Cameron Aldrich Mod

steve_k":3j5pnmwx said:
charveldan":3j5pnmwx said:
steve_k":3j5pnmwx said:
charveldan":3j5pnmwx said:
The tone is Godlyke, personally i like a tad more midz but doesn't sound like your missing anything.

About the Zoom, for loud clips i set the mic on "low" and place it dead center 5 to 10 feet from the cab, the mic's on the unit are at an angle so if you square up on a cab your still off axis. Setting on low, it takes a long way til you clip, plus you don't get that drop-out at the beginning. :thumbsup:

I noticed that too. Its like..."oh shit", it's starting. I started to try one on low sensitivity from right at 7 feet, but the bars were only peaking about 50%.
Turn that fugger up to 3/4, it sounds very good on playback, very clear. :rock:

This was done at 50% on "low", it was over 100 decibels in the room.......[when i say 50% i mean the level meters on the Zoom]

Gonna give that a shot. Hey.......you don't like that Friedman mod much do you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Nice settings on it - tight and punchy.
More Friedmans and a Cameron Aldrich is in my future, you and i have the same passion for Marshalls, but you got a helluva headstart on me. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: BTW it was LOUD in the room when i did that video, my ears were clipping way before the Zoom mic's. :checkthisout:

charveldan":gke0s82u said:
steve_k":gke0s82u said:
steve_k":gke0s82u said:
The tone is Godlyke, personally i like a tad more midz but doesn't sound like your missing anything.

About the Zoom, for loud clips i set the mic on "low" and place it dead center 5 to 10 feet from the cab, the mic's on the unit are at an angle so if you square up on a cab your still off axis. Setting on low, it takes a long way til you clip, plus you don't get that drop-out at the beginning. :thumbsup:

I noticed that too. Its like..."oh shit", it's starting. I started to try one on low sensitivity from right at 7 feet, but the bars were only peaking about 50%.
Turn that fugger up to 3/4, it sounds very good on playback, very clear. :rock:

This was done at 50% on "low", it was over 100 decibels in the room.......[when i say 50% i mean the level meters on the Zoom]

Gonna give that a shot. Hey.......you don't like that Friedman mod much do you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Nice settings on it - tight and punchy.
More Friedmans and a Cameron Aldrich is in my future, you and i have the same passion for Marshalls, but you got a helluva headstart on me. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: BTW it was LOUD in the room when i did that video, my ears were clipping way before the Zoom mic's. :checkthisout:

Looks like it was pushing so much air it ripped your grill :D :D :D

I am getting ready to do some clips of the Fortin mod that I have finally got around to spending some time with. These are going to rip. My ears are bleeding already.

psychodave":37w2jbyr said:
Steve, after listening to your clip a few times (like 10) I cant help but think the CCV is better suited to your style. :D

Maybe I should order another one? :confused: :confused:

Actually, the second Aldrich mod that's on the clip is quite close to the CCV (what I remember of it) without the clipping diodes engaged with the micro-switches.

psychodave":2wj2kvo3 said:
:hys: I think she's playing through an Aldrich... :LOL: :LOL:
That's too cute...I love the "metal" smile :thumbsup:
She could show Hammett a thing or two about using the wah.

Mailman1971":3r8oxevy said:
Sounds good Steve.....to me it sounds a little "thicker" then the Cameron mods.
Settings about the same?

I am going to redo the Cameron's. The Zoom definitely has a little sweet spot about it and the sensitivity settings on the camera were different. The Cams are definitely thicker, by quite a bit. I think I was using an EMG equipped guitar on the Cameron's too. I will use the same guitar as the Suhr when I redo them.

parntz145":3mve3tbh said:
Steve if you want the truth the Cameron's and the Fortin destroy it.

Then you won't like the Golub either. It is going to be a little thinner than the Suhr, but same gain characteristics. I will get some clips of it and redo the Cameron's tomorrow.

Steve

I like the Suhr. It sounds like it has nice sensitivity and dynamics to my ear. Which do you feel has better feel? Nice playing Steve :rock:

jasonP":2gkvbki1 said:
glip22":2gkvbki1 said:
I like the Suhr. It sounds like it has nice sensitivity and dynamics to my ear. Which do you feel has better feel? Nice playing Steve :rock:

+1

The Suhr mod is one of the quality, all around mods. It just sounds good and behaves well. The Golub will be similar in tone to it. But, the two Cameron's are my favorites, with the first one demoed being top of the heap. They will give a bigger variety of tone and versatility and get down right fucking nasty - without limits when you want it to. The first one being a little more open and the second being a little bit darker and more modern. Keep in the mind, the two Cameron mods were done about 10-12 years apart, according to Mark.

Now after reading your last post. I will tell you I liked the first Cameron amp in the first clip a heap more than the second. That said.
I lean towards darker tones/amps. But being open is /or must be more important to me/my ears than I realized. Because like you say, the first Cameron was open sounding... :yes:
So I want it all. Open sounding,and darker. I loved the Fortin clip but the overall tone from the amp, the Fortin amp, had that little extra sizzle that I don't care for.
I want my tone to heat up your ears with out that sizzle. To me, I hear that as some sorta push over the edge for a piece of gear that needs the help.
If that makes any sense at all. IMHO!
Another take on the so called sizzle is, like with Jerry's clips with the peavey stuff. My ears deem that sizzle in the tone as METAL TONE.....For that type of music exclusively then that tone, sizzle etc... It would rule! :yes:
JERRY/FJA, SEEMS TO HAVE A FIRM HOLD ON THAT TONE. :rock:
After hearing that Fortin clip......SO DOES MIKE FORTIN... :)
WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN... ???
I'm a Classic Hard rock and 80's metal guy at best..... :thumbsup:

Hollywood":3l4h32iz said:
Now after reading your last post. I will tell you I liked the first Cameron amp in the first clip a heap more than the second. That said.
I lean towards darker tones/amps. But being open is /or must be more important to me/my ears than I realized. Because like you say, the first Cameron was open sounding... :yes:
So I want it all. Open sounding,and darker. I loved the Fortin clip but the overall tone from the amp, the Fortin amp, had that little extra sizzle that I don't care for.
I want my tone to heat up your ears with out that sizzle. To me, I hear that as some sorta push over the edge for a piece of gear that needs the help.
If that makes any sense at all. IMHO!
Another take on the so called sizzle is, like with Jerry's clips with the peavey stuff. My ears deem that sizzle in the tone as METAL TONE.....For that type of music exclusively then that tone, sizzle etc... It would rule! :yes:
JERRY/FJA, SEEMS TO HAVE A FIRM HOLD ON THAT TONE. :rock:
After hearing that Fortin clip......SO DOES MIKE FORTIN... :)
WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN... ???
I'm a Classic Hard rock and 80's metal guy at best..... :thumbsup:

It means you want it all !!! Keep in mind though, this is all recorded with a Zoom Q3 for reference really. I am going to start a round of recordings on PT's and post them. The sizzle you hear was most likely me dialing it in the EQ. I like big bottom and a lot of sizzle. I also like the mids scooped and not honky or stepping on the bottom or top end. In doing that, a little sizzle is imposed on the top end. When sitting in the room with them, my favorites are the first Cameron Aldrich and the Fortin to go big with.

I'd damn near donate a kidney for that 2nd Cameron.......... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Steve is that "low" mic setting on the Zoom working for you???

charveldan":37k3xnbt said:
I'd damn near donate a kidney for that 2nd Cameron.......... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Great Dan. Thanks for the heads-up on that one. Definitely gets more of the amp and less of the room on the Zoom........

charveldan":y3amlv8o said:

Only female body parts being considered.......

Back