Herbert MK2 released

Peter Diezel":1cl6ijwv said:
Joeytpg":1cl6ijwv said:
are you gonna do a VH4 revision too?

Not now

I do believe Herr Peter is getting bored and needs another project soon to fill his sack up for them golden years. I am thinking there needs to be limited run of 250 or so numbered Blue Face VH4 Reissues with the original 6L6 specs - after he gets done messing with Herbie's clean channel and transformer mounts.

Steve :thumbsup:

Peter Diezel":36ktcwa5 said:
No golden years till now, Steve.

Are You honest with the VH4 blueface version ?

Absolutely Peter. Would love to have one. I would fly up and get it myself. And partake of some more of that Bavarian hospitality and beer!

Steve

tlingen":309wfwgn said:
Has there been a blue face Herbert or other colors?

I think anodized faceplates/rack-mounts look very cool... Like the Blue Bogner Fish or the old Purple VHT Poweramps.

steve_k":1kq8o1bl said:
Peter Diezel":1kq8o1bl said:
No golden years till now, Steve.

Are You honest with the VH4 blueface version ?

Absolutely Peter. Would love to have one. I would fly up and get it myself. And partake of some more of that Bavarian hospitality and beer!

Steve

Sign me up for 2 Bluefaces. One VH4 and one VH4S with 6L6's 95-97 spec's, old script :D
Just tell me where to send the mula :thumbsup:

I've had the opportunity to play a blue face years ago without really knowing what it was or who it was or what it represented. Right now, I'm so stoked with the latest versions of the V's that are out - I don't think even if a blue face did come out I'd be that jazzed about it.

I'm just sayin'....
V.

PaulyPanacea":3qb01lvu said:
wow..only 49 posts...thought there would me more...LOL!! :LOL: :LOL:

You got to wait until the "best tube for the mk2" starts.

How you doin brotha?

Steve

Ventura":maitv19v said:
I've had the opportunity to play a blue face years ago without really knowing what it was or who it was or what it represented. Right now, I'm so stoked with the latest versions of the V's that are out - I don't think even if a blue face did come out I'd be that jazzed about it.

I'm just sayin'....
V.

I myself have held off on pulling the trigger on a new vh4 because I'm way to confuzed over these revisions to know what is going to be worth my hard earned 4500. I am a big tool fan and I do love the sounds Adam Jones gets out of his but at the same time his is jumped into an old Marshall super bass. I'm no fanboy after all my favorite artists gear but that's a lot of money for me to let go of without having more of an idea of what is up. I realize amp shopping is a helluva drug and you don't always get it right, right off the bat, but for me I need to try and get close. Most youtube clips aren't very comparable for these two amps. From what I hear the blueface revisions sound a little "darker". If that we're the case I do believe I'd be interested in tracking one down. That being said every mesa fanboy raves that the pre-500 recto's sound a million times better than the new issues but once again the clips around don't do that a whole lot of justice. Is all this bs really just a nostalgia thing or is it the real deal? Everyone's likes/wants/needs are different but it'd be great to hear some side by sides of a blueface from 95 and a silver from 2010. It's not that I think one looks "cooler" than the other I'm just curious as to what I ought to be spreading that cheese on. As far as the thread goes, the herbert looks and sounds like a sick amp, from clips, once again, I doubt I could hear the diff between a transformer switch. But that's just me!

Don't know what to say really....

My MK1 Herbert has the cleanest cleans around, yet some people were able to get this channel to distort? :shocked:

I can't say much about transformers, as a lot of that I don't understand. But, 6 KT88's still makes for a TON of headroom. :D

I am completely satisfied with my MK1, and what would push me to sell my MK1 for a new MK2 would be if the -/+ feature was MIDI switchable and reverb that is channel assignable. But, heck I would be happy as a clam with reverb that isn't assignable.

I think the 'distortion' people are referring to is not power valve break-up. It must be something else, something related to the pick-ups and a weird characteristic they have in conjunction with the Herbert.

This is really interesting news, though. I had no idea that the Herbert needed any corrections. I always thought, if there was ever a 'correction' in the Diezel line, it would be with the first channel of the Einstein or the loops of the VH4.

Even though those amps have their own version of perfection, for many people the small limitations are enough to warrant saving up a little more and going for a Herbert instead, when the Einstein is its own thing.

Anyway, cool news - though I'm still stuck on the Schmidt!

steve_k":2b3sia56 said:
PaulyPanacea":2b3sia56 said:
wow..only 49 posts...thought there would me more...LOL!! :LOL: :LOL:

You got to wait until the "best tube for the mk2" starts.

How you doin brotha?

Steve

well i will wait til that topic hits..ill be all over it.

im ok brotha! glad to see you are still kicking sand around!! Peace & Grease my friend!!

Tvd":2fgdklfl said:
Ventura":2fgdklfl said:

I'm just sayin'....
V.

I myself have held off on pulling the trigger on a new vh4 because I'm way to confuzed over these revisions to know what is going to be worth my hard earned 4500. I am a big tool fan and I do love the sounds Adam Jones gets out of his but at the same time his is jumped into an old Marshall super bass. I'm no fanboy after all my favorite artists gear but that's a lot of money for me to let go of without having more of an idea of what is up. I realize amp shopping is a helluva drug and you don't always get it right, right off the bat, but for me I need to try and get close. Most youtube clips aren't very comparable for these two amps. From what I hear the blueface revisions sound a little "darker". If that we're the case I do believe I'd be interested in tracking one down. That being said every mesa fanboy raves that the pre-500 recto's sound a million times better than the new issues but once again the clips around don't do that a whole lot of justice. Is all this bs really just a nostalgia thing or is it the real deal? Everyone's likes/wants/needs are different but it'd be great to hear some side by sides of a blueface from 95 and a silver from 2010. It's not that I think one looks "cooler" than the other I'm just curious as to what I ought to be spreading that cheese on. As far as the thread goes, the herbert looks and sounds like a sick amp, from clips, once again, I doubt I could hear the diff between a transformer switch. But that's just me!

Just a note about what you wrote here...about the pre-500 mesa recto.

I have owned - a 3ch. Triple Recto, 3ch. dual recto, 2ch. dual recto, recto pre, triaxis with recto board, a Tremoverb combo, and a Pre-500 Recto.
I have sold ALL except the pre-500 and the tremoverb, simply because it is my only combo.

my take on this is, i don't think it is apparent enough of a difference unless you are definitely in the room with different amps to go through.
there is a certain buzziness to the modern recto tone that is NOT in the old amps. This clarity of tone is really what sets them apart.
It is also quite a bit more of an aggressive amp. Especially with EL34L's.
thrown in an MXR eq in the loop and just plain forget it.
I've also compared the new 2010 to the old and no comparison.
There is a difference. It may be minor to some.
However, even at a recent amp-fest at my place, where we have tons of the highest quality amps...I saved the pre-500 for last...just to show what am amp-killer in tone it really is.
You can't really hear it too well on recordings, but trust me, there really is something to it that just puts a smile on your face when you hear it.
call it mojo, or what have you. It's not just a myth.
I won't speak for all of them, but mine definitely has it.

Peter Diezel":2tn0wr7h said:
Ventura":2tn0wr7h said:
I think it's safe to say, Herr Peter...Papa Diezel...UberAmpDaddyo - we'd ALL love to know exactly WHAT changes have been made in the MK2 versus the original. Aside from transformer position - what are the details? Have the channel circuits been revised? Any new, additional or removed components in the circuit paths of the channels?

If it's as simple as saying you've cleaned up the 1st channel only, tell us. We'll move along quietly. But if there have been other, more substantial changes throughout the entire amp's circuit which transfer to noticeable tonal changes, gain structure, etc. please do tell.

Respectfully,
Mojo (aka, V.)

Hey Mo, hope You are well and in good condition as always.
As I mentioned before there are no more changes in the
circuit. Also the clean channel sounds very close to the MK1.
I´m always designing the some s..... :D

..i'm back now from summer holidays..cleaned a bit my 1499 :doh: :D Herbert, played it :rock: ..and now i've read the thread title..the title was an heart attack!
But if the improvements are only about the transformers i can sleep well tonight. :LOL:
Peter..out of curiosity the position of the new transformers and the new ones can be fitted also in mk1 Herberts without major mods like cutting/drilling the chassis?
They are always Langer?

p.s. i'll let you know when the italians maunals are ready. ;)

Back