Ernie Ball strings

Second Vote for the D’Addario NYXL strings. Noticeably improved tuning stability with my non-locking trem guitars and they feel smooth and new for a long time.
I don't break strings and just recently enjoy changing strings but D'Addarrios are just solid and sound great to me.

I use any strings that are on sale honestly. I toggle between GHS, EB and D'Addario. 0 brand loyalty here.

Second Vote for the D’Addario NYXL strings. Noticeably improved tuning stability with my non-locking trem guitars and they feel smooth and new for a long time.

That's the biggest upsides for me, too.

I also break them less though - especially less than GHS boomers, which seems to be especially made to break when Dan bends

Reactions: PDC
RE: strings in general. I just would appreciate a packaging that keeps them corrosion free for a while. I don’t go through strings fast because I’m not gigging but if I buy a box of 10, the last few packs are always no good by the time I get to them. It’s not super humid where I keep them either. Plus I’m a fan of packaging the individual string by itself. I know it’s more paper but I hate have other strings loosy goosey and sometimes you just need to change a broken string and it sure is nice to be able to grab a replacement that is packaged solo.

I like DR’s but they package in pairs and even though the sleeves live in plastic, they corrode after a while. When I was in bands and gigging I exclusively used Boomers. They had great gauge options that others didn’t have and you could even order custom gauge sets at no extra cost. Back in the 90’s they were one of the only companies that still gave you a plain G when going to heavier gauges like 12’s.

When I was gigging I wouldn’t use EB’s. They were the fastest dying string I’d ever tried.

20240505_174417.jpg

Last edited:
RE: strings in general. I just would appreciate a packaging that keeps them corrosion free for a while. I don’t go through strings fast because I’m not gigging but if I buy a box of 10, the last few packs are always no good by the time I get to them. It’s not super humid where I keep them either. Plus I’m a fan of packaging the individual string by itself. I know it’s more paper but I hate have other strings loosy goosey and sometimes you just need to change a broken string and it sure is nice to be able to grab a replacement that is packaged solo.

I like DR’s but they package in pairs and even though the sleeves live in plastic, they corrode after a while. When I was in bands and gigging I exclusively used Boomers. They had great gauge options that others didn’t have and you could even order custom gauge sets at no extra cost. Back in the 90’s they were one of the only companies that still gave you a plain G when going to heavier gauges like 12’s.

When I was gigging I wouldn’t use EB’s. They were the fastest dying string I’d ever tried.
Yup, the biggest string haul I ever made was "only" about 10 packets, all EB Slinkys and several of them were corroded.

I mean, how does that work if they're sealed in plastic? Do they not remove all the air and replace it with argon or something?

Bloody-annoying.

Yup, the biggest string haul I ever made was "only" about 10 packets, all EB Slinkys and several of them were corroded.

I mean, how does that work if they're sealed in plastic? Do they not remove all the air and replace it with argon or something?

Bloody-annoying.
IIRC I used to use Ernie Balls often when I was a kid and remember that a lot of times the wrap would be poking a bit on some strings like it was coming off.

Never have I witnessed this in other brands I've tried.

Another +1 to NYXL strings not breaking. When I played 8-strings with longer scales tuned to standard, I was having major issues breaking high E strings during bending. Happened once ot twice a week. But switching to NYXL solved it completely and I don't think I ever broke one.

I used Ernie Ball slinkys since 1978. Over the last year or two I was compelled to try the (relatively) new D'addario NYXLs and was stunned how different the guitar sounded, in a positive way. Not just "different" but better. I have since converted all my guitars to the NYXLs, so I am a living, breathing convert.

NYXL's are legit but pricey, probably my current favorite. I used to love the Dean Markley Blue Steels but they got hard to find. EB is my budget go-to. no issues with them.

I have never liked EB strings on guitars... This is for the past 20 years now. I keep trying them every now and then and am always disappointed. It's like the note is hiding behind the sound of the string. You can hear finger movement very easily and stuff as well. I have Daddarios on half of my guitars and Rotosound strings on the other half. Seems like strat style guitars love the roto yellows.

I don't like Ernie Balls either much for electric. I found the high strings broke more often than other brands except for Fender branded stuff. However I have always been a deep appreciator of their Ernie Ball Earthwood acoustic strings.

I am a fan of LaBellas for my electrics.
The Earthwood strings focus on so many harmonic frequencies rather than the core sound that they sound terrible on my Koa back/side acoustic. Nothing but high end resonance and harmonics. Kinda cool but gave away all of the other sets I had.

I guess I'm in the minority. I've always preferred EB Slinkys. I also like the Paradigms (they do last considerably longer).

Back