So if Ed used the neck PAF pickup from his ES335 what magnet did Gibson use in the neck p/u?

Actually, we will be the one's who decide for ourselves what is a special tone. You mention Dimebag... at least we know he wasn't a massive Van Halen fanboi. And you would be surprised how well many people on Rig Talk can play. Heck one of the regular members who takes part in nerding out in Van Halen threads plays guitar in David Lee Roth's band. Should he go practice too? And yes, Ed would still play like Ed through Dimebag's rig because plugging in to a different rig doesn't turn you into a different person. He would CERTAINLY have a different tone though and it would be one that none of us would chase.

I hate that Rig Talk requires you to read every single thread on here, even when it's a subject you don't care about. I wish you could just click on the threads that interested you.

morgan freeman hes right you know moving text.gif

mic drop bam.gif

Just watched the Jim Gausted video on WACF tone. So Jim is thinking that Eddie used a 250k pot AND ALSO put a tone pot in his guitar to tame the highs? That seems to me like the kind of things a guy does when he does not like the sound of a pickup at all. Why even use northern ash if you are taking 27 steps to make it not sound like northern ash?

We are all lunatics.

The super expensive limited edition of the Bumblebee does indeed have a tone control hidden in the control cavity.

Start at the 2:00 mark in the video.

Hey.... welcome to the the discussion......

Jim clearly states @ 1 minute timestamp in his VH1 Brown Sound Quest video the pickup in the B/W Franky is an 8.5K Gibson Burstbucker. Maybe he has changed it up since then but that's what he says.

There's a different video of Jim saying that he used a '57 Classic with a short A5 magnet. I don't remember which video it is, though, because there's so much information in his videos that it's hard to keep track! LOL

The picture of Edward with his 1958 Gibson Les Paul (he purchased at Normans Guitars in 1980 he also purchased a 1959 Gibson Les Paul the same day)the first page of this thread that photo was taken from the WACF tour(1980).I’ve never heard of Edward taking the neck pickup out of 1961 Gibson es335 and using the neck pickup for his black and white Franky I always that it was the bridge pickup out of his es335.

Last edited:
The picture of Edward with his 1958 Gibson Les Paul (he purchased at Normans Guitars in 1980 he also purchased a 1959 Gibson Les Paul the same day)the first page of this thread that photo was taken from the WACF tour(1980).I’ve never heard of Edward taking the neck pickup out of 1961 Gibson es335 and using the neck pickup for his black and white Franky I always that it was the bridge pickup out of his es335.
No one knows, or will ever know.

It's all speculation.

:cool:

Just watched the Jim Gausted video on WACF tone. So Jim is thinking that Eddie used a 250k pot AND ALSO put a tone pot in his guitar to tame the highs? That seems to me like the kind of things a guy does when he does not like the sound of a pickup at all. Why even use northern ash if you are taking 27 steps to make it not sound like northern ash?

I don't know... it seems like all this sleuthing from Jim and Ossie are getting farther and farther out there. I have heard some amazing clips from guys using MUCH SIMPLER rigs and much more obvious pickup choices and just nailing phenomenal tones. I think what all this is showing is that you can get very close to that tone using about 15 different pickups and rigs.

Not to kiss ass either, but harddrivers clips of his Super Leads and clones sound phenomenal. I know that if Eddie walked into Sunset Sound with harddrivers current exact rig but in 1978 - 1984 with Donn Landee and Ted Templeman, we would all be geeking out trying to duplicate exactly what harddriver has sitting right next to him as he himself geeks out on wondering if he should be putting a Duncan '59 neck pickup in his guitar. lol

We are all lunatics.
I just like to have fun riding the Crazy Train of EVH tone..........:hys::LOL::2thumbsup:

So I think I want to try a 7.6-7.8K PAF............still not sure what magnets to go for. Kinda shooting for the WACF tone that Jim Gaustad is getting in his WACF video. I will be installing this in an old Kramer that has tone pots so I can roll the tone pot back as in the video if the pickup is too bright with say an A-4 or A-5.

I can get a late 80's vintage Seymour Duncan 7.5K SD59N which uses an A-5 magnet or I can get a new Lindy Fralin Pure PAF neck that I can spec out at 7.8K but the PURE PAF line only uses A-2 magnets or the Modern PAF line at 8K with A-4 magnets. I am afraid the 7.5K Duncan might be too weak or would it be close enough to the 7.65K that Jim uses in the WACF video?

These Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's sound pretty good and I like that they are wax potted......

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/pure-paf/

I don't really want to go more than 7.8K for reason's that I want to try out something different than my 9K SD 78 model A-2 P/U and my 9.7K MM1400 ceramic. I would imagine there isn't a whole lotta difference between 7.8K and 8K..........I am being silly to want no more than 7.8K?

The only other option is the Lindy Fralin Modern PAF at exactly 8K ohms is the only low output option on the Modern PAF line but the modern PAF line uses A-4 AlNiCo magnets.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/modern-paf/

Thoughts?????????

Last edited:
Ed used a random neck pickup from a old Gibson on a bridge and still ended up sounding amazing.

I really need to get my chops and riffs in order.

What up Lumberjack!
i know you’ve been through your share bro bro…

here’s one story i’m sticking to. i went to a plexi shootout a few years ago and we got busy with a stack of vintage amps and axes that’d make rigtalk’s collective chin quiver-
12000 series superlead, super 100 jtm 45/100, superbass, metal panel 50s, bogner and mojave modded plexis…all through period correct cabs and speakers.

View attachment 307554

(and i’ll have you know my peacemaker easily stood toe to toe with these legends!)

after a few hours of elite tone sausage festival homoing, one guy pulls out his flying V and plugs into a ‘72 50 watt plexi and instantly has my attention.

“what pickup is in that thing?”

“a holmes 455..”

crazy that of the 20+ guitars and 12 or so amps we heard, the pickup was what caught my ear!
@mentoneman

Is this the temple of tone, at the end of the road, headed up the mountain?

With a bitchin Camaro and a 930 out front?

My jaw hit the floor when I walked in that room.

Back