Higher-end Bedroom Mint vs. Gigged Gear

Junk Yard Dog

I gig. As much as I would love for my amps and cabs to stay mint, it's impossible.

I've never been one to complain about a dent or ding when I buy used gear, because it's not for show for me, but how it sounds and plays. But I completely understand wanting to sell something for MINT. I don't mind playing something with scuffs. But do people only care about mint for resale value or is it more just that it has to be a 'perfectly beautiful' finish or top?

My 2x12 sounds great, i love it, but it's starting to show gig-wear after one year of gigging on average once a month, but sometimes 3 times in a month.

Curious how you guys handle the trade off.

For me it's all about the resale value, and ability to turn something quickly if needed. I go through gear so much that I want to unload it as quickly as possible if I don't like it. All other things equal, a mint piece will faster than a piece in "good" condition.

Pentatonic":2c7mhm6i said:
For me it's all about the resale value, and ability to turn something quickly if needed. I go through gear so much that I want to unload it as quickly as possible if I don't like it. All other things equal, a mint piece will faster than a piece in "good" condition.

Yeah, agree: naturally. Do you gig a lot? I'm curious to also hear from a gigging perspective, moving amps/cabs in and out of cars, hallways, up and down stairs like I did this weekend, a lot, etc.

I buy it knowing I'm going to play it live. If it's a piece I think I want to stay minty, it doesn't go out. It's just too hard to control all the variables of playing live to keep it looking minty. Tolex scuffs and tears. dings happen. It's just part of playing rock'n'roll :rock:

Junk Yard Dog":3cl6nmdw said:
Pentatonic":3cl6nmdw said:

Yeah, agree: naturally. Do you gig a lot? I'm curious to also hear from a gigging perspective, moving amps/cabs in and out of cars, hallways, up and down stairs like I did this weekend, a lot, etc.

Yes I gig. And I do a good amount of running around, which results in dings on my guitars. When I take a new guitar to a gig I go easy on it until I know it's a keeper. If I don't like a guitar I put low hours on it and usually flip it within 2 months. I should mention I try to keep my guitars under $1200, mostly because I gig them. I don't purchase to collect, I purchase to play.

Regarding keepers.....my favorite is an old Japanese Jackson SL-1 that has been beat to crap. Over the years I've ran into a dumpster with it in an alley during a gig (long story), accidentally lifted it into a ceiling fan playing over my head on a bar top, had a coworker intentionally wack it with a pool cue because she was mad at me......lol. Lot's of dings, but it's one of the best playing, best sounding guitars I've owned.

Pedals, amps, and such I try to buy in mint condition and can usually keep them in good shape (at least until I flip them). Pedals go into an aluminum pedaltrain case. I don't tour.....which is a huge factor. Only play local clubs 2-3 times a month.....so keeping my stuff (other than guitars) in decent shape is pretty easy. I load/unload my own gear which also plays a part in keeping tolex dings and tears to a minimum.

I noticed a few marks on my JJ Jr and cab and my BE-50 and 212 when I was selling them. I do use covers but once in a while, someone else is trying to help you move your stuff and thus, they aren’t always as careful. Then again, at the end of the night being tired from playing 3 sets, I’m not always as careful as I should be.

I buy cases and covers to protect my gear and keep it functional. Things like cabs are tools and I've been using the same ones for 6+ years now. Condition might be important on some things but for a cab I just say get a good one and use it without worrying about how much you can sell it for later since you probably won't need to sell it at all if its getting used.

Marykelly":2bqxca83 said:
I buy cases and covers to protect my gear and keep it functional. Things like cabs are tools and I've been using the same ones for 6+ years now. Condition might be important on some things but for a cab I just say get a good one and use it without worrying about how much you can sell it for later since you probably won't need to sell it at all if its getting used.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I prefer buying things dinged already, partially due to price but also so I won't feel bad when I ding them myself. I've got a minty JP2C that's as fresh as when it came out of the box two years ago and the thing stresses me out, because I'm worried about hurting it. On the flipside, I've got an old JCM800 that's beat to shit and had the headshell glued back together at one point, so I'm not concerned about dings and scratches on it.

I used to not care and use my gear as tools not collector pieces. My Hamer USA Centaura had a spot on the lower horn where a drunk girl slid into my mic stand way back in 92 and the stand put a nice ding on it. But, as of 2010 when I started gear flipping I started taking care of my gear and paying more attention to keeping them clean. I'm not so concerned with buying mint, since I always buy used vintage..that type of gear is always used and scuffed.

Pentatonic":1eb9r44x said:
Junk Yard Dog":1eb9r44x said:
Pentatonic":1eb9r44x said:
had a coworker intentionally wack it with a pool cue because she was mad at me......lol.

Wot? Do you work at a gladiator factory? Or in the CIA?
So many questions. The first is why there's a pool cue at your job.

That being said, I only have one guitar that I got new, and it's still mint because I only play it on the couch :D They are made to be played. I'd probably never buy a brand new really expensive guitar. I'd rather have one that's already dinged and played in.

I pay more attention to pricier gear and first hit is always most painful but sometimes it just happens. When the gig is not that important or when it is club known for shitty sound/PA, I don't take my best amp and guitar to avoid unnecessary damage.
Resale value goes down even with small dings but I don't like to make deals with poeple who are obsessively dependent on gear's shape. I'm not so picky when price is right.
On the other side somethings like 1960 Marshalls looks much cooler with battle scars and I don't have to care about any damage anymore.

bubucci":2g3kp0o2 said:
I pay more attention to pricier gear and first hit is always most painful but sometimes it just happens. When the gig is not that important or when it is club known for shitty sound/PA, I don't take my best amp and guitar to avoid unnecessary damage.
Resale value goes down even with small dings but I don't like to make deals with poeple who are obsessively dependent on gear's shape. I'm not so picky when price is right.
On the other side somethings like 1960 Marshalls looks much cooler with battle scars and I don't have to care about any damage anymore.
For 1960s, the sound quality is directly correlated with how beat up it is. If you've got a mint 1960, I don't want it. If it looks like it's been through a shredder, then I know it'll sound great.

I get around it by never having the intention to sell anything.

If I ever do sell, it's always with the caveat that it's "player grade," and priced accordingly.

I really dont care if there are a few dings here and there. As long as its not painful to look at. If its been used at all I expect there to be some signs of it. Its a piece of gear not a painting or baseball card. Hell you can can replace a headshell if needed. Cabs on the other hand take a fair amount of abuse. If I were to start gigging again I would buy a used scuffed up cab and leave my good shit at home. I doubt I will get to that point again.

Maybe one day people will start wanting relic'd amps.

I buy two different kinds of gear. Home/studio kept OR gigging.

My gigging stuff is common. If I gig i drag my mesa Nomad 2x12 combo, open mic, Mesa subway blues.

Other amps aren't gigged. Period, although i recently gigged my Rockerverb.

Guitars are different. My gibsons are beat. My prestige ibbys are mint. My semis are mint. My fenders are mint. The others are somewhere in the middle.

If it's something I know i will keep, I will buy dinged. If unsure i buy VG+ just to make sure i can get top buck and quick flip.

I buy to flip sometimes. I buy to keep sometimes.

If I can't break even of profit, I don't buy anything.

swamptrashstompboxes":37oukals said:
I buy two different kinds of gear. Home/studio kept OR gigging.

My gigging stuff is common. If I gig i drag my mesa Nomad 2x12 combo, open mic, Mesa subway blues.

Other amps aren't gigged. Period, although i recently gigged my Rockerverb.

Guitars are different. My gibsons are beat. My prestige ibbys are mint. My semis are mint. My fenders are mint. The others are somewhere in the middle.

If it's something I know i will keep, I will buy dinged. If unsure i buy VG+ just to make sure i can get top buck and quick flip.

I buy to flip sometimes. I buy to keep sometimes.

If I can't break even of profit, I don't buy anything.

Pretty much same here. I welcome pieces with playwear at the right price, and If I buy something to flip, it has to be the right price and clean, otherwise it's a thought sell

If I buy something and know I'm going to keep it, I still take care of it, but wear happens when things like guitars and cabs are being used, so I just try to be careful and still expect the wear as it comes.
My favorite guitar is my Gibson R8 and it's also my most expensive, but it goes in the trailer more than any of my other guitars combined. I didn't spend he money to stare at it through a glass case, I bought it to play it, and so I do!

I just generally try to take care of my gear, which basically means just not being careless with it. That said, stuff inevitably acquires dings and scrapes when being gigged, especially big heavy stuff like amps and cabinets. I don't worry about it too much, especially since most of my gear is bought used anyway.

As OP had stated mint or used. I seem to find mint means being sold to take as little of a loss as possible. If that's the case prefer to buy new as opposed to saving $30 bucks on a few $200 pedal or $300 on a mint* 2k amplifier. Not really into rolling the dice on used gear I am paying a premium on that has no warranty, what's the point? If your paying 3/4 or more of the new price your closer to new than used And the recently serrviced* note. And then pack it in a box to ship and the tubes may get bounced around so the recently serviced means*. Ymmv

Back