What is an amp worth to you?

braintheory said:
For 2k or under used there’s lots of options that I think are better than getting a Friedman. You may be able to find a non-eq Mark iic+, Diezel VH2, Engl Special Edition, Engl Inferno

My favorite amps under 2k (also under 1.5k) are an old jmp2203 and a good Mark III. I don’t see any Friedman being anywhere near as inspiring to play as those, although I’m still curious about their new Jake E Lee model, which seems to be a more Marshall-y flavor

Also, for non-high gain stuff, the old Ampeg Gemini II from the 60’s is one of the very best amps I’ve ever played if your looking for a warm clean tone. I paid $380 and they typically go for $5-700. You can see in my sig the amps I have and this Ampeg would be in my top 7. For cleans I play it more than my ‘64 Vibroverb that I literally paid 10x as much for. The Vibroverb is also among the very best clean amps ever and the best black face amp imo, but I still like my Ampeg, that was 1/10 the price, a little more. I don’t use it for much else really, but for cleans it’s really something special

I get you on the mkiii. I will snag a local one if it pops up at the right time. I have had plans of such for a while. If I were to get a JMP2203, at the right price I would totally go for it. But half of the the JMP/JCM 2203/4 I see have been molested. I have been putting that bandmaster back to stock slowly for a while now. Somebody really messed that one up. It's a fun game though, but I am far more confident and experienced with fender BF/SF amps than I am Marshall. And also, the molested bandmaster cost me $400 and I was aware of some issues. Finding a unmolested JMP for under $1500 I have not found easy. Or guys do not want to pull the chassis and show me the guts, which is understandable,but I am not going to drop that kind of cash to mod it back. I would be pissed to spend the big coin on a JMP and crack it open and have to fix some idiots work. I am not a pro, but my work is better than most band aid amps I snag.

I would go for a Gower mod or even Monomyth mid over a BE100, 100% of the time, but again, the BE100's move stupid easy.

swamptrashstompboxes":8nfifddz said:
LP Freak":8nfifddz said:
Metlupass2":8nfifddz said:
First things first.... You need to get rid of the your signature under your posts. It's not 2005 and nobody lists all that stuff anymore.
Huh? What? Are you kidding me?

Exactly. WTF.

I trimmed some off as it was longer than I realized when I was on my cell.

I was busting your balls cause your post take up my entire phone screen.

Mailman1971":1drnkceh said:
Everything is replaceable. I’ve owned over 50 amps. I buy sell em. Rebuy em. :LOL: :LOL:
Just sold one of my favorite amps to buy an arcade game. Well worth it. :yes:
It’s just material things.

What'd ya get? I've been looking for a standup Tempest game....would spend hours playing that in the arcade back in the day.

Good thoughts here.

For me, it’s almost always used, I’ve bought 1 new amp and that was an Engl Fireball 60 for $1100 at a local store years ago. If I recall correctly, the most I’ve ever paid was $2600 or$2700 for a Diezel Hagen on this forum years ago. My unwritten limit seems to be around the high $2k range. Any more than that and it’s just not worth it to me. We all have different circumstances and I’m at a point in my life where I can afford pretty much anything I want to buy, but it’s not worth it to me.

Definitely agree I don’t need a high end boutique amp to get the sound I want. One of my favorite amps right now is a JVM205 I paid $800 used from a local store. It really comes down to “want” vs “need” no doubt.

Having said all that, I will gladly pay the mid $2k price for the new SLO-30 as soon as I can find one :rock:

Definitely a subjective thing, but I can't see myself ever dropping the kind of cash that the "new high end" costs on an amp. $2000 is as high as I've gone- was 14 years ago and I'm unlikely to go that high again, certainly not higher. Fortunately, the industry is trending towards more "lunchbox class" amps which are more reasonably priced for the less than loaded/price conscious among us, and they're really more practical in a lot of cases anyways. Modelers and VST's getting better and better is another thing working to our benefit- quality is going up, price is coming down. Even the top end of modelers seems like a bargain compared to the Fortins, Friedmans, and Wizards out there. But if you've got the cash and no inhibitions on spending it, go for it, it's your money, and we only live once.

swamptrashstompboxes":9fh1550l said:
braintheory":9fh1550l said:
For 2k or under used there’s lots of options that I think are better than getting a Friedman. You may be able to find a non-eq Mark iic+, Diezel VH2, Engl Special Edition, Engl Inferno

My favorite amps under 2k (also under 1.5k) are an old jmp2203 and a good Mark III. I don’t see any Friedman being anywhere near as inspiring to play as those, although I’m still curious about their new Jake E Lee model, which seems to be a more Marshall-y flavor

Also, for non-high gain stuff, the old Ampeg Gemini II from the 60’s is one of the very best amps I’ve ever played if your looking for a warm clean tone. I paid $380 and they typically go for $5-700. You can see in my sig the amps I have and this Ampeg would be in my top 7. For cleans I play it more than my ‘64 Vibroverb that I literally paid 10x as much for. The Vibroverb is also among the very best clean amps ever and the best black face amp imo, but I still like my Ampeg, that was 1/10 the price, a little more. I don’t use it for much else really, but for cleans it’s really something special

I get you on the mkiii. I will snag a local one if it pops up at the right time. I have had plans of such for a while. If I were to get a JMP2203, at the right price I would totally go for it. But half of the the JMP/JCM 2203/4 I see have been molested. I have been putting that bandmaster back to stock slowly for a while now. Somebody really messed that one up. It's a fun game though, but I am far more confident and experienced with fender BF/SF amps than I am Marshall. And also, the molested bandmaster cost me $400 and I was aware of some issues. Finding a unmolested JMP for under $1500 I have not found easy. Or guys do not want to pull the chassis and show me the guts, which is understandable,but I am not going to drop that kind of cash to mod it back. I would be pissed to spend the big coin on a JMP and crack it open and have to fix some idiots work. I am not a pro, but my work is better than most band aid amps I snag.

I would go for a Gower mod or even Monomyth mid over a BE100, 100% of the time, but again, the BE100's move stupid easy.
The JMP I got recently for $1440 (after shipping and taxes) was technically modded/molested/whatever you wanna call it in the past, but sounds like you’d expect a stock jmp2203 to sound like and honestly better sounding than almost anything else I’ve owned for my taste

I’ve owned 2 Gowers in the past (Rockmonster and Killer Kali ++). I agree they sound better than all the Friedman’s I’ve owned or tried (which is all of them basically) be it their production amps or modded Marshall’s, but I think a stock jmp boosted smokes the Gower’s I had and I also preferred the Hopkins modded Marshall JMP2203 I had over either Gower and he charges like half the price for his mods I believe as does Monomyth I think, so I’d go with one of those guys instead if I were you

I do have to admit though all my Friedman’s were very easy and fast sells for me. I actually made a little money on all the ones I had, but I was also lucky with timing since I got them when they were new models with good hype still around them

IMO Friedman, Fortin, and Soldano are all stupidly overrated. They do all sound good, but there’s better stuff out there imo. That being said I’m still curious to try the new stuff they had at namm, especially the Jake E Lee and Evil Pumpkin amp, but I still don’t expect them to change my mind about anything

I'm with you in this. My handbuilt 2 Channel Jose style amp cost me 2350€ IIRC and i see that being a very reasonable price, but i.e Soldanos going for 4-5k, wtf..

So yeah, considering the fact that Friedman, Soldano etc. are mass-produced even tho in USA and even then they're going for 4-5k new is just crazy. I guess that's just business and people are buying them so..

Edit: Almost forgot, thank god there's a company like Ceriatone. Need a cheap Jose style amp? Get SoY for fucking 500-600 bucks and you're set.

NeubyWanKaneuby":3tfuw28m said:
This is why I bought an Axe FX and sold all my tube amps. Now I just chase tones in one box. It's saved me a lot of money.

Speaking of which, since I moved a few months ago I’ve been slowly putting all my shit back together. Last night I got my AxeFx III connected up and downloaded the latest 11.x firmware (was on 5.x) and HOLY SHIT, it sounds so good. I mean really damn good. I was blown away. Sat there for hours and didn’t feel like it was very long at all, first time I’ve done that in a while. Cranking it all day too. But still fun chasing amps and pedals, haha

Yep $2k is about my limit on amps--Never thought I would get one but scored a used Metropoulos Metro-Plex and it is by far the best sounding amp Ive ever had and hopefully my last amp.

Here's what I have into my current heads:

Marshall DSL50 - $400, includes OT and choke upgrade.
Marshall 1987xl - $850, bone stock.
1979 Marshall 2203 - $1500, bone stock.
1969 1959SLP clone - $1300, includes Merren iron.

I love these amps more than all others and will never part with them. I just can't see ever needing anything else other than more of the same for backup.

I got my old SLO for $1200 and it was near new. Deal are out there, just gotta be a good shopper and be ready to pounce when the right deal comes along.

It's all relative. For many players their amp is just a tool and they own only 1 or 2 amps. I like guitar amps and like having more than one flavor. I don't need a bunch of options. Once I dial it in I don't use most of them anyway. So most of the super expensive amps don't really suit my needs.

However, it's not easy to succeed in that business. Having built a number of amps, no way would I pursue that as a career/business unless I could make good money. Which means charging a premium. I don't fault them a bit.

alan67":w5p8urkg said:
Mailman1971":w5p8urkg said:
Everything is replaceable. I’ve owned over 50 amps. I buy sell em. Rebuy em. :LOL: :LOL:

What'd ya get? I've been looking for a standup Tempest game....would spend hours playing that in the arcade back in the day.
Yeah. 1500 games in one. And it’s in a old a Tempest arcade machine!

Attachments

• 4EC196BE-510B-40AD-8EC8-C04D043EB41C.jpeg
    4EC196BE-510B-40AD-8EC8-C04D043EB41C.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 1,103
Im getting more into spending money on lessons and hopefully a guitar here and there over amps. I will be satisfied after getting my 2204 modded and having my KSR. I dont want to be a guy who is rotating expensive gear that plays like shit and sounds the same on everything(which is where I am now). Im hoping to get a second cab then a Mayones at the end of the year but I made a promise to myself to earn it by learning to play better so now Im taking twice a month lessons. Next time I start itching for a new amp Im just going to add another week a month to my lesson schedule. I know I will see more improvement than more expensive amps.

Mailman1971":8kaq35qs said:
alan67":8kaq35qs said:
Mailman1971":8kaq35qs said:

Yeah. 1500 games in one. And it’s in a old a Tempest arcade machine!
This makes me want to hit the local arcade hall here one day. :rock:

I Heard an interview from one of rats producers, talked about kn tour watten demartini went to every store he could and bought heads and cabs. He had around 20 half stacks and he spent a few studio days going through them all. On the second day, the producer had his tech sneak in his old amp from the first album into the rotation of heads... in the end, he unknowingly picked his old amp as the best one..

I love having variety and playing a different amp when I want. I still LOVE a new amp day... but it seems sometimes simpler is better. I've had a ton of amps.. and still have a bunch, but most of the time in practice or live, I play my dsl 50 or 2204 with some pedals and I've never been happier...

I love amps... Ive had the same guitars for years no problem... but in the past if I really wanted an amp I would pay 2400 to 2600 max. So glad my amp buying days are over! it was anxiety provoking at times

New Amp pricing is puzzling , look at the cost of a new SLO in 2010 vs today. Somewhere around 4k I believe and it's still close to that today. Lots of other builders have produced amps in that price range. The value tho, does it hold, seems 5 years ago a BE100 was the AMP, now it's less than 2k used and trying to keep up with the latest and greatest isnt happening for me, with any of these builders. As mentioned it's an extreme challange to try and survive in that business. Hard to justify spending 4k or right at it when a good pedal will get you so close with a good Marshall. The JEL seems to be getting tons of love and everyone wants one. To me it sounds like an 800 or extremely similar, so buy 2 800s and a new guitar and have more gear and lunch! It's all about more gear!! Guitars seem to hold value a bit more no? Cost is getting up there on those as well so if one is 4k today is it 2k used in 5 years? Hard to say depends on the cost of new in 5 years. The way it's going it may be 7k for a new guitar and used will be 3k. Amps, will just be a newer model that year or AXE effects 9 xl ++ turbo. Would love own every Friedman / Fortin Amp made , wont ever happen on my salary. We are lucky to have such great modded amps from Monomyth , Hopkins, Gower..etc as an option under 3799.99 or higher. Some good amps for around 25hundo or so, To me it's worth it to maybe find used. When the production slows maybe the used market doesnt dip so low on used. Great Thread!!! Just MO of course,

If you want THAT tone, then we will sometimes pay too much for it. But, we HAVE TO HAVE IT. Right? At this point of my GAS I've played/tried near everything I've wanted to. Amps are my thing way more than guitars. I'm happy with a USA Charvel, Hamer, etc and all have cost me less than 1K. I love a good Marshall tone, and even though a Wizard is undeniably the BEAST of Marshall type amps I'm just fine with a Vintage JCM/JMP single channel(honorable mention to the 2205/10) and a pedal. Or modded..I have a Monomyth 2204 and it gives me a tone/feel I've not had before in any modded Marshall. I've owned over 20 from all the big names.
As cool as Mark IIIs are, a C+ IS that much better to my ears. Others, not so much and wonder "what's the big deal?" Owing something that is rare and has killer tone is a cool feeling. The C+ Coliseum is an amp where less than 100 were made. I own one. But it's more about the tone than the rarity of it. I happen to think the C+ is MILES better in every way than either III I owned, or IV, or 2B....and having it in a 180w package is pretty cool. It's like owning a Vette or Porsche...you can't open it up often but when you do, oh what a rush...

Great tone, feel, and thump all in one package is what I want in an amp. For my money the best bang for the buck out there is just a plain ole used vintage Marshall. JCM 800 and earlier. For 2K tops(usually) you can have THAT tone with the vintage transformers that no Splawn, Friedman etc can match.

This year or next year I plan to snag a BE100 for $2k if all goes as planned. As stated I can buy yesterday's hot ticket for half the price used today.

I don't forsee needing too many more amps tbh.

I do want to build a 2203/2204 down the line. I can't justify spending what a used JCM800 costs now and get one that has been molested ten times. I would not mod it though tbh, I would want it original and true. I have the modded Marshall flavor covered. Especially if I were to snag the BE100.

As of late I am in love with my Ktre and K100 for a lot of things. They are damn cheap for what you get

Back