Guitar Tone Test Inside. Clearing up some rumors!

Which clip do you like best: A, B, or C?

• CLIP C

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • CLIP B

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • CLIP A

Votes: 23 53.5%

• Total voters

lolzgreg

This was a speaker swapping test in a 1x12 cabinet. Three different speakers were loaded into the cabinet. The ground was marked with tape around the perimeter of the speaker to ensure that the position of the cabinet in front of the microphone would not move; the microphone stand was also taped to the floor.

Speaker A: Celestion Vintage 30 (Chinese, store bought)
Speaker B: Celestion Vintage 30 (Mesa spec, from a Rectifier Cabinet)
Speaker C: Warehouse Guitar Speakers Retro 30 (Vintage 30 clone)

So, what does this say?

60% of you prefer the Chinese vintage 30 compared to the other two speakers, likely because of it's more vocal midrange, and less fizz overall. I agree that this speaker may have TOO much midrangem but it's more pleasant in voicing in my opinion.

Only 10% of you like the Mesa V30. I always did have slight issues with fizz with that speaker, and this test shows me the same. My opinion is that if this speaker did not have any fizz, it could really be awesome, and obviously has still been recorded well before by engineers over the world.

30% of you however chose the Warehouse Guitar Speakers Retro 30 as your favorite. This speaker's greatest issue to me is the relatively steep peak toward the top of the midrange that can be slightly irritating. It's similar in character to the Mesa V30, but with less fizz.

Don't bash the Chinese V30; it's a great speaker, or at least 60% of you think so. More tests are coming in the near future, as I have something big up my sleeve

I performed a mildly scientific test changing only one variable in the guitar tone chain to see which sound I liked best. I'm not going to let you guys know what I changed yet, but I want some opinions.

The mic positioning was not meant to be optimal for any one tone. The mic was positioned on the crease between the dusctcap and cone. There is no post processing in any clip whatsoever.

The clip is divided into three obviously different sections, in order, A, B, and C.

Please pick your favorite, A, B, or C.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569935/Three Clips: Which sounds best.wav

Cheers :)

-Greg

not liking the way the mid's sit in clip A, it also sounded weak/not as much punch compared to the other two

clip B sounds too raspy - solid state like almost, it takes away from what clip A offered. i like the up front punch you in the face attitude of this one the most though.

clip C sits the best in the mix to my ears, but lacks the punch of clip B. it also smears some notes, not as defined.

i choose clip C, but IMHO i really didnt like any of them.

Speaker cable? a. radio shack b. mogami c. monster
Preamp tube covers? a. Cover on b. cover off c. cover on but not locked down
Speakers? a. Chinese V30 b. English V30 c. Mesa V30
Amp? a. Peavey Vypyr b. Line 6 POD c. JMD
:LOL: :LOL:

I'll check this out late tonight when I get home. Love these blind tests. Keeps me from my biases.

I chose clip B. Sounded a little more ballsy/aggressive than the other 2 and that's what I go for :D

Toss up between A and C (leaning slightly more towards C). Both sound pretty good. Something right between those 2 would probably be ideal. Didn't care for B at all.

Sounds like you are moving a fader (around 2000Hz) on a graphic EQ.

I went with A bro but I have no clue what you are changing in the chain to get that wide sweep of changes other than the cab.

B sounds like playing through a Line6 with cans.

I choose A. C was close but just seemed a little bit thinner. B was harsh and buzzy...didn't like it.

Ya see? I told you guys the XTC can get a tight response! :LOL: :LOL:

JK, I have no idea what this comparison was, but judging from laptop speakers I chose clip A.

Back