Electrical guys, need advice about footswitch repair

JakeAC5253

I'm not new to switches or switch wiring 'theory', but I'm having a bit of trouble diagnosing a very old footswitch for an amp of mine because I'm not really sure what each switch is supposed to do. The wiring is very old and rusty and there are some disconnected wires. I think that I am handy enough that if I understand what each switch is supposed to do I can buy new parts and re-wire from scratch, but therein lies the problem.

Inside is a stereo input jack and what looks to be two SPDT switches and a single LED. The amp is a... well there's been some dispute about this or so I can gather, but it's one of three makers. Either Genz Benz, B.K. Butler, or Tube Works and the amp name is Tube Driver TD-752-ES.

Honestly I'm not really sure what to ask or how to phrase a question lol :LOL: :LOL: If you need more info, ask, I'll be around :rock:

[No message]

Attachments

• IMG_5073.JPG
    IMG_5073.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 953
  • IMG_5074.JPG
    IMG_5074.JPG
    421.8 KB · Views: 950
  • IMG_5075.JPG
    IMG_5075.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 961
  • IMG_5076.JPG
    IMG_5076.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 956
  • IMG_5077.JPG
    IMG_5077.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 952
The switch connected to the LED has a cloth covered wire connecting what I believe to be the throws of the switch, which according to my knowledge of switches, negates its effectiveness as a switch...

Motorpud":15a3w2ma said:
What onboard switches or function does it have? :confused: Does it have reverb? FX loop?

It's got a channel switch (which is shoddy as well, contacted BK Butler, no response) it's got a switch which blends both channels in parallel, FX loop, and a reverb knob. Now that you mention it, I do think I remember reading in the online PDF that the reverb is supposed to be foot switchable.

i believe the relay cases are always hot - giving power to what seems to be red lighting letting you know there is juice.

the far right switch upside down seems to switch power on/off seperately from the rest of the functions. switch on the right is connecting an input on the far left of the plug (possibly a ground) to a hot connection.

the center switch with the indicator seems to be missing a wire going to the plug, but basically off is when the indicator ground is lifted, on is when the indicator ground is closed. it should operate NO - both relays seem to be NO.

thats what i believe from what i see, but the wiring is so shotty and theres alot of WTF connections there that i think its highly possible someone who did not know what they were doing got ahold of it - which would make it impossible to reverse engineer without a schematic and the datasheet's for the relays.

thats all i got Jake.

JakeAC5253":2horz3a4 said:
Motorpud":2horz3a4 said:
What onboard switches or function does it have? :confused: Does it have reverb? FX loop?

It's got a channel switch (which is shoddy as well, contacted BK Butler, no response) it's got a switch which blends both channels in parallel, FX loop, and a reverb knob. Now that you mention it, I do think I remember reading in the online PDF that the reverb is supposed to be foot switchable.

That could you answer right there, one for the channels and one for the reverb :thumbsup:

glpg80":2mbub4jr said:
thats what i believe from what i see, but the wiring is so shotty and theres alot of WTF connections there that i think its highly possible someone who did not know what they were doing got ahold of it - which would make it impossible to reverse engineer without a schematic and the datasheet's for the relays.

I was kind of hoping that someone else thought the same :LOL: :LOL: I bought the amp second-hand off a friend of mine whom, god bless him he's a great guy, doesn't seem to know jack about electronics. Now there's no problem with that, but he does try to mess with stuff he owns... a lot. I've had to completely re-wire a few of his guitars for him from the ground up. Eh, I don't complain. Keeps me busy.

Motorpud":3lqwhive said:
JakeAC5253":3lqwhive said:
Motorpud":3lqwhive said:

That could you answer right there, one for the channels and one for the reverb :thumbsup:

Awesome :thumbsup:

Now, does this mean to get functionality out of both switches I need to use a stereo/TRS cable from footswitch to amp? I guess I'll just wire the LED to whichever switch I want it to be lit for. For the switches, do I need to buy a certain voltage or current rating and how would I know?

JakeAC5253":14h2le5p said:
Motorpud":14h2le5p said:
JakeAC5253":14h2le5p said:
Motorpud":14h2le5p said:

Awesome :thumbsup:

Now, does this mean to get functionality out of both switches I need to use a stereo/TRS cable from footswitch to amp? I guess I'll just wire the LED to whichever switch I want it to be lit for. For the switches, do I need to buy a certain voltage or current rating and how would I know?

You sure the switches are bad or could it just be the wiring? I'd just take a meter and put it on the beep setting and push the button and see if it switched on and off :dunno: If you already did that then don't listen to me :LOL: :LOL: I'll look for a link of some switches. Oh and I think you would have to have a stereo cable to operate both, is there a footswitch and reverb jack on the amp or just one jack for the footswitch?

EDIT: if they're SPDT then these will probably work. Might be able to find other ones cheaper but :dunno:

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/modules.p ... ts_id=1684

Found this in the manual....

FOOTSWITCH — Stereo-type jack which switches both Channel and Reverb. Tip of the jack is Reverb; ring is Channel.

Note: Electronic and MIDI switchers - Channel switch is VC positive to ground. Reverb is simple shorting.

Motorpud":14rv4881 said:
Found this in the manual....

FOOTSWITCH — Stereo-type jack which switches both Channel and Reverb. Tip of the jack is Reverb; ring is Channel.

Note: Electronic and MIDI switchers - Channel switch is VC positive to ground. Reverb is simple shorting.

Knowing this, I drew up a quick diagram because I'm more of a visual guy when it comes to this stuff. Let me know how far off I am and what needs to be changed. I wired the LED so it lights for one channel switch position only.

Attachments

• Footswitch Wiring.jpg
    Footswitch Wiring.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 920
Hey,
soz for gravedigging first

I am making that switch, but i'm getting problems on leds.
the wiring that was posted by Jake it's correct, and it's working both with channel swich and reverb on/off
but i can't add leds, i tried in different ways but, or the signal is getting lower, ( if i connect the led to the sleeve ) or the switch is not working ( and neither the led )

1-someone have a idea how i could make it work with leds ?
2-it's important the colour of the led, or i can use, for example, a white or blue led without problems ? i actually don't know the voltage inside this switch :\ i assume that using a 1 K resistor before the red/green/yellow led is fine

the original pedal has got the leds ( green and red ) but i'm unsure if its working with SPDT or what ever.

i'm really ingnorant and maybe the question is silly but i guess that's the reason whereby forum like that exist
soz for bad eng too

tnx

Back