NAD- Mark IV

Beyond Black

Mark IVB with footswitch. Scored this locally for $1000! Not quite mint, but a strong excellent condition.
Been watching a lot of YouTube videos and taking notes, so I’m semi familiar with how to set it up. Played it all day yesterday and got some MONSTER high gain tones. I’m blown away by this amp. Don’t know what took me so long to get one. I’m not a Recto guy, and never knew much about the old Marks, so I never paid too much attention to Mesa. Well, the recent Mark IV love and clips around here made me take notice, so I watched every YT vid I could find and did some research, and the GAS fire was lit. Man am I glad I bought this amp. It’s a palm muting, chugging, triplet picking players wet dream. I hate post AJFA Metallica, but still love the MOP and Justice tones, and they’re in there. It’s got amazing rhythm AND lead tone, feel, and it’s quiet! It came with a pair of Mesa 440’s and a pair of JJ E34L’s. Pre’s are a mix of JJ, Phillips and GT. I swapped out the E34L’s for JJ 6L6’s and JJ KT77’s to see which I prefer, and I like it best with a quad of 6L6’s. They definitely sound the biggest, baddest, and tightest, with the most low mid grunt. I think the E34L’s were too loose on the lows with more upper mids than I necessarily want with this amp. The KT77’s were better than the 34’s, but still not as focused and menacing sounding as the 6L6’s. This amp also sounds great through both my cabs with Greenbacks and G12-65’s. Both together are massive. Thanks to all the RT dudes for their clips and posts that have recently opened my eyes to this great amp. I haven’t been blown away buy an amp like this since my Monomyth in December, and years before that one.

Nice! Try a Mark iii next. I have a iii and a IV and love them equally.

stephen sawall":3g8yyrt1 said:
The IV is my favorite Mark. Congratulations
Thank you, sir! I’m seriously blown away by this amp. It is so fucking fun and inspiring to play heavy riffs through. I haven’t had this much fun playing guitar in a long time. I’ve always been a Marshall guy, so this Mesa is new to me and I’m having a blast. :rock:

tstern66":3n72t78w said:
I can see myself doing that. I’ve heard some clips, so I’m semi familiar with their tone, but how would you compare it to the IV? Do they have as much gain?

Beyond Black":g03ibp7c said:
tstern66":g03ibp7c said:
I can see myself doing that. I’ve heard some clips, so I’m semi familiar with their tone, but how would you compare it to the IV? Do they have as much gain?

More raw and aggressive. I want a mkiii too. I have been eyeing one for a bit.

Beyond Black":fpcphhry said:
tstern66":fpcphhry said:

The iii is vicious. I feel it has more gain than the IV. The iii has a little bit of a different feel too. It’s more bouncy compared to the stiffer IV.

Congrats! I saw the XXXII and had flash backs... :LOL: :LOL: That's one amp I just couldn't jive with...even after 2 years. The Dmoll was another amp I couldn't stand.

swamptrashstompboxes":16q9ezdk said:
Beyond Black":16q9ezdk said:
tstern66":16q9ezdk said:

More raw and aggressive. I want a mkiii too. I have been eyeing one for a bit.
Dude the prices are insane these days! A head used to be under a grand all day long. Now they’re like $1300 and up! :doh:

MetalHeadMike":1sk6u1df said:
Congrats! I saw the XXXII and had flash backs... :LOL: :LOL: That's one amp I just couldn't jive with...even after 2 years. The Dmoll was another amp I couldn't stand.
Thanks, brotha! :rock: I remember you saying that you didn’t dig the XXXII. Something in the mids that you hated if I remember correctly. :D I actually love that amp. I put KT77’s in it and changed a few pre amp tubes per Napalmdeath’s recommendation and it fuckin rips. Sounds huge with rippin mids. Probably 4 years ago I saw Havok using these live and their tone was positively sick. The next day I scored this one on Reverb for $425, and I’m glad I did.

Im so freaking jealous. I've been wanting one for the past couple years. I was trying to put one on layaway at guitar center. Now it's gone. They are getting harder to find lately.

Yeah, I had a Mark III for years. It has a little bit more of the modded Marshall sound infused into the Mark tone than the Mark IV. It has more aggressive upper mids, where the Mark IV is more hi-fi in general.

Love my XXX also. :D

Back