Choose your 1 80's album/amp tone.

JohnRageOn":so46hj1r said:
I would like to mention Gary Moore's Victims of the Future with Jeff Glixman serving as producer!
YES! Victims of the future is BAD ASS! Gets regular play here.

Ahhh heck i'll throw my 2nd, and 3rd honorable mentions in...lol
2nd: Just can't get enough of Andy LaRocque

3rd: Norum is just so tuneful. Like Gary Moore, this got regular play. Amazing!

rottingcorpse":3dcy9q81 said:
CFH by Pantera with Terry Date producing. The beginning of an iconic and unique guitar tone that would be instantly recognizable for the next decade. I have a wall of warhead stacks and Randall X2 heads that never fail to bring a shit eating grin to my face every time I plug them in. Dimes tone isn't everyone's cup of tea,but one of my all time favorites.

Don't even bother in this forum bro. SS amps are total garbage fag amps around here... That is unless you paid $3k for it and it says fractal or kemper on it... Then it's better than a cranked original 68 plexi full stack. Lol!

Too hard to pick a fave.. too damn many good ones! But heard this today and remembered how much I liked it back then.. I laugh and think of Jim Breuer every time he yells EWW! But I like that nasty, grindy slide and rock 'n' roll

But I think I listened to this album more that any other, and still luvit!

Iron Maiden's "Piece of Mind". Wonderful lower mid growl in the guitar tone. No other band or other album of Maiden's sounds like it.

8len8":18okx8qc said:
Iron Maiden's "Piece of Mind". Wonderful lower mid growl in the guitar tone. No other band or other album of Maiden's sounds like it.
Yeah, I love the tone on Piece Of Mind. Powerslave was kinda close. Then they shit the bed and bought Gallien Kruegers for Somewhere In Time. Still a good album but their tone sounded too processed.

Thought it would be easier than it was, but there are a ton of albums that I love that no one else even touched on here, Faith No More's The Real Thing, Floyd's Momentary Lapse, Rush's Moving Pictures, The Smith's whole catalogue, The First couple Mike and The Mechanics Albums, Yes' 90125, ...And Justice, etc. And those are just the albums that have guitar on them.

This However, is my absolute favorite TFF song, and everything about it is amazing, including the guitars. This live version is dead on to the album version while simultaneously being even better.

HilltopExplosion":21x315dt said:
Too hard to pick a fave.. too damn many good ones! But heard this today and remembered how much I liked it back then.. I laugh and think of Jim Breuer every time he yells EWW! But I like that nasty, grindy slide and rock 'n' roll

But I think I listened to this album more that any other, and still luvit!

The

The recent remixes of those early Megadeth albums are awesome.

a24fretman":2gbps75w said:
JohnRageOn":2gbps75w said:
I would like to mention Gary Moore's Victims of the Future with Jeff Glixman serving as producer!
YES! Victims of the future is BAD ASS! Gets regular play here.

Ahhh heck i'll throw my 2nd, and 3rd honorable mentions in...lol
2nd: Just can't get enough of Andy LaRocque

Them was my introduction to 'King', and it totally blew my mind. The lyrics inside the cassette I bought had something like triangle symbol for Larouque's leads and a square symbol for Pete Blak's leads. First album I ever saw with this and what a tour de force of great riffs, leads, Mikkey Dee on Drums and of course King creeping me the hell out. I thought this whole concept of a story based album was genius. My 'and Justice for All tape got shelved for a good 3 months.

danyeo":2nr96eoj said:
8len8":2nr96eoj said:
Yeah, I love the tone on Piece Of Mind. Powerslave was kinda close. Then they shit the bed and bought Gallien Kruegers for Somewhere In Time. Still a good album but their tone sounded too processed.
Totally agree. POM had a savage rawness to it with a killer growl in the low mids. Great, great guitar tone. Also agree about SIT. Sounded washed out with that fucking GK chorus. Those amps had their place and on a Maiden album was NOT it.

Purerock7":2noec7wm said:
XYZ Hungry

+10

This may have been '91? But you'd be hard pressed to find a nastier, fatter, modded Marshall type of tone. I thought Back for the Attack was the end all, till I heard this...

hammered":1ddogpjf said:

Amen!! Such chewy goodness all over this album!

Fair Warning is still the #1 for me, but there are SO many other killer tones you just have to miss the 80's!

charvelstrat81":2njwclmd said:
For the 80's i would pick FAIR WARNING.
Love the Tone edward had on that record. :thumbsup:

me too.......for my money, the EVH tone on Fair Warning is my fave. He had started to use the FLoyd Rose in the studio, and you can hear it in the loss of some lower mids in his tone. his playing was getting a bit more adventurous and dangerous, perhaps becausse he was listening to and hanging out with Allan Holdsworth - and production-wise, I think Fair Warning is my fave. It's dangerous, got swagger, and teeters on the edge of destruction sometimes..... :rock: :rock: :rock:

Even though I do love Victims Of The Future, Run For Cover is my favorite Gary Moore 80's tone.

Back