Bogner Ubercab vs Fryette Fatbottom vs Diezel FL

braintheory

Do any of you guys have experience comparing any of these cabs? I’ve had the Ubercab for almost 10 years now and it’s been my favorite for tightness and all out brutality. I prefer my Kerry Wright 4x12 and Friedman 212/215 for all the other stuff, but they can’t match the Ubercab at its thing. I’m curious how the Fryette Fatbottom and Diezel 412 FL compare to the Ubercab in tightness and heaviness? Have any of you guys done comparisons? And not with the older rear loaded Ubercabs. I’ve got the front loaded 16 ohm version

I’ve always been curious about which cabs are the tightest out there and it seems to me like these 3 would be the contenders. I’ve played these other 2 cabs before, but never compared with each other and the Diezel 412’s I tried usually had all K100’s in them, which I don’t like and I never tried them with my amps, so I’m not too sure.

I also recently replaced the T75’s in my Ubercab with Fane F90’s. I like it a bit better, but surprisingly it still sounds very similar to when it was stock with the T75’s. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Ubercab still sounded super heavy and tight with almost any speakers, but I’m satisfied with this speaker combo for now

I cant remember if this Ubercab was front or rear but I did a side by side with a VHT D412 and the VHT seemed a lot tighter. Not the same exact cabs but I would imagine the Fatbottom would be way tighter than even the FL Uber.

Best I can give an opinion on lol

I don't hear Ubercab and Fatbottom side by side, but construction seems very similar. I have V30 FB and I can’t imagine more tight cab than this one. Diezel FL has different front baffle so internal volume and projection will be different. I'm not fan of Diezel 'sub bass' voicing but cabs are built to handle it.

I’ve owned the Bogner Uberkab (rear-load with v30/Creamback H75s, though I’ve owned with traditional T75/v30 combo and all v30s), Diezel FL K-100 (though I also tried it with v30/K100, all v30s,all Creamback H75 and all Fane F70s) and a Fryette Fat Bottom with Fane F70s. I most recently had them all at the same time. Every amp I owned sounded better through the Fat Bottom cab – even when I put the Fanes in the Diezel FL cab side-by-side with the Fryette, the Fryette was better for what I like. Very tight, percussive and immediate sounding and more open. The diezel made it seem darker and more confined sounding. I will say I’ve owned a Fat Bottom cab in the past with the p50e speakers and I couldn’t dump it fast enough. I hate those speakers. I wasn’t a big fan of the K-100s in the Diezel cab either. It was very flat, dull and lifeless compared to how it sounded with the other speakers I tried in it and especially compare to the Fryette cab.

I looked into the bogner FL cab once. I didn’t like the fact that it was basically the same construction as the rear-loaded version, just with the speakers mounted from the front. The back panel was still screwed on.

In the end, the Diezel and Bogner cabs are gone and I currently have 2 Fat Bottom/Fane cabs with the 3rd arriving tomorrow via FedEx. That should tell you how much I like this cab. lol

Matt, are the Fanes cleaner, with less breakup than most Celestions ? I've tried vintage Hiwatt cabs but too long ago to recall much about them now. Always heard Fanes in general have some neutral, perhaps flat EV like attributes to them.

Have Bogner FL insulation inside like like classic RL version ?
I have Bogner RL on my way so I’m very curious to compare it with FB cab.

thegame":2wp9m1t1 said:
Matt, are the Fanes cleaner, with less breakup than most Celestions ? I've tried vintage Hiwatt cabs but too long ago to recall much about them now. Always heard Fanes in general have some neutral, perhaps flat EV like attributes to them.

They are definitely a clean/clear speaker. I don't find the F70 to be neutral - I think it lacks the v30 mid-spike. It has plenty of high-end, though they definitely don't have that high-end sizzle of the creambacks I have in a another cab. From what I read, I think the F90 is supposed to be a more neutral speaker...like a k-100. The Fanes do sound darker, thicker/more full in my Wizard cab compared to how they sound in the front loaded Fryette cab, but that's probably due to cab construction differences (though the Fryette speakers are F-70G vs. the standard F-70 - I don't think they are different other than the G labels are in Fryette cabs). The Fanes sound really good with my Wizards and Fryettes.

Vin Diezel":2wp9m1t1 said:
Have you tried the D412?

I owned a D412 a few years ago. I didn't get along with it because of those p50es. At the time I had those old VHT cabs, I would pull the p50es in favor of v30s and I liked the cabs alot more. I don't think I've ever played an eminence speaker that I liked.

mhenson42":24i2m1e4 said:
I’ve owned the Bogner Uberkab (rear-load with v30/Creamback H75s, though I’ve owned with traditional T75/v30 combo and all v30s), Diezel FL K-100 (though I also tried it with v30/K100, all v30s,all Creamback H75 and all Fane F70s) and a Fryette Fat Bottom with Fane F70s. I most recently had them all at the same time. Every amp I owned sounded better through the Fat Bottom cab – even when I put the Fanes in the Diezel FL cab side-by-side with the Fryette, the Fryette was better for what I like. Very tight, percussive and immediate sounding and more open. The diezel made it seem darker and more confined sounding. I will say I’ve owned a Fat Bottom cab in the past with the p50e speakers and I couldn’t dump it fast enough. I hate those speakers. I wasn’t a big fan of the K-100s in the Diezel cab either. It was very flat, dull and lifeless compared to how it sounded with the other speakers I tried in it and especially compare to the Fryette cab.

I looked into the bogner FL cab once. I didn’t like the fact that it was basically the same construction as the rear-loaded version, just with the speakers mounted from the front. The back panel was still screwed on.

In the end, the Diezel and Bogner cabs are gone and I currently have 2 Fat Bottom/Fane cabs with the 3rd arriving tomorrow via FedEx. That should tell you how much I like this cab. lol

You put that coupon i set you to good use with a new FB cab huh?! :D

I've had an Uberkab and a Deliverance 4x12, I didn't care at all for the D cab but I never like Eminence for whatever reason. And that was to match it with my D60 at the time. Uberkab, or regular Bogner V30 cabs are killer, but haven't played a Diezel.

I have a Fryette D412 cab that I have slightly modified. First I cut a 2x4 to make a brace between the front and back panels, securing with wood screws. This increased the tightness considerably. It also has a V30/K100 mix. Best cab I have ever played through.

braintheory":1q1d4z3d said:
Anyone else have experience comparing these cabs?

I've had them all side to side... and still own the Bogner FL UberKab and Diezel FL V30s. I hated the Fryette FatBottom with P50E speakers. Not my thing at all. The Fryette was very hollow, weird mid-voicing, and boxy sounding. Not a pleasant sound. P50E speakers have this semi-vintage-like sound to them... maybe due to the lower output rating. Meh.

The FL Ubercab is the most versatile and works best with the largest variety of amps. The Diezel FL V30 is more specific and niche oriented... it is tighter, more focused, laser-beam directional at times depending on placement and the room it is in... and overall a great cab to pair with an amp that needs tightening in the bottom end (ie Recto, Uberschall, et al).

So... FL 16 Ohm UberKab or 16 Ohm Diezel FL V30 for the win.

PS: I also despise K100 speakers with a passion, so anything with those is a no go for me. I've had them in several different 4X12s.

Back