Diezel VH2: Talk Me In/Out

Vin Diezel":3mu2a6az said:
Junk Yard Dog":3mu2a6az said:
Vin Diezel":3mu2a6az said:
I agree on the foot switch cable. I cut a few inches and then resoldered.
Solved.
The hypothesis that Peter used different or cheaper tube sockets for the VH2 than for his other amps is quite certainly untrue.
Peter uses the best stuff that is available to him. Do you really think it makes sense to save a few dollars on a particular item and then have people complain about it if you are such a small company known for its rigorous build quality?
That's not the Diezel way of doing things.

Hope so... Have you played the VH2? If so, thoughts?

I know the Fokker very well, which is the VH2 with a different OT.
Channel 1 is better than VH4's. Channel 2 is a bit fatter (more low mids) and less mid-rangey (think 1000Hz) than VH4's CH3.
Very nice amp

Hmmm...I like mid-rangey, coming from modded Marshall's. My cab has a Chinese V30/CBH75 mix, so I'm curious if that will help sprinkle some mid-range, if it's needed.

I'm digging the tones from my VH2. Into the FL V30 Diezel cab it sounds fantastic. Love the gain up on channel 1 for old school punchy rock tones. Channel 2 is chug paradise.

UberschallEL34":d2hb61zw said:
I'm digging the tones from my VH2. Into the FL V30 Diezel cab it sounds fantastic. Love the gain up on channel 1 for old school punchy rock tones. Channel 2 is chug paradise.

When did you pick up a VH2? I don't recall seeing you post a video on youtube with it.

Metlupass2":16ncdazw said:
UberschallEL34":16ncdazw said:

When did you pick up a VH2? I don't recall seeing you post a video on youtube with it.

Haven't had time to - been busy. I will try to get one up soon if I can.

Junk Yard Dog":1vdi389v said:
Vin Diezel":1vdi389v said:
Junk Yard Dog":1vdi389v said:
Vin Diezel":1vdi389v said:
Solved.
The hypothesis that Peter used different or cheaper tube sockets for the VH2 than for his other amps is quite certainly untrue.
Peter uses the best stuff that is available to him. Do you really think it makes sense to save a few dollars on a particular item and then have people complain about it if you are such a small company known for its rigorous build quality?

Channel 1 is better than VH4's. Channel 2 is a bit fatter (more low mids) and less mid-rangey (think 1000Hz) than VH4's CH3.
Very nice amp

Hmmm...I like mid-rangey, coming from modded Marshall's. My cab has a Chinese V30/CBH75 mix, so I'm curious if that will help sprinkle some mid-range, if it's needed.

If you mean high mids - Diezels don't have lots of them. In the Diezel forum someone posted a shootout between the vh2 and a jcm 800.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=207414

Vin Diezel":2mnlwn5w said:
Junk Yard Dog":2mnlwn5w said:
Junk Yard Dog":2mnlwn5w said:
Solved.

Very nice amp

If you mean high mids - Diezels don't have lots of them. In the Diezel forum someone posted a shootout between the vh2 and a jcm 800.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=207414

As long as it cuts live, I'm good. High, low, whatever mids it has. I get mine tonight and can compare it to my JJ100.

Cheers!

UberschallEL34":3htcoaif said:

Ha! WELL... First impression is it's a monster and any jitters I had about it not 'cutting' are gone. The problem right now is I can't get it to the volumes I want in my apartment--too many complaints from neighbors in the past. So, I can't really give a true first impression review just yet.

I did A/B it with my JJ100 and BE50 and lower apartment volumes, all EQ's at noon, and they are not drastically different in overall sound. High gain amps going through the same speakers. The feel is pretty different. Quite a bit more gain on the Diezel's, and more punch at lower volumes. I still favored the Friedmans a bit, but that's cause it's what I"m used to.

Only thing that kind of made me wince was there is a sparkly top end that could potentially be good or bad depending on your preference. Grainy may be a better word? It wasn't bad, just not used to it. it was trying to dial it out and noticed it more with the gain getting maxed. This is something I remember when playing the Herbert 3 not too long ago. ...All great amps have their things in the tone and feel. Example, Splawn's have what I call a "scratchy" thing in the tone to me that I couldn't dial out; also a bit grainy. Some love it, but I grew to not gel with it. The Friedmans do the same thing, but the voice switch cancels it out. That 'sparkle' helps in the mix a bit, though, I think.

I'm going to play it at band jam tonight to really open it up and appreciate it's glory. But overall, so far, it's a beast and fun to play.

Report back later.

Update... I opened up the amp at small room band jam last night. The 'grainy' thing went away. So to me it definitely needs to be louder than small apartment volumes; that's just my experience. That's not to say it doesn't have a great master volume: it does. On par with the Friedman MV.

The VH2 is crushing. That massive tranny is choice. Amp sounds 'ewwwwwge'. It's a lot of fun to play. The Friedman JJ to me is a little more Marshall, but ANY concerns I had about this amp not having enough mids or 'cutting' live are gone. The amp has great low-mid grunt, but still have 'middle or high' mids enough to cut.

I preferred Channel 2 without a boost. It's the near--perfect mix of tight saturation, but still raw and agressive. I don't like how some boosts can over compress. I didn't run the gain higher than 3:00; I felt it got a little loose then. 3:00 was prefect for modern AIC or Tool.

I need to spend more time with it... Just a bitchin amp and compared to others on the market for a lot more, I think it's a great value if you like what it does.

I played it through my Friedman 2x12 V30/CBH75 combo. I think Redbacks would be the best match for the VH2.

They amp can get bright; i pretty much ran it at noon. Channel 1 does an authoritative Plexi rock that I love. I think I dug it more than the Smallbox Plexi on the BE100 DLX. Channel 2 is so much fun to play.

USA Schecter PT with Duncan Custom 8--Duncan Custom with Alnico 8 mag. My favorite pickup for 5 years and have them in all my guitars.

Back