Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Nov 17, 2018 11:14am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 14, 2018 4:40pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951
Any R/Ters seen the latest Ozzy tour? Curious on review. I have tickets and am taking my sons to the show at the MGM in Vegas in October; Stone Sour is opening.

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 14, 2018 4:44pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I haven't but I would. Just never got close enough to see without taking time off work, and that's proven to be difficult lately. I've seen Ozzy probably 10 times or so. Some shows were better than others, of course, but it was always a great time!

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 14, 2018 5:29pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

My friend went and posted videos on FB. The songs were played crazy slow...

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 15, 2018 7:08am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I've seen them this summer, Oz should really stop performing.

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 15, 2018 9:44am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

IntenseJim wrote:
Any R/Ters seen the latest Ozzy tour? Curious on review. I have tickets and am taking my sons to the show at the MGM in Vegas in October; Stone Sour is opening.

That is great! Took my kid to Alice Cooper awhile back. Good to show the youngsters how awesome our bands still are and how badass the show is compared to newer shows. :)

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 15, 2018 9:49am 
Rock God Trainee

They ain't getting my money that's for sure!

• Marshall JVM 210H
• EVH 5150 III 50w
• MESA Trad. 412
• Schecter, LTD & Fender
• EMG 81/85 & 57/66
• SD Black Winter
• Dimarzio Air Zone
• Celestion Vintage 30s

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 15, 2018 10:11am 
Rock God

aftec wrote:

Yeah I am at a point where I will remember Oz live from about 15 years ago. Much like KISS, I can not drop coin for a live show.

Gear Demos from a Guy Who Loves Gear!!!

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 15, 2018 11:58am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

JerEvil wrote:
aftec wrote:

Yeah I am at a point where I will remember Oz live from about 15 years ago. Much like KISS, I can not drop coin for a live show.

I Youtube'd a recent Ozzy Zakk show. Yikes. :no:

But we did see KISS last year and they KILLED IT. I was skeptical but my son (then 25 years old) really wanted to see them, to my surprise. They went all out: it was 1970s all over again.

ALICE COOPER ...that man is amazing. Great show last year as well for a performer of any age. He's my dad's age . :rock:

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 16, 2018 7:27pm 
Supah Stah

psychodave wrote:
My friend went and posted videos on FB. The songs were played crazy slow...

What tuning? A?

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 16, 2018 8:24pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Saw him in Nov. It was pretty embarrassing. Zakk was a nightmare to watch too. But at least it was the Ozzfest/Knotfest show where I was able to see Kreator, Testament, Death Angel and Exhumed among others.

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 16, 2018 9:04pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

slaveunit wrote:
Saw him in Nov. It was pretty embarrassing. Zakk was a nightmare to watch too. But at least it was the Ozzfest/Knotfest show where I was able to see Kreator, Testament, Death Angel and Exhumed among others.

:lol: :LOL: + :aww:

Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17, 2018 8:41am 
Rock God

slaveunit wrote:

I remember seeing Zakk with Ozzy in the early 2000's. I had seen Holmes play the time before that and he was awesome. The kid in me was a bit disappointed because i always associated Zakk with Ozzy. Got to see him the second Ozzy show I went to and I left early. It was just pinch harmonic squealies every song. Annoyed the shit out of me. Since then, he has only gotten sloppier and his tone is garbage now. They also tune too low and the songs drag. The whole train literally has derailed.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17, 2018 9:36am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

So I shouldn't expect unsolicited PMs asking if have an extra ticket to the show?

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17, 2018 12:54pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Going next Friday the 28th here in Houston. I've got meet and greet with Ozzy for my wife and I before the show and I have meet and greet for myself with Zakk after the show. He's giving me a guitar he plays that night during the show when I see him. He signs it and takes a pic with me. I think I get to bullshit with him for few. Pretty excited about it. I know Ozzy sounds like shit (Saw him twice with Sabbath last year) and Zakk is a shell of what he was from No Rest For the Wicked and No more Tears, which I saw both of those tours, but I'm a huge Ozzy fan and I was a big Zakk fan as well. It's going to be a fun show. One last party with the Madman is the way I'm looking at it. I'm not going in to judge Ozzy's vocals or nitpick how many pinch harmonics Zakk does. I just want to rock out to the music I loved growing up and still love.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17, 2018 7:51pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

victim5150 wrote:
I just want to rock out to the music I loved growing up and still love.

x1000!! I grew up listening to Sabbath. I remember the day Randy died. I remember everybody hating Jake because he wasn't Randy. I remember when Zakk joined the band. More importantly, I remember losing my virginity while listening to War Pigs. ;)

There are a lot of bands who are still touring that honestly shouldn't be. But there are fans that are willing to pay to see them, anyway. We all have guilty pleasures... :yes:

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17, 2018 8:59pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I saw Ozzy last night and it was way better than expected. Stone Sour did a great job.
It would be great if Zakk would tone down the wankery............But that's not gonna happen! :lol: :LOL:
The last time I saw Ozzy was when Metallica opened for him in 86/87. I'm Glad I went last night :rock:

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17, 2018 11:04pm 
Supah Stah

Kapo_Polenton wrote:
slaveunit wrote:

I remember seeing Zakk with Ozzy in the early 2000's. I had seen Holmes play the time before that and he was awesome. The kid in me was a bit disappointed because i always associated Zakk with Ozzy. Got to see him the second Ozzy show I went to and I left early. It was just pinch harmonic squealies every song. Annoyed the shit out of me. Since then, he has only gotten sloppier and his tone is garbage now. They also tune too low and the songs drag. The whole train literally has derailed.

Joe Holmes, amazing talent with incredible tone, his Jose modded Marshalls!

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18, 2018 12:58am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Everything thing I have seen on you tube of this tour has basically sucked but Given this will be the last time to see Ozzy (assuming he comes to New Zealand) I will go and see him. Haven't seen him since the Ozzmosis tour so long over due. I saw the last Sabbath tour but missed the Dio/sabbath tour and have regretted that so will soo Oz one more time regardless

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18, 2018 10:43am 
Rock God

Watched a few clips... i actually feel bad for Zakk now! Tuned down to sludge and Ozzy barely talking through the songs. Hang it up already! Apparently Zakk was his fifth choice for guitar player. He had Gillis, torme, Jake, and Gus ahead of him. They all saw how boring it would be to play the set so they said screw it.Smart.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18, 2018 6:12pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Kapo_Polenton wrote:
Watched a few clips... i actually feel bad for Zakk now! Tuned down to sludge and Ozzy barely talking through the songs. Hang it up already! Apparently Zakk was his fifth choice for guitar player. He had Gillis, torme, Jake, and Gus ahead of him. They all saw how boring it would be to play the set so they said screw it.Smart.

Yeah, Brett Kavanaugh got offered the part and said f' it. I'll for SCJ position.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 9:38am 
Plank Cranker

I saw the show in Cleveland just 3 days ago. Ozzy’s voice held up really well though he did lose the melody on Mama I’m coming home. They are de tuned significantly at the point and Zakks tone was not as good as I find his tone to usually be but Ozzy is almost 70.......you have to have reasonable expectations. He was humble, healthy, energetic and very glad to be there. I would go again in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 10:50am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

stompboxfreak72 wrote:
I saw the show in Cleveland just 3 days ago. Ozzy’s voice held up really well though he did lose the melody on Mama I’m coming home. They are de tuned significantly at the point and Zakks tone was not as good as I find his tone to usually be but Ozzy is almost 70.......you have to have reasonable expectations. He was humble, healthy, energetic and very glad to be there. I would go again in a heartbeat.
Thanx.
How long did Ozzy play for?

If Stone Sour opened up, how long was the opening act?

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 9:15pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I really enjoyed the 2016 Black Sabbath final tour show. So I figured I would see one last show with the Ozzman this Friday!!!!!!!! Never see him with Zakk before so it will be new for me.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 5:13pm 
Supah Stah

victim5150 wrote:
Going next Friday the 28th here in Houston. I've got meet and greet with Ozzy for my wife and I before the show and I have meet and greet for myself with Zakk after the show. He's giving me a guitar he plays that night during the show when I see him. He signs it and takes a pic with me. I think I get to bullshit with him for few. Pretty excited about it. I know Ozzy sounds like shit (Saw him twice with Sabbath last year) and Zakk is a shell of what he was from No Rest For the Wicked and No more Tears, which I saw both of those tours, but I'm a huge Ozzy fan and I was a big Zakk fan as well. It's going to be a fun show. One last party with the Madman is the way I'm looking at it. I'm not going in to judge Ozzy's vocals or nitpick how many pinch harmonics Zakk does. I just want to rock out to the music I loved growing up and still love.

Dude, that's so cool! You're going to have a great time.

I haven't seen Ozzy since the Blizzard of Ozz tour in 1981 in Houston. I can't make it to this one, so I guess my remaining memories of that show will have to suffice.

Great transactions with: King Guitar, gainzilla, pstar, BIGKAHUNA, manray03, QueenCityGuitars, ttosh, Jimmie, lolzgreg, mystidream, bwgintegra, truthhurts318, locoed, Marshallman, gibson5413, Wizard of Ozz, goldwing68nv, ConcreteVampire, rrtiludrop, zuel69, sjk, axegod8185, caseygree, 61reissue, Spaceboy, Gainfreak, ChadVanHalen, 232cap, barnesjd, smdb.

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 21, 2018 1:59am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I had no plans on seeing Ozzy this tour ..... I had no plans on seeing Judas Priest

turns out Ozzy is touring New Zealand with Judas Priest as the support act .... looks like I am going to see Oz and the Priest after all :lol: :LOL: going to take all my kids to (aged 7, 9 , 11) :rock:

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 22, 2018 10:25am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I saw Ozzman last night in Chicago, He was really good his voice was strong he was having fun, was on cue and talkative. The drummer that played with Sabbath on the final tour was there and he was ripping it up as usual, he reminds me of Tommy Aldridge. I thought Zakk played pretty well but the sound guys has his guitar buried in the mix and would barely pull his levels up for solos. It was disappointing as I wanted to really hear Zakk burn it up... his tone was muddy and buried in chorus... it didn't cut like standard Marshall mids should, I think they may been tuned 1 full step down or more. Stone Sour's mix was not good as well.

I wanted to hear more Zakk Era songs but Ozzy only played just the really big ones Like Mama I'm coming home, No more Tears and a couple more, I wanted to hear Perry Mason, Mr. Tinkertrain and stuff like that, Zakk played a medley for his solo but Ozzy didn't sing them. He did a few Randy era tunes, Jake era tunes and quite a few Sabbath tunes which I could have done without. Not that I don't like them but he should have played more Zakk era tunes since Zakk was with him and they have the material to fill it but that just my opinion and my biggest complaint.

Overall it was a good show and enjoyable he played about and hour and a half or so, the sound mix was not as good as the Sabbath 2016 tour which was totally awesome, Iommi's tone was biting, crunchy and upfront in the mix as everyone else was well balanced and spot one.

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 30, 2018 11:48am 
Supah Stah

Saw the Houston show this past Friday. Ozzy sounded really good. They were tuned down at least a step. Zakk can still bring the heat. Overall is was a very good show. I'm glad I got to see it. If you get the chance... go.

2017 Charvel San Dimas

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 30, 2018 6:31pm 
Rock God

Saw the Dallas show last wednesday, SO GLAD I went. Ozzy still puts on one hell of a show, Zakk does what Zakk does and killed it, the drummer was solid as hell and entertaining, Blasko, well, he's Blasko, held down the low end great. But Ozzy, starts a little slow, but by the end of the night, he's rocking hard, and kicking ass.

Overall, I'd say go... I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the show.

This has all happened before, it will all happen again.

http://gutierrezguitars.com/

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 01, 2018 11:59am 
Rock God

I remember years back when I saw Zakk with Ozzy, I too noticed how many Sabbath songs were played and I really wished they had skipped them all together. Zakk playing Sabbath is just overkill and doesn't do it for me at all. Much prefer Gillis doing Sabbath and I wasn't a huge fan of him either.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 01, 2018 3:19pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Saw Ozzy in HI in 92' or 93' - probably the most disappointing arena show I've ever seen so for me, in terms of the Oz man, it's been "no more tours" ever since then.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 01, 2018 4:59pm 
Supah Stah

Kapo_Polenton wrote:
I remember years back when I saw Zakk with Ozzy, I too noticed how many Sabbath songs were played and I really wished they had skipped them all together. Zakk playing Sabbath is just overkill and doesn't do it for me at all. Much prefer Gillis doing Sabbath and I wasn't a huge fan of him either.

I loved Gillis on SOTD. That's one of my all time favorite guitar tones. :rock:

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09, 2018 1:38pm 
Supah Stah

My oldest son got a last-minute free ticket to see Ozzy last week in Salt Lake. He went and he enjoyed the show, but he got pretty tired of the guitar solos (he's not a musician). Overall, he was surprised how well Ozzy sounded for his age and mileage.

Great transactions with: King Guitar, gainzilla, pstar, BIGKAHUNA, manray03, QueenCityGuitars, ttosh, Jimmie, lolzgreg, mystidream, bwgintegra, truthhurts318, locoed, Marshallman, gibson5413, Wizard of Ozz, goldwing68nv, ConcreteVampire, rrtiludrop, zuel69, sjk, axegod8185, caseygree, 61reissue, Spaceboy, Gainfreak, ChadVanHalen, 232cap, barnesjd, smdb.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 9:17pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

"How about a big hand for the Ozzman?"

SHOW CANCELLED: hand infection. Hope he heals up and has no sequelae.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 12, 2018 11:23pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Saw Ozzy with Zakk about 11 years ago. Other than Zakk's stamina during his long solo, the only remarkable thing was all the bare titties in the audience. No desire to see a much older Ozzy.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 13, 2018 12:06am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Red_Label wrote:
Saw Ozzy with Zakk about 11 years ago. Other than Zakk's stamina during his long solo, the only remarkable thing was all the bare titties in the audience. No desire to see a much older Ozzy.

Hopefully you are referring to the women.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 13, 2018 3:47am 
Rock God

i know he cancelled remaining 2018 shows to undergo another procedure.
haven’t seen the ozzman since 99 i believe. ozzfest...first one with Joe Holmes.
no real need to see him again unless Jake comes back? haha