live shows..but I've seen a few bands using the AXE and they sounded GREAT. Gotta be the sound system/sound guy..and at their level, that is inexcusable.

Yes exactly. There are multiple bands that I know of that use Axe-FX live and sound killer. This is not acceptable for a band of this caliber.

Apex1Rg7X":2vcrv2gv said:
Even though their career has been somewhat polarizing I think its amazing what they have done for the metal scene. They are arguably one of the biggest bands of all time and people don't even like metal like them. I'm not a huge fan honestly but I respect the hell out of them and did see them on the recent tour and it was pretty badass. Sound was ok but they still seem like they're having as blast.

Yeah, I was at a neighbor's house with my kids for I think it was their kid's birthday party, and some of the moms were talking about how much they loved Metallica. It was kind of surreal conversation. I didn't bother to join in and start blabbing about their albums or other metal/thrash bands as I assume they're not metal heads but just happen to like Metallica in some sense.

Racerxrated":x3c753lf said:
glip22":x3c753lf said:

That's what I'm thinking too. The guy (Metallica sound guy) is probably a lifelong friend and no one has the heart to tell him?

I mean listen to some of Victim's youtube clips of his Ozzy tribute band. He's using AxFx and he has amazing tone and the whole band has so much punch.

I mean, how many times have you been to a live show and you know damn well the band can produce great tone but for whatever reason it sucks that night. I mean, the band is not purposely trying to make their tone bad :no:

PS: I actually dig both Load albums, Garage Inc and Black album but nothing touches their 80's stuff. Class by itself. But considering how many bands fizzled out after the 80's the fact that they kept it going all this time gets major respect.

Yeah, I recently saw Sacred Reich and the lead guitarist uses an AxeFX and he sounded FANTASTIC. Seriously, an incredible tone. It made me contemplate throwing down on one. Metallica's tone sucked back in 2008 when they were still using real amps and it sucks now. It has nothing to do with the Axe and more to do with their philosophy on tone dialing now.

I'm always a fan right up till the guitar solo.

TgswmiX.jpg

Back