Ernie Ball strings

I've tried just about everything and still settled on EB Hybrid Slinkies; mainly because they are cheap and available everywhere. I'll spring for the Paradigm version on the guitar I'm playing the most; I've had a set of those last for an entire year

I've had great luck with Paradigms - they last a long time and they'll replace broken strings. Haven't used any other EB for years, so can't speak of them.

Bad part - $14.99 per 6. But what ain't expensive these days - and when they last so long 🤷‍♂️.

I am too and used them for year and tried the DR after going to namm learned the DR were handmade and wanted to try them.
Pure Blues' are awesome, great mellow sound and easy to play. Gives a nice bluesy touch to your tone.

The only caveat I have with them is that the high E on those sometimes breaks pretty easily at least with 9s. Hence I moved to GHS.

Just ordered a set of Curt Mangan pure nickel Round core 9-42. 😋 I believe these will sound and feel amazing.

I mean... To me, they sound like strings and that's it?

I honestly don't notice a world of difference between the well-known brands as long as the gauges are the same, but I've never really scrutinized the difference between them all. I bet that would be interesting. But I'm lucky that my sweat isn't super corrosive, so most of the well-known brands last me a decent amount.

I do like their 12-56 gauge set with the wound 3rd as far as gauges go. And the tone and feel are... decent?

The only ones that I stay away from are Dean Markleys. I break those like spaghettis.

I use their 9-46 sets on strats, 10-46 on teles and gibsons, and the 11-50 on the tele I have set up for alternate and slide tunings. I really like ‘em.

I also like the standard D’Addarios on some guitars where I want the full brightness on the top end. I tend to like “light top/heavy bottom” string sets for any guitar I use for heavier music just because I hate if a guitar feels like the unwound strings have more tension than the wound strings and I REALLY HATE feeling like I have to hold back on my picking hand to keep notes sounding in tune. Again just for heavy stuff, I play differently if it’s more like rock/country.

I like DR for bass, D'Addario Nickel Wound sets for my guitars (10-52 or 11-56).

Tried EB's and they just felt/sound lifeless. I've not tried them for a long time so maybe the Colbats would be cool, but I don't really care to find out.

GHS. Back in the day I remember seeing Lynch adds for playing GHS. I was like, "those gotta be the best". LOL, wrong. I've never broke more strings in my life when using GHS. Canned 'em and have never looked back.

I tried to like SIT, being an Ohio company, but they just don't have it either.

With D'Addario, I've had less string breaks and I feel they last a good while before I need to change them. I usually buy 10 packs at a time straight from D'Addario. I do the Players Circle thing, build up points and buy strings with the points I accumulate.

I like the Hetfield set and Titanium’s from Ernie Ball but that’s about it, I’ve tried quite a few over the years. I took my PRS in for a setup and I hate the slinky’s they put on. My fault for forgetting to provide my own set.

I've been using EB Slinky's for the last couple years - they are the only non coated strings that I don't turn black in an hour. D'Addario's corroded pretty quickly and I'd break them often. Elixirs would wreak havoc on my callouses. I think I've tried most of the other major string brands and that is what I found. Years and years ago I'd use DR Tite-Fits too.

Swapped out the Earthwood strings last night with D'addario EJ19 and they sound and work FAR better for this acoustic. I know that they are different types of strings (Phosphor bronze) but I am not certain I have ever heard a set sound as bad on my acoustic as the Earthwood set. Wowzers. Takamine F370SS Koa back and sides. Still prefer D'Addario or Rotos for my electrics as well. To each their own.

Back