School me on Marshall Mods

MOAAH":27hasw8t said:
Cool thread, but no input on Wizard amps?
Ok maybe not a Marshall mod but a Hiwatt.
But is not Hiwatt>Marshall in many ways?

I've never had the pleasure of owning one, but I still think they're as purdy as can be:

Also a word on the Dumble OD.
AFAIK it's the only amp that inserted the extra gain stages after the tone stack, unlike most Marshall Mods or Marshall based amp designs, again AFAIK. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Wizard is based on a Marshall Jubilee.
Lee Jackson used a stage after the EQ in his Marshall mods. Laney used it too.
Mesa used gain stages after the EQ in their MK series amps.
Jerry

MOAAH":2le274zv said:

well... all I can tell is that they must love orange candy drops more than randall smith :LOL: :LOL:
I don't think they're hiwatt based

AFAIK it's the only amp that inserted the extra gain stages after the tone stack, unlike most Marshall Mods or Marshall based amp designs, again AFAIK. Can anyone elaborate on this?

well, the Lee Jackson has a post eq extra gain stage
dumbles aren't marshall based, though
they're directly fender based, so, like mesa marks, the eq tweaks the clean signal right after the first stage

EDIT:
JerryP":2le274zv said:
Jerry

hey, Jerry
glad you're here :thumbsup:
can you give some info on your Marshall mods?
I remember watching some great sounding modded JCM's on your youtube channel

JerryP":3kfyu135 said:
MOAAH":3kfyu135 said:

I've never had the pleasure of owning one, but I still think they're as purdy as can be:

Jerry
Wow Jerry, no wonder why you're one of the three men I admire amp wise the most.
Nice to see you posting here, hope things have been good to you over the years.
Rock on,
Rob

ericsabbath":2ktv4olk said:
MOAAH":2ktv4olk said:

well... all I can tell is that they must love orange candy drops more than randall smith :LOL: :LOL:
I don't think they're hiwatt based

well, the Lee Jackson has a post eq extra gain stage
dumbles aren't marshall based, though
they're directly fender based, so, like mesa marks, the eq tweaks the clean signal right after the first stage
Well I do think the early Wizards were Hiwatt based, but not likely the later Modern or the Metal models. Early models were powerful, clean, and fat(not to mention build quality, circuit layout and cab design); can you say Dave Reeves ;)

Never knew about the Lee Jackson, good info. The only Mesa I ever really liked was the M2c. The M1 was very Fender, still very nice old school tone but not anything over driven in the modern sense.

As for the Dumble OD, I must say I love the drive tone, and yes not a Marshall based amp, but still a very good higher gain design, IMO.

No debate on why Hiwatt>Marshall, say back before the 70s SuperLead :D

Cool thread! I have owned most and my favorite is my bray slp. Wish I still had my lee Jackson modded jmp and Cameron hg Jose jmp. Was thinking of trying out the golub crunch mod as there was one 100 watter for sale with clips that sounded nice. Might get a golub or a Cameron Jose , how bout bfg? Heard he can do anything you want.

Sorry if I stick my foot in my mouth...

I don't own a Marshall "Amp" just cabs, but I live a stones throw from both FJA and Voodoo.

No one mentioned Voodoo...why?

I wish I did own a Marshall or two.

I have two Mesa Boogie Trem-O-Verbs.

Again, don't bash me but, I have worked for two years (I am slow, with family and work and all) changing tubes, adding EQ in the FXLoop and at the front of the amp, including a mid boost from my Radial ToneBone, removing tone pot from my Jem etc., and I now have what I think to be a real close approximation to the brown sound from EVH.

I still have the great Mesa signature sound at my feet with a FXLoop bypass and of course with the EQ in my GMajor being assignable to patches, but overall I really love the sound from EVH first album and 1984 etc. and I cop it pretty well...but of course not exactly because after all they are Mesa's.

The tone really cuts thru in the band mix too...much better than before.

Now I just have to decide which mod house to choose to mod each amp to get CLEANER cleans.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread and please let me know what you think about both mod houses and which you think is better for my amps, thanks.

LukeCurd":28bc2mza said:
Don't worry, I killed my evil twin and he won't be coming back. :yes:

I am trying to trace the lineage of modded marshalls.
Jose
Golub
Cameron
FJA
Fortin
Friedman
the list goes on.

1. I would like to now the main tonal variations and how extra gain stages are achieved.
2. The going price for a gain mod with depth control.
3. The preferred Marshall platform to start modding. mk1 mk2 mk3?
4. Contact info on folks doing mods at this time. There are so many that do not advertise I would like them to have the opportunity to earn some business.

Have you narrowed your list? You could easily spend a load of money buying and flipping. There are magic amps I am sure from each modder and then there are more that are good but not great. A good bit depends on the donor amp as well. The iron and other factors contribute quiet a bit. Cool thread with all of the information posted but I can't see how this will help you much. Knowing whteher an amp is wired cathode follower tells you nothing about how good the amp will be to you. You may as well put all of the modders/builders names in a hat and start there. If you were more specific as to what your desires are we can help point you in certain directions with our experiences on these modders/builders.

I could be wrong, but I think the purpose of this thread was to develop a "database" of info on these mods, not so much to assist in a purchase decision.

I believe it's Luke's attempt to begin creating a repository of info, but in a more tactful manner perhaps than his attempts under the moniker of his evil twin "sickwindsor"...

ericsabbath":2kpwo5so said:
Mike Fortin owns a couple of these

:D

414122_351980824832820_1880153452_o.jpg

414122_351980834832819_899826747_o.jpg

288204_445550885475813_2124140213_o.jpg

JerryP":1o0auwlq said:
MOAAH":1o0auwlq said:

Jerry

Jerry, so are the Wizard amps a better Jubilee? like more low end or a heavier tone?

DET1973":i3cgftxl said:
JerryP":i3cgftxl said:
MOAAH":i3cgftxl said:

Jerry

Jerry, so are the Wizard amps a better Jubilee? like more low end or a heavier tone?

There's some Jubilee influence in the Wizard Metal & Modern Classic design yes, but also more than just that. Tonally, more low end and heavier for sure.

thegame":2iwzjqu2 said:
DET1973":2iwzjqu2 said:
JerryP":2iwzjqu2 said:
MOAAH":2iwzjqu2 said:

Jerry

There's some Jubilee influence in the Wizard Metal & Modern Classic design yes, but also more than just that. Tonally, more low end and heavier for sure.

I might have to check those out. I love my Jube's but i'm always on the look out for new amps to try

ericsabbath":3kohq22h said:
hey, Jerry
glad you're here :thumbsup:
can you give some info on your Marshall mods?
I remember watching some great sounding modded JCM's on your youtube channel

Thanks! I do all sorts of different stuff for mods. I do the common Jose stuff, added stages, cathode follower to a gain stage, etc. Most of my stuff is custom based on what you're looking for and not so much a rubber stamp one sized fits all mod, although I do offer those too.
Jerry

thegame":3v1430ea said:

A bit more than just some, it's very similar to the Jubilee lead channel with a tube stage added.
Jerry

MOAAH":2ahyw9zy said:
Wow Jerry, no wonder why you're one of the three men I admire amp wise the most.
Nice to see you posting here, hope things have been good to you over the years.
Rock on,
Rob

Thanks Rob!

JerryP":1pxyzdoj said:
thegame":1pxyzdoj said:

A bit more than just some, it's very similar to the Jubilee lead channel with a tube stage added.
Jerry

Is the Wizard metal amp more similar to the jubilee or is the classic more similar to the jubilee?

JerryP":1wy3bhil said:
thegame":1wy3bhil said:

Jerry

As the word 'some' refers to an unspecified number, quantity, or degree, how can it be a "bit more" ?

Back