What is an amp worth to you?

skullfxr

I see most new amps coming out in the $3k+ some near $5k FFS. I realize that people have the right to choose where they want their cash to go. Personally I am far from rich. I am lucky if I pull in $80k and am a single dad. I cannot justify what these amps are going for. $4k for a Friedman 'flavor of the week' I could never justify that. I will wait until three new ones come out and hopefully someday land a BE-100 for $2k on the used market. Fortin is crazy. As much as I like how they sound its just not attainable for me.

Here is what I got for $4k throughout time.

Splawn Promod - $950
Splawn Nitro (KT88) $1100
Fryette sigx $1000 ish.
Mesa Tremoverb head (with extra glass) under $700.

I realize that everybody has their right to allocate their own funds, but I have a helluva lot of fun on those amps. I have played a BE-100, I would love to own one one of Dave's newer amps but will wait and get one used someday God willing. Lol. I have a solid rig there for under $4k. I enjoy those four amps more than I would a BE 100 dlx.

I would get a Gower modded Marshall or a SRT modded plexi over a BE 100dlx for half the price. Personally they sound better to me and the money goes farther for me.

Then you have Fortin. Limited runs on everything. Attainable for few if you can get on the list. Etc.

I am ranting a little bit. I am not trying to down Dave Friedman or Mike Fortin. Or anybody. And I am not trying to tell anyone how to spend their money or look down on anyone for their choices. If you can fund it, go for it. That is totally cool. I will be the eternal budget buying guy and that's me. I feel like I get more for my money that way just being real.

Again this is a rant of opinion. I respect all opinions and will not slander anyone for what they choose to spend their money on and would hope you all can do the same thing.

In the next year, my goal is to snag a used Friedman for $2k. It will be a tight fit, but I hope it works. I dig them.

This is all IMO, YMMV, FML, ETC.

If you find the "one", it's done! I've owned a lot of amps, some I wish I still had but the Boogie I have now is a head turner to anyone who hears it. I'll still try others if the chance comes along,... nuff said.

Markedman":2oqb3xgs said:
If you find the "one", it's done! I've owned a lot of amps, some I wish I still had but the Boogie I have now is a head turner to anyone who hears it. I'll still try others if the chance comes along,... nuff said.

Totally understand. For me there is no one, it's a flavor of the day for me. I realize that I have a lot of stuff, but inspiration strikes on me through different rigs. I go through different amps all the time.

Most new amps aren't $3K plus. Most new amps that get a lot of discussion on a gear forum are $3K plus.

No right or wrong here, just reality of what people like to discuss. Do you join a community to discuss a European aspirational sport car, or talk about the Honda daily driver to work?

In terms of what an amp is worth to me...well, despite this being rig-talk and yes, I've owned a number of those expensive amps, I'm really more of a guitar guy. There's no $3K+ amp that's ever been a keeper for me in the long run, I can get all the tones I want in a much cheaper package and would rather put my money towards guitars. Just personal preference.

Rock Bodom":r69tpeq8 said:
Most new amps aren't $3K plus. Most new amps that get a lot of discussion on a gear forum are $3K plus.

No right or wrong here, just reality of what people like to discuss. Do you join a community to discuss a European aspirational sport car, or talk about the Honda daily driver to work?

In terms of what an amp is worth to me...well, despite this being rig-talk and yes, I've owned a number of those expensive amps, I'm really more of a guitar guy. There's no $3K+ amp that's ever been a keeper for me in the long run, I can get all the tones I want in a much cheaper package and would rather put my money towards guitars. Just personal preference.

I totally understand. I left other forums for vanilla flavors of common stuff. I totally understand these amps are not the average Joe, but for me they would be a step higher in budget. I don't want to hear about black stars and peavey vypyrs and shit. I got sick of it after a long time.

I understand the costs of parts and manufacturing too. BUT the dollar for hype is a little silly. $1800 NEW lands you a hand assembled Splawn with great componts and solid IRON, made in the USA. Friedman? $4k. Fortin? $5k.

I love what I have and it does "it" for me. But I gotta be honest, I DO want to snag a used Friedman when I have the cash.

This was a rant and really nothing more and seeing what others think.

First things first.... You need to get rid of the your signature under your posts. It's not 2005 and nobody lists all that stuff anymore.

Metlupass2":1p1pib0t said:
First things first.... You need to get rid of the your signature under your posts. It's not 2005 and nobody lists all that stuff anymore.

Another thing though is that then I don't know what you have to reference if it's not in your sig. Are you a budget scrapper like me, or have a killer high buck amp section like menhensen42? Or are you an axe or Kemper guy? Knowing what you use adds substance to your post so someone can relate or if they see what you have, they can ask a question.

Buying used is the best way to save. Both of the more expensive amps that I got over the past 5 years were both used and I saved a lot from new. Pretty much the same with guitars as well that in that upper range.

Metlupass2":vgttuonm said:
Huh? What? Are you kidding me?

Markedman":1sf1gvsi said:
If you find the "one", it's done! I've owned a lot of amps, some I wish I still had but the Boogie I have now is a head turner to anyone who hears it.
Humm . . . I might be anyone who would be interested in this group. My wife says things to me too all the time about how everyone does it ;) and I should be more considerate for everybody. :) Yah, sure love, whatever you say is always right! :D Gotta always negotiate with the little lady, right? :rock: Hello Diezel's . . . see how that works.

PBGas":340up8c4 said:
Buying used is the best way to save. Both of the more expensive amps that I got over the past 5 years were both used and I saved a lot from new. Pretty much the same with guitars as well that in that upper range.

That's me too. If you wait a few years, and buy smart, you will spend half the cash. That's what I do.

Then also if you buy smart and don't like it and you don't lose a shit ton of money.

LP Freak":1so408xo said:
Metlupass2":1so408xo said:
Huh? What? Are you kidding me?

Exactly. WTF.

I trimmed some off as it was longer than I realized when I was on my cell.

For 2k or under used there’s lots of options that I think are better than getting a Friedman. You may be able to find a non-eq Mark iic+, Diezel VH2, Engl Special Edition, Engl Inferno

My favorite amps under 2k (also under 1.5k) are an old jmp2203 and a good Mark III. I don’t see any Friedman being anywhere near as inspiring to play as those, although I’m still curious about their new Jake E Lee model, which seems to be a more Marshall-y flavor

Also, for non-high gain stuff, the old Ampeg Gemini II from the 60’s is one of the very best amps I’ve ever played if your looking for a warm clean tone. I paid $380 and they typically go for $5-700. You can see in my sig the amps I have and this Ampeg would be in my top 7. For cleans I play it more than my ‘64 Vibroverb that I literally paid 10x as much for. The Vibroverb is also among the very best clean amps ever and the best black face amp imo, but I still like my Ampeg, that was 1/10 the price, a little more. I don’t use it for much else really, but for cleans it’s really something special

Everything is replaceable. I’ve owned over 50 amps. I buy sell em. Rebuy em. :LOL: :LOL:
Just sold one of my favorite amps to buy an arcade game. Well worth it. :yes:
It’s just material things.

This is a good post, I think if you find a keeper the difference between 1k-3k is really peanuts in comparison, the material costs alone to build a quality amp( not including labor ) is on the lower end of that number as well

Monomyth":1liptlts said:
This is a good post, I think if you find a keeper the difference between 1k-3k is really peanuts in comparison, the material costs alone to build a quality amp( not including labor ) is on the lower end of that number as well

I dig your work Monomyth. Good stuff, good reputation, and good tone.

I agree that it's all expensive but the modding business is solid IMO.

Back