Jose, Cameron, Friedman kind of thing

CornNutz

Well my sacrificial plexi offering up it's blood again. Actually something I started a while ago that I didn't have time to dick with, but now here we are.

It's kind of a Cameron Jose mod, meets early BE100, with some of my own twists. Not finished yet, still alligator clipping stuff in/out but have a listen.

Recorded with Tascam DR-05

Recorder at my standing ear level. Sorry for the string sounds
https://soundcloud.com/user-864489142/dr0000_0027mp3

Recorder pointed at middle of cab 2-3 feet away
https://soundcloud.com/user-864489142/dr0000_0024mp3

And for those who like it darker, this is without the bright caps clipped in
https://soundcloud.com/user-864489142/dr0000_0021mp3

Here's a pexi/vintage sound. Probably too much gain still, didn't have time to dial in it.
https://soundcloud.com/user-864489142/dr0000_0026mp3

Attachments

• 20200424_112317.jpg
    20200424_112317.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 931
It’s got a distinctive rasp thing going on. Definitely a Marshall meets modern take. Unique and aggressive - sounds good.

Agreed, this is the perfect time for Marshall amp tweaking.

Really cool of you to share the scheme!
Thanks man :rock: :rock: :rock:
I'm intrigued by that clipping deal you have going on. Never would have thought to do that, so much appreciated.
These circuits are really hit and miss. A tweak here and a tweak there and it goes from sounding like a cheap fuzz box to totally awesome.
I get it now why Mark Cameron tuned every amp by ear. It's f'n mandatory if you are gonna do a Jose circuit. Too many variables to have a cookie cutter approach.

fusedbrain":1clt0aqz said:
I'm intrigued by that clipping deal you have going on. Never would have thought to do that, so much appreciated.
These circuits are really hit and miss. A tweak here and a tweak there and it goes from sounding like a cheap fuzz box to totally awesome.
I get it now why Mark Cameron tuned every amp by ear. It's f'n mandatory if you are gonna do a Jose circuit. Too many variables to have a cookie cutter approach.

No problem. I have 0 desire to keep secrets, I've learned from people sharing over the years, it's my duty to give back.

Yeah, I think that clipping method sounds nice. I might add Daves simple clean to this.

CNutz":374btkuw said:
fusedbrain":374btkuw said:

No problem. I have 0 desire to keep secrets, I've learned from people sharing over the years, it's my duty to give back.

Yeah, I think that clipping method sounds nice. I might add Daves simple clean to this.

Amps sound just aggresive enough, NICE! IS there a relay switch involved with the simple clean circuit addition?

harddriver":33d2j6ku said:
CNutz":33d2j6ku said:
fusedbrain":33d2j6ku said:

Amps sound just aggresive enough, NICE! IS there a relay switch involved with the simple clean circuit addition?

Thanks. Yes a single dpdt relay for simple clean

CNutz":36nbyjca said:
Schematico

Sounds cool.

I like 1.0 cathode caps on V1

Try some 47pf snubbers at the 330k and 100k plate resistors on V1. It will remove some of the upper high end. Friedman uses 500pf which IMO makes the high end wonky.

Pi coupling caps. Try .1uf. You could just put them on top of the .022’s. This will thicken it up a bit and might make it feel better.

Depth, try anything between .002 and .0068. I tend to like .004. Use ceramic caps. There is a big tonal change between cap types and even brands.

Sounds great. Looks like you went for lower screen filtering but higher PI filtering. Is there a reason for that?

SpiderWars":1r1t8kwa said:
Sounds great. Looks like you went for lower screen filtering but higher PI filtering. Is there a reason for that?

Thanks!

The filtering is like the early BE100, and I have always been a fan of the way that feels so that's why I went with it.

psychodave":1tixnakf said:
CNutz":1tixnakf said:
Schematico

Sounds cool.

I like 1.0 cathode caps on V1

Try some 47pf snubbers at the 330k and 100k plate resistors on V1. It will remove some of the upper high end. Friedman uses 500pf which IMO makes the high end wonky.

Pi coupling caps. Try .1uf. You could just put them on top of the .022’s. This will thicken it up a bit and might make it feel better.

Depth, try anything between .002 and .0068. I tend to like .004. Use ceramic caps. There is a big tonal change between cap types and even brands.

I played with 1uf cap's on the cathode bypass spots, and they do sound good. The slight clarity advantage of the .68uf's is why I stuck with them.

I might play with some snubbers at the plates. I did do Daves 500fp with 220k+100k, but did not like it.

PI coupling, I tried .1uf, and it got flubby. Now that being said I have identified a spot where flub is happening earlier in the pre, so when I work that out I might try .1uf on the PI again.

Yup I got ceramics in the depth!

I tend to make both V1A and B coupling caps .002. Sometimes I make one .022 and the other .002. As you already know, it’s the sum of the parts. I’ve had some amps come out incredible and others wouldn’t sound good no matter what I tried. I honestly think my JCA20 has been the best sounding and feeling amp I’ve modded. I posted pics of it in the main forum.

psychodave":1e7drrne said:
I tend to make both V1A and B coupling caps .002. Sometimes I make one .022 and the other .002. As you already know, it’s the sum of the parts. I’ve had some amps come out incredible and others wouldn’t sound good no matter what I tried. I honestly think my JCA20 has been the best sounding and feeling amp I’ve modded. I posted pics of it in the main forum.

Oh for sure, I've liked your JCA20 since you first posted clips of it years ago. Damn thing sounds ridiculously good.

CNutz":1ig8zpl8 said:
Well my sacrificial plexi offering up it's blood again. Actually something I started a while ago that I didn't have time to dick with, but now here we are.

It's kind of a Cameron Jose mod, meets early BE100, with some of my own twists. Not finished yet, still alligator clipping stuff in/out but have a listen.

Recorded with Tascam DR-05

Recorder at my standing ear level. Sorry for the string sounds
https://soundcloud.com/user-864489142/dr0000_0027mp3

Recorder pointed at middle of cab 2-3 feet away
https://soundcloud.com/user-864489142/dr0000_0024mp3

And for those who like it darker, this is without the bright caps clipped in
https://soundcloud.com/user-864489142/dr0000_0021mp3

Here's a pexi/vintage sound. Probably too much gain still, didn't have time to dial in it.
https://soundcloud.com/user-864489142/dr0000_0026mp3
Do you like the tones you are getting from this amp?

Goat":173zjso5 said:
Do you like the tones you are getting from this amp?

Yes, I think so. It's fun to play, and the chewiness adds to the enjoyment. Now really I can't tell how well I like an amp until I play in a jam session with other's. Not sure when that'll happen next, maybe never. haha

Back