Anybody have the new Mxr 10 band eq (silver)

bhuard75

Anybody compare the new silver 10 band against the old black 10 band? Does the new low noise circuit justify replacing the old one?

Im running a rack...
OD >> bog Fish >> mxr 10band black >> vht2150. It does get a little noisy.

Thanks

bhuard75":2n6so5ie said:
Anybody compare the new silver 10 band against the old black 10 band? Does the new low noise circuit justify replacing the old one?

Im running a rack...
OD >> bog Fish >> mxr 10band black >> vht2150. It does get a little noisy.
Thanks
I just picked one up Tuesday and yeah way less hiss than the older model (not sure how it compares to the Kerry King model though). My old mxr 10 band was starting to snap crackle and pop in a very bad way... The con or pro pending on how you like it is the blue LED's are fricken SUPER bright.

getpubthumb

errrrrl":3umm69ts said:
I just picked one up Tuesday and yeah way less hiss than the older model (not sure how it compares to the Kerry King model though). My old mxr 10 band was starting to snap crackle and pop in a very bad way... The con or pro pending on how you like it is the blue LED's are fricken SUPER bright.

getpubthumb

Thanks Errl!

Looks good a lot better.

In case you guys don't know, the old Boss GE-10 EQ is super quiet and sounds incredible. They can be had for around $100 these days. I have two of them and they sound better than every other EQ I've used besides my custom Boogie stereo GEQ.

maddnotez":vwbcnpvp said:
Does it sound any different or is it the same exact thing with no noise?

To my ears it sounds exactly the same but with no noise... I'm guessing they probably copied the popular Silent Night Mod.

Besides the crazy hiss my old mxr 10 band started to really crackle and make popping noises, very similar to when tubes start to go bad, was more noticeable playing clean. I researched it and saw lots of old post on various boards of people with the same problem from 2007-2010, best guess I read was the capacitor inside goes bad at some point and MXR was charging $75 to repair it.

Anyway it works just like the old one but with 90% more brightness to my eyes lol

TMK, still share the same Tone suck bypass that the kfk 10 band did.

the KFK was SMT and generic looking board, i would assume its the same board in a better looking package to make the thing actually sell.

I've been running the old black mxr 10 band for about 8 years and have noticed no hiss/noise :dunno:
Couldn't be without one.

MetalHeadMike":z14avs8r said:
I've been running the old black mxr 10 band for about 8 years and have noticed no hiss/noise :dunno:
Couldn't be without one.

It makes such a huge difference in fine tuning tones on amps, can' t imagine not having one too :rock:

i had one of the old ones for years - i just never used the thing lol....sold it on craigslist lol

errrrrl":3c8bled7 said:
The con or pro pending on how you like it is the blue LED's are fricken SUPER bright.
maddnotez":3c8bled7 said:
Anyway it works just like the old one but with 90% more brightness to my eyes lol
It does make a good night light. This pic doesn't even do it justice, the whole damn room is lit.

psychodave":1dgrd48p said:
Looks good a lot better.

In case you guys don't know, the old Boss GE-10 EQ is super quiet and sounds incredible. They can be had for around $100 these days. I have two of them and they sound better than every other EQ I've used besides my custom Boogie stereo GEQ.

Agree, the GE-10 is my favorite by far. Wish someone would engineer a board-friendly version. A modded GE-7 sounds great too. Will have to try this MXR out.

I have the new silver MXR 10 band in the loop of my 2555x. No noise. Well built. I had the black 10 band many years ago and I returned it due to noise.

moltenmetalburn":d4tv9ngn said:
I have been looking at the six band.

If this thing already copied the silent night noise mod then what is griffin still doing to them?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/MXR-Six-Band-EQ- ... mwBanner=1

Is it even quieter?

I had the 6 band and went with the 10. The 6 has no gain or volume sliders. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread that it is really bright...Whew, do not stare at that thing for too long :D . I did own the black one, I feel that this one is more sensitive and gets there quicker on adjustments.

Back