Mesa MKIIc+ Longheads

fretout":2hdqjcmr said:
psychodave":2hdqjcmr said:
steve_k":2hdqjcmr said:
Same board. The wide head brings the reverb control and the SC/ClassA switch up front. There are a few with the presence up front (reverb on back) that are the holist of grails. A few were delivered with the ++ mod. All sound the same though.

I had a Coliseum 3++ with the presence in the front and no reverb. That amp crushed. I brought it over to Rockin Chippys House one day and his jaw was on the floor. I played it after he played all of his boutique amps. Needless to say, he was pissed after hearing it compared to his amps. He thought I set him up playing it after all of his amps. :LOL: :LOL: The amp threw so much sound you didn’t even need to use the “pull deep” on the master. :yes:

Hey Dave, do you have any info about the amp you’re talking about? I may actually own the amp you’re referring to.
I think you might own the amp you're about to sell to me :LOL: :LOL:

psychodave":2h91p95i said:
fretout":2h91p95i said:
psychodave":2h91p95i said:
steve_k":2h91p95i said:
Same board. The wide head brings the reverb control and the SC/ClassA switch up front. There are a few with the presence up front (reverb on back) that are the holist of grails. A few were delivered with the ++ mod. All sound the same though.

I had a Coliseum 3++ with the presence in the front and no reverb. That amp crushed. I brought it over to Rockin Chippys House one day and his jaw was on the floor. I played it after he played all of his boutique amps. Needless to say, he was pissed after hearing it compared to his amps. He thought I set him up playing it after all of his amps. :LOL: :LOL: The amp threw so much sound you didn’t even need to use the “pull deep” on the master. :yes:

Hey Dave, do you have any info about the amp you’re talking about? I may actually own the amp you’re referring to.

I know who owns it. He lives in Texas and loves the amp. :thumbsup:

Strange coincidence man. I own a Coliseum++ that I was able to trace back to rocking chippy that was sold to me at shop in NY. He made a thread about it years ago, but just wondered if it was the same one based on the story above, since there were a couple similarities.

I have a lot to say about stem cell circuit boards and unicorn pussy but don’t have the energy.
Overrated.
Everyone knows it.

Wrong, the same could be said for profiling amps too. I agree that the rarest of them are still not worth five grand but since hearing the amps I've heard you would have a argument about what's overrated and what's not.

exo-metal":1dtwlzyy said:
fretout":1dtwlzyy said:
psychodave":1dtwlzyy said:
steve_k":1dtwlzyy said:

I think you might own the amp you're about to sell to me :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tone Monster":2gg1v8xx said:
I have a lot to say about stem cell circuit boards and unicorn pussy but don’t have the energy.
Overrated.
Everyone knows it.

Unicorn pussy smells like....skittles.

fretout":2aa7npvt said:
psychodave":2aa7npvt said:
fretout":2aa7npvt said:
psychodave":2aa7npvt said:
steve_k":2aa7npvt said:

I know who owns it. He lives in Texas and loves the amp. :thumbsup:

Strange coincidence man. I own a Coliseum++ that I was able to trace back to rocking chippy that was sold to me at shop in NY. He made a thread about it years ago, but just wondered if it was the same one based on the story above, since there were a couple similarities.

Interesting. I do know Chippy was looking for a Coli after he heard mine. I know for a fact he found a mint one from GC for $800. He wouldn’t send it in to boogie for the ++. He ended up selling it for like $1,800. I honestly think he was afraid it would bury his boutique amps...

EXPcustom":28pa40r8 said:
Wizard of Ozz":28pa40r8 said:
steve_k":28pa40r8 said:

This +1. The short and long heads sound the same. Mike B. @ MB will tell you the same thing. I asked him myself directly. Anyone wishing to pay extra $$$ for some magical long head mojo and elven fairy dust... go right ahead. Despite what any not so upstanding frozen pizza eating “famous” Marshall modding “techs” may tell you. I remember reading something about a fool and his money once...

:yes:
If you're talking about Mark he would agree with you that anyone spending 5k on a IIC+ amp is an idiot. He doesn't think they sound that great and are inconsistent amp to amp.

As for Mike B he seems fed up with the Metallica and C+ fanboys and just tells them what they want to hear, he wants Mesa to move forward as a company not focus on one model they made 30 years ago. He's been with Mesa for over 40 years he's become pretty jaded with the bedroom players. He said yes he knows Mesa secrets but he aint talking. I remember having this conversation with him in the lobby of Mesa.

The layout of an amp makes a huge difference in tone, that's amp building 101. So of course there is a difference in tone between short and long head.

If the market will bear 5k for a long head how is it a fool and his money? I sold my loaded head in 2012 for 5500, I wasn't going turn that type of money away. I thought I did pretty good till I saw other loaded long heads going for 5k.

I really don't see the need for personal attacks over a comment regarding an amps value or how layouts can effect overall tone. Maybe that's why fewer new members and older members are participating because they don't want to get mocked for the amps they own.

I completely and absolutely disagree. Mike has modified 6 amps in the last 3 months for me... so I've had plenty of interaction with him, and he's never sounded "jaded" in the least. And never once has he asked where I use my amps or if I play in a "bedroom", arena, or county fair. I paid him for the work and he delivered. He's always been professional, courteous, and detailed. Your choice of key "hot button" words speak volumes.

"Mesa secrets" WTF?!? I have not clue what you are referring to... yeah... I'll just let that stay there. :scared: :confused:

I can see you want to keep inflating the prices of amps you have and may want sell in the future, but stick to the facts. The long or short head MKIIC+s sound the same, as long as you are comparing an original DRG to DRG... or HRG to HRG etc respectively. The size difference of the chassis is a few inches. Not feet... inches.

This all reminds me of the time last year when someone was going around swearing up and down that Mike was retiring last year... just to drive up the price of their amps and sell them quick. He also had a good chuckle at that one too.

Got to love internet rumors, fairy tales, and magic mods. Good times. Keep pumping up those prices!!!

:doh: :no: :D

While I agree that layout can make a huge difference (e.g. Blackface vs 70s Silverface Fenders), the relocation of one or two pots isn't going to change the sound that much, if at all. Boogies, especially the ones of that era, are really laid out well. IMHO, the differences due to component tolerances are going to be a much bigger difference. Even then, I doubt anyone could tell except when two amps are side by side, in a controlled environment, and with all other variables being the same (guitar, cables, player, tubes, temperature, etc.). In a live or even a studio environment, the differences become inconsequential. If the player believes that they have a great sound, they will play better, and that's the only thing that really matters. Just my opinion. :)

Besides all the talk that makes this forum great another thing that would propel this thread into legendary status, pics of the subject title :D

Wizard of Ozz":23tlkjcu said:
EXPcustom":23tlkjcu said:
Wizard of Ozz":23tlkjcu said:
steve_k":23tlkjcu said:

This +1. The short and long heads sound the same. Mike B. @ MB will tell you the same thing. I asked him myself directly. Anyone wishing to pay extra $$$ for some magical long head mojo and elven fairy dust... go right ahead. Despite what any not so upstanding frozen pizza eating “famous” Marshall modding “techs” may tell you. I remember reading something about a fool and his money once...

:yes:
If you're talking about Mark he would agree with you that anyone spending 5k on a IIC+ amp is an idiot. He doesn't think they sound that great and are inconsistent amp to amp.

As for Mike B he seems fed up with the Metallica and C+ fanboys and just tells them what they want to hear, he wants Mesa to move forward as a company not focus on one model they made 30 years ago. He's been with Mesa for over 40 years he's become pretty jaded with the bedroom players. He said yes he knows Mesa secrets but he aint talking. I remember having this conversation with him in the lobby of Mesa.

The layout of an amp makes a huge difference in tone, that's amp building 101. So of course there is a difference in tone between short and long head.

If the market will bear 5k for a long head how is it a fool and his money? I sold my loaded head in 2012 for 5500, I wasn't going turn that type of money away. I thought I did pretty good till I saw other loaded long heads going for 5k.

I really don't see the need for personal attacks over a comment regarding an amps value or how layouts can effect overall tone. Maybe that's why fewer new members and older members are participating because they don't want to get mocked for the amps they own.

I completely and absolutely disagree. Mike has modified 6 amps in the last 3 months for me... so I've had plenty of interaction with him, and he's never sounded "jaded" in the least. And never once has he asked where I use my amps or if I play in a "bedroom", arena, or county fair. I paid him for the work and he delivered. He's always been professional, courteous, and detailed. Your choice of key "hot button" words speak volumes.

"Mesa secrets" WTF?!? I have not clue what you are referring to... yeah... I'll just let that stay there. :scared: :confused:

I can see you want to keep inflating the prices of amps you have and may want sell in the future, but stick to the facts. The long or short head MKIIC+s sound the same, as long as you are comparing an original DRG to DRG... or HRG to HRG etc respectively. The size difference of the chassis is a few inches. Not feet... inches.

This all reminds me of the time last year when someone was going around swearing up and down that Mike was retiring last year... just to drive up the price of their amps and sell them quick. He also had a good chuckle at that one too.

Got to love internet rumors, fairy tales, and magic mods. Good times. Keep pumping up those prices!!!

:doh: :no: :D
First of all I don't know what you're disagreeing with, I am just stating facts like what long heads sold for in the last year, what I had a conversation about in the lobby of Mesa. These are facts not opinions.

I think you maybe confusing me with someone else. I'm not looking to sell my C+ longhead in fact I'm looking for another with an export transformer, I wish they were cheaper. In fact I wish I had the power to control the price of the used Mesa market by my posts alone, that you seam to think I have.

Here for example is a fully loaded IIC+ with the export transformer, it's been on Ebay for a month and at 4k no one cares really at that price because its a short chassis:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mesa-Boogie-Marc ... 0005.m1851

Here is the fully loaded long head and watch it's going to be gone in a week or less. This seller will defiantly get over 5k for it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Ma ... 1438.l2649

If you look at the completed listings on Reverb you will see one loaded long head sold for 5k in the last six months and the seller was in Maine. I'm actually trying to find a link to post showing the sold listing...

I have no control over these guys nor know them and I doubt they read my posts.

As for Mike he works for Mesa you just like any customer of his will get the best service and treated with the upmost respect. I was just talking about a conversation I had with him in passing when I was there about the business and where it's going, you know shop talk. Take it how you want it but I think you're reading into what I'm writing too much.

Don't know why you're getting so upset, I'm just talking facts about the used market.

Back