Anyone get a lot of spam?

I'm on a 13-yar-old MacBook Pro and 12-year-old cheese grater with zero protection and receive, at worst, 2 spam emails a year.

That said, I get around half a dozen scammer calls on my VOIP "landline" (old-school functionality) 'phone every day and there ain't nothin' I can do about it.

I'm on a 13-yar-old MacBook Pro and 12-year-old cheese grater with zero protection and receive, at worst, 2 spam emails a year.

That said, I get around half a dozen scammer calls on my VOIP "landline" (old-school functionality) 'phone every day and there ain't nothin' I can do about it.
If you buy a lot of shit online those bastards all sell your email address. I’ve been on Macs since 2006 and never had any sort of protection. No problems. Your email provider is a separate thing from your computer though. It all depends how you have your mail program configured. If you go to the providers website you probably have millions of spam emails you’ve never seen.

I was going to make a thread about this but maybe not :dunno:

I've been trying to use DuckDuckGo for my browser lately as they claim they do not track/sell data etc etc. So it has some advantages such as better security possibly:

intercept and remove email tracking attempts
stop tracking from google and facebook
search without being tracked

But the downside is not all websites play as well as opposed to Chrome. Chrome does a much better job of providing maps, address, phone, directions, hours of business etc.

That said, my wife says there is a Chrome extension for Duckduckgo that I now see so I may try that.

Now my next post is even more interesting:

twPRa8f.jpg

I was going to make a thread about this but maybe not :dunno:

I've been trying to use DuckDuckGo for my browser lately as they claim they do not track/sell data etc etc. So it has some advantages such as better security possibly:

intercept and remove email tracking attempts
stop tracking from google and facebook
search without being tracked

But the downside is not all websites play as well as opposed to Chrome. Chrome does a much better job of providing maps, address, phone, directions, hours of business etc.

That said, my wife says there is a Chrome extension for Duckduckgo that I now see so I may try that.

Now my next post is even more interesting:
I hired an IT expert, and she said that google sells people’s habits and url but not their name. These spammers will then bombard the url. They want what they call, “unsophisticated,” users. They then send them to seniors who rarely use the internet and try to get them to panic purchase their products. Targeting seniors is so awful.

Agree.

Every time I log into TGP I'm getting spammed about paying some dude's medical bills.

I just PM'ed them to say I already spent that money ordering a custom parts-caster build from Warmoth.
You get spammed from TGP about paying that guys medical bills?!

If you buy a lot of shit online those bastards all sell your email address. I’ve been on Macs since 2006 and never had any sort of protection. No problems. Your email provider is a separate thing from your computer though. It all depends how you have your mail program configured. If you go to the providers website you probably have millions of spam emails you’ve never seen.
I've looked every year or so. No spam. :dunno:

Maybe I'm just lucky, but as I said, my VOIP 'phone is a different matter. At least they always hang up and don't leave messages.
If you don't wanna talk to me, that's all you had to say, man.

:mad:
:LOL:

I wonder how the term came about
I had to look that one up. It is an interesting answer.

The original term for the canned meat was coined by a relative of the company, Hormel. Hormel claims it stands for "spiced ham". Other conjecture was that it was really "shoulder of ham" - which was obviously not as attractive of a name. It was created during the Depression as a cheap way to feed the masses, including WWII rations. The definition often given is "something posing as meat", which is just lore. This naming was then used in a Monty Python skit where they were making fun a customer trying to find a menu item that did not contain Spam. So they claimed, 'everything has Spam in it' and concluded by chanting Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam, etc. This repetitiveness then became a name given to repetitive emails trying to sell crap over and over again.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/20997/origin-spam-food-spam-email

Apparently, the first people to make the connection between repetitive SPAM and repetitive email were enormous geeks, by which we mean to say they were players in "multi-user dungeons," or very early predecessors of games like World of Warcraft. Brad Templeton, who has done meticulous research on the topic, writes: "The term spamming got used to apply to a few different behaviors. One was to flood the computer with too much data to crash it. Another was to "˜spam the database' by having a program create a huge number of objects, rather then creating them by hand. And the term was sometimes used to mean simply flooding a chat session with a bunch of text inserted by a program (commonly called a "˜bot' today) or just by inserting a file instead of your own real time typing output. When the ability to input a whole file to the chat system was implemented, people would annoy others by dumping the words to the Monty Python SPAM Song. Another report describes indirectly a person simply typing "spam, spam...' in a Multi User Domain with a keyboard macro until being thrown off around 1985."

Right?

Speaking of tracking and spying, this literally just came across my FB feed. Luckily, it was posted 4 hours ago on the Whiskey and Sarcasm page. :LOL:

sK5H04Vl.jpg

I just wonder how many people they have sent threatening letters to or served them with papers and they freak out and pay them?

I just wonder how many people they have sent threatening letters to or served them with papers and they freak out and pay them?
I dunno. At least some, depending, as time, energy, money go into fighting. I would think the trick is to demonstrate some negligence so as to hold them accountable for this expenditure. But who wants to take their chances with the court system unless they have to? Did you get compensated for your time?

I dunno. At least some, depending, as time, energy, money go into fighting. I would think the trick is to demonstrate some negligence so as to hold them accountable for this expenditure. But who wants to take their chances with the court system unless they have to? Did you get compensated for your time?
Absolutely not.

Back