How Often Do You Bros Change Strings ?

I sweat a lot when playing and will destroy strings, especially in the summer months. Otherwise, every few months or when I either break them or see them looking orange.

When they quit holding intonation usually. If I'm gigging I'll change them when they get grimey.

I have had strings that all of a sudden just would not hold tune, its only happened to me once. Generally when they start having to be tuned more its a sign, but this was the first time, that they were just totally shot. Thankfully I had a backup guitar with newer strings, so I was good.

I’ve grown to hate changing strings, especially on a Floyd.

96583715_2633645670247440_1749413748155613184_n.jpg

During a pickup swapping phase I might change them several times in a short period but once dialed in I don’t change them unless one breaks. But I’m not sweating on them. When I was I changed strings a lot.

Once you get your FR set, it's not so bad, unless you change your string gauge or tunings IMO.

I change my strings when they feel rough, get rusted, don't stay in tune, or break.

I've been liking StringJoy strings of late, though still working through my supply of EHX strings that I purchased in bulk on sale several years ago. IIRC, it worked out to $2-3 a set?

As little as possible. Maybe once a year. I also play the shit out of my guitars.

I got a LP JR. used and still have the D’Addarios it came with they feel good and don’t see a reason to change them/I’m worried new strings would change the tone.

I don't really sweat & I live in the desert. That said, when I was using regular D'Addarios I'd get 3-6 weeks out of them. Since I switched to NYXLs I easily get 6-12 months out of them, have never broken one, and generally get to changing them more because it's time to oil the ebony.
That is pretty good, I need to try those strings out!!

I’ve got four guitars that need re-strings but…. I’ve also bought four new guitars.

It occurred to me that it’s easier to buy a new guitar than to restring a guitar during travel cycles (and she appreciates that) 🙊

Though I am up north with two guitars to re-string. I’m going to make it happen!

Last edited:
All right I set up a table with a blanket out at the waters edge.

that’s the way to get things done.

Rock ‘n’ roll. Brand new elixirs on the 12 string and Im told it sounds great on the opposite side of the lake 🐬

Attachments

• AEAA66FF-274C-4D48-A2DF-B15C7AC474F7.jpeg
    AEAA66FF-274C-4D48-A2DF-B15C7AC474F7.jpeg
    961.8 KB · Views: 23
Not sure about y'all bros, but it def depends on the instrument for me.
Regular players 1-3x/month with EB's or 1x/1-3 months with Electrozinc/NYXL/other coated. I've found that on my lesser played guitars I like to keep the D'angelico electrozincs on them because they "store well," and are cheap/viable for the task, though aren't my absolute favorite for metal tones.

I usually continue to drop tune as my strings age on my multiscales, because $20-30/set. Seems to work out okay and get a month or two before I feel uninspired by their response. A couple of them are my daily players though and I'm more inclined to change them more often and put the used strings on another less played or drop tuned one already setup for them.

My classical instruments can be $$$ though. My violins are about $50-90/set for the ones I am content with on the specific instrument and get changed 3-5x/year each and my Cellos run about $100-150 for my player sets (helicore/jargars)and around $400+(larsens/mixed set) for my pro(see: eargasm) set and swap out 1-4x/year. I also burn through bow hair(old timey picks for the uninitiated) pretty quick, relatively.

My main basses probably 1-2x/year, everything else, um... less than that.

TL;DR? Probably 3-5 times/week I'm changing strings out on an instrument and a guesstimate of around one or two weeks worth of 9-5 shifts and $2.5-3k/year on them. I try to stick with the same ones to avoid having to mess with the truss or intonation when possible. Always fresh or included when selling. I would LOVE to know ideas that people have come up with for repurposing old strings. Seems like such a waste of good material for something. First world, and all that.

My nephew can play his ass off but has some acidic sweat that ruins strings. He changes them at least twice a week. He came home for Xmas last year and spent a ton of time in my mancave. I had to restring every guitar he touched.
He should probably watch his sodium intake. I hear about this a lot, and would guess that it's the main cause for most people experiencing this issue.

Back