Is there a Furman PQ3 alternative?

I've had tons of EQ units over the years. Still have a few. Here's a few interesting observations :

TC 1140 parametric rack EQ : The king of transparent EQ and razor sharp tweakability. In an effects loop its so clean sounding that it almost doesn't sound right to my ear. Sterilizes the tone somewhat. Better suited for bass rigs, studio or PA applications.

Rocktron ProQ : An unusual EQ. Can do things other EQs cannot like phase manipulation, different EQ settings on L & R channels, MIDI recall, HUSH noise gate. Fairly warm and fat sounding but at the end of the day its a digital unit and you can tell.

Rocktron (forget the model #) half rack 3 band parametric : Noisy, garbage pots that eventually go bad, long discontinued. However the tone was awesome ! Super fat, warm low end when boosting lows, and super crunchy highs that seemed to be part of the amps tone stack when boosting highs. Not totally transparent but it just jelled with any amp when used in an effects loop.

Boss parametric pictured above : Sucks, period. Just sucks the tone out of your sound no matter how its adjusted. Avoid.

MXR 6 band reissue : Good solid EQ. Fat and musical without much noise.

Boss GE-7 : Not as bad as the Boss parametric but still sucks a fair amount of tone. Noisy.
Boss GE-6 : The percussor to the GE-7. No level control and one less Frequency band (no 6.4 K). Sounds MUCH better than the GE-7; fatter, warmer, less noisy. The frequencies are the same as the GE-7 (except the missing one) but the 'Q' or bandwidth of each freq. is obviously preset at a much wider slope. Therefore boosting or cutting sounds less peaky or notchy than the GE-7.

BigJam graphic EQ pedal : Some old 70's or 80's obscure company. Japanese ??? I'm not sure but this pedal had 6 bands & no level control. Not transparent at all but had the most amazing coloration of any EQ I've heard. Super chunky midrange tone, deep solid lows, sizzling yet WARM highs. Same frequencies as a Boss, MXR but the tone was all its own. Goes to show you how different circuitry and components can alter tone, even if the same frequencies are being targeted.

And a few others not worth mentioning...

One of the things I really like about the TC 1140, aside from its great sound is that it has a footswitchable bypass, and a level matching control. So you can set your amp for a great rythym sound, then kick in the parametric for your lead tone and with the level matching knob set an appropriate volume boost (or cut).

i hate to sound like a total noob

but are there some para eq's more suited to guitar than others or does that matter?

do i need to look for units with certain frequencies?

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread unless I missed it is that the Furman is not only a parametric EQ but it is a boost and EQ all in one.
There are definitely better parametric EQ's out there with better specs but the Fumans were normally used to add gain to the signal and they were often used before the amp to kick them into total saturation. The Furmans were capable of adding +26db worth of gain wheras most parametrics only boosted +15db if you were lucky. So my point is...If you are looking to use a Parametric in the loop of the amp to cut or boost freequencies and you want a low noise floor, then Id look at the Ranes or TC parametrics but if you are looking for a tone shaping tool for distortion while added a shitload of gain or a boost there is none better then the Furman in My humble opinion.

all the best

~R~

SgtThump":gjq777at said:
We had an idea that the next Rig-Talk pedal would be a parametric EQ voiced like the Furman PQ3 and designed specifically to drive the front end of a guitar amp. We JUST started talking about it and haven't heard back from Joel at HBE yet. It would've been a pretty cool idea, me thinks. The colors were going to be reversed (the pedal would be yellow with the writing and knobs being blue.)

This would be a mandatory purchase. :rock:

Gainfreak":2hr7f0ie said:
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread unless I missed it is that the Furman is not only a parametric EQ but it is a boost and EQ all in one.
There are definitely better parametric EQ's out there with better specs but the Fumans were normally used to add gain to the signal and they were often used before the amp to kick them into total saturation. The Furmans were capable of adding +26db worth of gain wheras most parametrics only boosted +15db if you were lucky. So my point is...If you are looking to use a Parametric in the loop of the amp to cut or boost freequencies and you want a low noise floor, then Id look at the Ranes or TC parametrics but if you are looking for a tone shaping tool for distortion while added a shitload of gain or a boost there is none better then the Furman in My humble opinion.

all the best

~R~

now you done gone and thrown a whammy on me lol
i guess i need to try a both a furman and a Rane or something like the Rane. only eq i ever owned was a MXR 10 band.

Speed_Racer71":2hmcry63 said:
Gainfreak":2hmcry63 said:

all the best

~R~

now you done gone and thrown a whammy on me lol
i guess i need to try a both a furman and a Rane or something like the Rane. only eq i ever owned was a MXR 10 band.

Well it just depends on what you want to do. If you are going to use it for shaping your distortion and you want to turn your amp into a flame thrower then Id get the Furman because its a boost and EQ all in one. I think of the PQ3 as a boost that enables you to control the freequencies boosted.

If you are going to use an eq to shape your clean tone or you need an EQ with a low noise floor then Id say to get the Rane or something else.

I hope that helps narrow it down a bit!!

~R~

Gainfreak":1otbviwm said:

all the best

~R~

FWIW the TC 1140 can add up to 34db of gain boost (I/O) plus 20db +/- on each band.

I use it as a gain boost all the time and it's insane... :thumbsup:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=12799

Rufus Leaking":1eg5b546 said:
Gainfreak":1eg5b546 said:

all the best

~R~

FWIW the TC 1140 can add up to 34db of gain boost (I/O) plus 20db +/- on each band.

Good to know! I had no idea!! ! :rock:

psychodave":wib5i20v said:
Rufus Leaking":wib5i20v said:
Gainfreak":wib5i20v said:

all the best

~R~

Is it noisy like the PQ3?

No !

psychodave":co3pks1o said:
Rufus Leaking":co3pks1o said:
Gainfreak":co3pks1o said:

all the best

~R~

Is it noisy like the PQ3?

No!!

I had the PQ3 and sold it as soon as I got the TC - it is extremely quiet, transparent in bypass and just warm and musical when engaged. Honestly, I don't rave about gear that much but the TC 1140 is about as perfect as it gets for a parametric EQ.

Rufus Leaking":rsjfosy1 said:

You're making me want to buy it back.

The 1140 is perfect. It's totally transparent. It's undervalued (usually cheaper than the Furman), It's silent. It can boost more than the Furman. etc etc etc

The only cool thing about the Furman is who used it. I'm guessing the TC 1140 wasn't around when Dimartini did Out of the Cellar. I'm guessing it was too expensive for Dimebag in '88 if it was even available. etc.

BUY A TC 1140

SgtThump":yvjpbp7i said:
We had an idea that the next Rig-Talk pedal would be a parametric EQ voiced like the Furman PQ3 and designed specifically to drive the front end of a guitar amp. We JUST started talking about it and haven't heard back from Joel at HBE yet. It would've been a pretty cool idea, me thinks. The colors were going to be reversed (the pedal would be yellow with the writing and knobs being blue.)

This MUST happen. :yes: :rock:

any clips of the Furman or the other eq's mentioned?

i saw a few on youtube but they were with a rectum and a randall..not my cup of tea as far as amps go

Speed_Racer71":tbb1e66x said:
any clips of the Furman or the other eq's mentioned?

i saw a few on youtube but they were with a rectum and a randall..not my cup of tea as far as amps go

I used a PQ3 in front of my amp on this track to hop up the gain of my amp to push it into total saturation. In other words I wanted massive hang time! Forgive the reverb and the mix as this was only a test I did a few years ago.

https://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... 12477&q=hi

Back