There is something growing in my basement

Main board done except for the bias supply wires from the PT. Getting close.

I have a 47pF bright cap on the Bright Volume (always ON) and then a 300pF on the switch. Decided to try that instead of the .0047uF. The way I use it that usually works way better.

20200705-172158.jpg

Running Merren in both the Power and Output transformers?

I purchased a Merren C1998 clone but in the end I kept the Metro Dagnall C1998 in the amp and sold the Merren. In the 69 in the clip above I was running an M6 lamination Classic tone Power transformer and a Metro Dagnall C1998.

SpiderWars":3do295o2 said:
Elevated yes, no dc tho.

And look what was on my porch when I arose from the dungeon:

20200705-174731.jpg

:rock:

Nice! Mind if I ask when you ordered? Got two OTs from him I'm waiting on and since he ignored my emails about an ETA figuring out some kind of ballpark on how long he's taking would be useful :LOL: :LOL:

I just finished an amp for beyond black using the Larry ground scheme with the exception of the heater ct which is elevated at the screens, this is the quietest I’ve been able to get an amp with the zero loss loop and probably why Larry quit his day job in 1991.

glpg80":2ubcsis8 said:
Hell I feel bad. I chatted up Chris about his engineering background for a few hours as he and I have a similar career path and interests. We were talking for ages and no I didn’t order anything lol

Chris is pretty cool. I use to go to his parents house up in north
Jersey. Played his plexi through original pin stripe cabs. This was like 20+ years ago. :thumbsup:

harddriver":395ysahb said:

I purchased a Merren C1998 clone but in the end I kept the Metro Dagnall C1998 in the amp and sold the Merren. In the 69 in the clip above I was running an M6 lamination Classic tone Power transformer and a Metro Dagnall C1998.
I wasn't sure which way to go and contacted Sergio at MM and Chris. Even tho I know the approx cost I still get sticker shock at MM prices. $300 vs $200 from Chris, easy decision.

technomancer":395ysahb said:
Nice! Mind if I ask when you ordered? Got two OTs from him I'm waiting on and since he ignored my emails about an ETA figuring out some kind of ballpark on how long he's taking would be useful :LOL: :LOL:
Sorry I typed a response earlier but I guess I never submitted. Late May is when I started ordering everything.

Monomyth":395ysahb said:
I just finished an amp for beyond black using the Larry ground scheme with the exception of the heater ct which is elevated at the screens, this is the quietest I’ve been able to get an amp with the zero loss loop and probably why Larry quit his day job in 1991.
:LOL: :LOL: My Black Sun was spooky quiet. I'm hoping my compromises will be fine.

psychodave":yaanntrn said:
glpg80":yaanntrn said:
Hell I feel bad. I chatted up Chris about his engineering background for a few hours as he and I have a similar career path and interests. We were talking for ages and no I didn’t order anything lol

Chris is pretty cool. I use to go to his parents house up in north
Jersey. Played his plexi through original pin stripe cabs. This was like 20+ years ago. :thumbsup:

That’s pretty cool to know him on a more personal level.

I’d love to know more about his amp collection. I’m sure he has some real nice Marshall’s. Him and Jim at Scumback both to be honest.

OP, what chassis stand are you using to support the chassis since you don’t have iron installed? Can you tilt it? I’m in need of one.

I’m hoping after this build is over, to then get my hands on a 1959 reissue and use it for gain tuning/mods since it’s PTP. My current one is PCB and you can’t get away with too many changes before running the risk of lifting a trace.

Cheers,
-Matt

glpg80":13xp5lt9 said:
OP, what chassis stand are you using to support the chassis since you don’t have iron installed? Can you tilt it? I’m in need of one.
I'm using some enormous old filter caps from a BGW amp I repaired for a band I was in. Not ideal, I need one too.

SpiderWars":2w1fos3d said:
harddriver":2w1fos3d said:

I wasn't sure which way to go and contacted Sergio at MM and Chris. Even tho I know the approx cost I still get sticker shock at MM prices. $300 vs $200 from Chris, easy decision.

technomancer":2w1fos3d said:
Sorry I typed a response earlier but I guess I never submitted. Late May is when I started ordering everything.

Monomyth":2w1fos3d said:
:LOL: :LOL: My Black Sun was spooky quiet. I'm hoping my compromises will be fine.

Thanks! Might end up grabbing something else for one of these as I it's only been six weeks so I will probably be ready to get rolling on the new builds before August lol

This is looking great, can't wait to see it wrapped up!

Haha, by the title thought you were growing pot.

Nice plexi build. I built several of these, if you find you're not getting the sound to wan't try regular 470pf ceramics on the peaker, and treble cap. But honestly one I built for a guy, he wanted it bit darker/smoother so I put ~300pf ceramic in those positions, he loved it,, and sounded great to me.c

People put modern silver mica in these, and it does not sound right. Ceramic will get you closer a vintage sound.

Also why the metal film on the plate load resisters? Noise reduction? Not being a high gain, not sure you'll benefit. If you feel it's too sterile, at least try carbon film there.

Mostly done. My wall voltage is 125vac today and at idle B+ is ~470vdc. All other voltages seem nominal. Just need to reduce the heater CT node voltage and cut/place a piece of flashing in the cab. I only played for a few minutes just to see if it made sound and operated correctly. It is clean until very loud and I stopped there. It sounded great but my back is killing me from slouching over this thing. I need a break.

20200712-174036.jpg

One of these days I will post some clips, I am almost never home these days. It sounds tremendous.

20200718-191045.jpg

20200718-191420.jpg

Just got the Mini Rockrec yesterday.
20200718-191552.jpg

I'd really like to find a "Jimmy Page - Golden Dragon" type of emblem for it. :rock:

Wow what an amazing finished product. Looks great and I can’t imagine how it sounds.

What do you use for bias? I’m going down the road of pausing my project to build my own bench bias tool.

What do the feet look like on the headcab?

Thanks! I have 1 ohm resistors on each socket (the little blue ones in the full frontal pic above). I have it set at 42-44mV (or mA) per cathode and each tube has about 6mA screen current. Plate voltage was at 464vdc. Feet are large round rubber feet.

Looking good! I see you got the Rivera, how do you like it? I like the color coordination with the Rivera and the Purple headbox.

I picked the load box up on my way home late Friday and haven't even tried it yet. I hope to get to it today.

I hadn't played it cranked until today and it's a ghosty machine as-built. I'm going to try a 100ux100u in the PI spot (one side for Heater CT node) instead of the 32ux32u. If necessary I'll double up the mains filters.

EDIT: Wow the 100x100u filter didn't completely cure the ghost notes but it def sounds way better when cranked.

I'm surprised that 100uf in the PI didn't clear up the ghosting. I'm running a 50/50uf can for 100uf in the PI in my 68 and it doesn't ghost at least it's not very noticeable.

So it that Rivera an attenuator or just a load box for tapping a DI line out?

Back